Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My Hockey Project - 1990's - early 2000's Detroit Red Wings HOF Rookie Cards

I don't collect hockey cards anymore, but when I lived in Detroit I was a huge fan of the Detroit Red Wings. Starting in the early 1990's I knew how it felt to be Yankee fan when one future HOF'er after another came to Detroit to get a ring. I started picking up nice rookies from board members. I already had Yzerman and Fedorov. So far I have Paul Coffey (1992-96), Dino Ciccarelli (1992-96), Chris Chelios (1998-2009, longer than he played in Chicago), and Brett Hull (2001-04). I need to get a Brendan Shanahan to pair with the Hull and Luc Robitaille. I need to figure out which Lidstrom, CuJo, Hasek, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg to get. I am on the fence on Mike Vernon.

It was a great time to be a hockey fan. Even a casual fan like me got into it.

Mike

Comments

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

I collected hockey actively during the early to mid 80s. Unfortunately I was a Topps loyalist and never picked up any OPC.

You have a nice set.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was an Avalanche fan during the same era you were a Wings fan. What a great timing to follow hockey and a great rivalry between our squads!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Consider some of the foreign cards for the HOF'ers too. The 1979 Fetisov, 1983 Larionov, 1987 Fedorov, 1989 Lidstrom, 1989 Hasek (plus, the 1987 Konstantinov since he would have been in the HOF if not for the limousine accident) are all great cards too own. Could consider items like the London Knights Shanny and Minn. Duluth Hull too, as well as the 1983 Canada Yzerman.

• rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭

Nice collection, I'm an avid Patrick Roy collector and remember those fights with Vernon and Osgood well. Great rivalry back in the day.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• 80sRockNut80sRockNut Posts: 67 ✭✭

As an AVs fan, I say burn them all! Do I still sound salty even after the DeadWings jumped over to the eastern conference??? LOL

With that said, beautiful set that you have so far. For the Hasek RC, I have both versions (American and French) of his '91 Upper Deck card. For the Magic Man and Z, the gold standards (IMHO) are their Young Guns.