Home Sports Talk
Options

For the horse racing fans among us

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are your thoughts on the revamped Triple Crown races schedule? Leading it off will be the Belmont Stakes at a shorter distance. Traditionally the last race of the TC at 1 1/2 miles. Looks like the asterisk will be in much use this year in the sports world.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2020 2:46PM

Definitely asterisked.

The Belmont being first up will burn out some of these top contenders. Don't know if Baffert will run both of his charges in here.

I like the Kentucky Derby in September. Solely because it gives undefeated Maxfield (my future bet from 2 months ago) time to get ready off his long layoff from injury. He shouldn't run in the Belmont, needs another lower rated race (Santa Anita Derby) before the Run for the Roses..

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2020 7:49PM

I currently own two thoroughbred horses, and have been an owner and fan forever. I have a gelding running at Golden Gate, and a filly running at Laurel Park.

The Triple Crown races are a mess this year, but it’s the best they can do. Shortening the Belmont to 1 1/8 miles makes complete sense, given the training schedule for 3 year olds. BTW, the distance of the Belmont Stakes has been changed 5 or 6 times.

No asterisk needed. Any horse who wins the Triple is an absolute Monster.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ask Grote which horses are going to win.

He's correctly picked every Triple Crown trifecta since 1975.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love horse racing. I've been a racing fan since my early 20's when I'd go across the bridge to Fort Erie. Nags are my specialty although I'd hardly quit my day job picking winners. Anything they come up with is ok by me.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2020 9:56AM

Never met anyone who could make a living betting them.