Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Silver Commemoratives 50 Piece Set

When building a set, which pieces are the most difficult to find with strong eye appeal?

Which ones if you can find an attractive example should you pay up for?

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you like colorfully toned? Do you like white or untoned? Do you like original packaging toning? Do you prefer rolling or satiny luster? Do you prefer PL examples?

These answers will go a long way toward determining the answers to your questions.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

I’d say - colorful peripheral toning, strong strike, clean fields, no distracting bag marks, and not dipped blast white.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

In Bowers book on Commems, he identifies about seven of the 50 Type Classic Silver Commems as often found with problematic eye appeal. In no particular order:
    Lafayette, Alabama, Missouri, Pan-Pacific, Vancouver, Washington-Carver. The worst is Monroe.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

Great reference. I forgot about that. I would agree, but I’ve seen some nice Vancouver’s in 63-65 recently.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2020 5:39PM

@Along said:
    Great reference. I forgot about that. I would agree, but I’ve seen some nice Vancouver’s in 63-65 recently.

While it's all in the eye of the beholder, regarding the Vancouver, Bowers says "The design.... was such that even a small amount of handling produced friction on the higher spots. When contemplating a coin for purchase, check the obverse portrait, for it nearly always shows evidence of friction and handling, often on coins certified in high grades." In 1980, Anthony Swiatek said "...thousands being barely Mint State or sliders or worse, many poorly cleaned." In 1982 there was a small nice hoard found that added to the supply of Mint State pieces, but even with that, Bowers says "TRUE Mint State coins are rare".

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

Thanks for the info. I’m really enjoying putting a set together.

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

Strike is most important to me

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice balance in toning.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might want to spend some time on CoinFacts to see what the most frequent toning patterns are for each issue. One issue which is very hard to find with toning is the Spanish Trail. Vermont often comes with golden or brown toning but rarely with wild color. Connecticuts are hard to find with really colorful toning. Etc.

• Options

That’s a great idea, thanks