Home Q & A Forum
Options

Mint error on 2007 Idaho State Quarter??

I'm trying to find out if my assessment of a die repair to a damaged die as discovered from the Reverse of a 2007 Idaho State Quarter is accurate. Also, there appears to be some grease strike through on the coin. Please pardon my attempt at describing what I believe to be an error. Obviously, I may be wrong, and I welcome any positive feedback with an open mind.

Attempts to repair dies, prolonging die life, is done all of the time in manufacturing to keep costs of Production in line. However, releasing a repaired die into Production whose repair no longer matches the intended design is an error by the mint.

On the pictured coins, look at the words 'ESTO PERPETUA'. Pay particular attention to the look of the 'ERP'. Note the difference between the good coin example and error coin example. Although there appears to be a grease strike through on the coin, it is not what I want to draw your attention to.

If you compare the close up of the known good 2007 Idaho State Quarter to that of the damaged Quarter, it almost appears as if there was a poor attempt at a die repair. The reason that I don't suspect just die wear is because the angles of repaired letter flats do not match those of the known good example. Additionally, it appears as if the repairs were hastily made with a dremel with a carbide bit (just a guess), then followed up using a file. It also looks like an attempt may been made to fill the worn area with weld prior to the grinding and filing repair. I say this because of the sharp corners instead of rounded curves on the 'R', along with the bottom flat of the 'E' protruding northeast into the area that should show up as a full relief on the coin's surface.

The 'P' seems to have possibly had a crack repaired that ran from the field on the southeast side of the leg (adjacent to the narrow incused bridge that crosses the leg), heading northwest through the leg of the 'P', back into the next field heading towards the head of the 'R', where a small cud can be seen near the inside of the head of the 'R' where it meets the leg of the 'R' (at the northwest edge of the inside circular field-to-relief interface). In addition, it seems as if an attempt to maintain the leg width of 'P' was made (as the western side leg of the 'P' follows the contour of the eastern side of the leg of the 'P'). Also, the D-shape in the head of the 'P' should be in oval, which further points to possible relief work on the die. To further make my point, normal die wear would not have sharp intersections where distinct profiles make an abrupt change in direction.

The grease strike through creates an incuse defect into the surface of the coin. And, the deformed letters create a relief defect when compared to a normal coin. So, I don't think they're directly related.

I have no idea whether this repaired die was left in Production at the mint, or quickly pulled from service once the coins were examined. So, it's impossible to know (if I'm correct) how many examples are out in circulation. I have looked online, and can't find examples of this. I find die cracks, chips and cuds all leading towards needing a repair. However, I haven't found examples of such a poor attempt at a repair. Or, more specifically, I haven't found any attempts to repair a die, which should have been retired from service rather than repaired. I would like to find out if others have seen similar things on coins they have found or know about. Is it possible to place a premium on such a coin? Or, should I stick it in drawer somewhere in my house and forget about any premium valuation? No, I'm not going to spend it, or give it away.

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The P and other letters in PERPETUA look like they took a hit and were damaged while in circulation. Not seeing anything in the R, but if there was something based on your description, it would be called a die chip or internal die break. A cud is used to describe a chip or crack that runs through the rim.

It does look a minor Struck Through error in the field. However it's minor.

Sorry, but your quarter is only worth face value. Nothing wrong with keeping it if you like it.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

I think I'm gonna wash the coin with mild dish soap and water. And, if not clean enough then dip the coin in lab grade acetone to try and remove some of the dirt that may be confusing me. After all, what I thought was a cud in the head of the 'R' (internal die chip) could just be dirt. Oh, btw, thanks for the clarification on cud versus internal die chip/crack.

That said, I am curious to see if I can see lines of deformation under more light and at different angles. Since I'm stuck at home during the Covid-19 Pandemic, I'm looking for anything to help waste time. :)

Do you feel the internal mishaped head of the 'P' (added material creating a D-shape rather than an oval) is a characteristic of a die variety? (Again, please compare the picture of the good Quarter to the picture of the bad Quarter.)

Thanks.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin is not a new variety. The letters are distorted because whatever hit the coin displaced metal. The P took a big hit on the top as well as the bottom. You can also see hits in the field and on many of the other letters.

If you do find anything in the R, it will be very minor and won't add value. Die chips are common in many state and ATB quarters.

Hope this helps

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Yes, thank you. I will look forward to having something to do, anyway. I figure it makes more sense to chase butterflies on a damaged coin than to pull my hair out going crazy during 2-1/2 months of state imposed lockdown. :s