Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL Fourth and 15 rule?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone heard about the new NFL fourth and 15 rule that is being proposed? The rule proposes that teams can retain possession of the ball after a score by converting a fourth and 15 instead of recovering an onside kick. Under the proposed rule, put forth by Steve's Philadelphia Eaglets, a team would have the option of one offensive play from it's own 25 yard line rather than kicking off after a score. If the team can pick up 15 yards, then they retain possession of the ball. The rule will be voted on by team owners in a virtual meeting on May 28. If the rule passes, then onside kicks would be a thing of the past.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Andy Reid says he's fine with the rule change, because Patrick Mahomes can pick up the necessary yardage for the Chiefs.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like it, only about a 10 percent chance of converting a on side kick, over 20 percent chance of converting a 4th and 15. they should make it 4th and 20 to make it more comparable

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Andy Reid says he's fine with the rule change, because Patrick Mahomes can pick up the necessary yardage for the Chiefs.

Sure, a team with an explosive QB will love the rule. Teams with below average offenses will not.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    I don't like it, only about a 10 percent chance of converting a on side kick, over 20 percent chance of converting a 4th and 15. they should make it 4th and 20 to make it more comparable

It was roughly 20% before the rule changes so this is about equal to that.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. The new rule changes in recent years to the kickoff has made getting an onside kick nearly impossible. NFL teams were 2 for 30 last year, or recovering 6% of them. It's basically a waste of time.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:
    I like it. The new rule changes in recent years to the kickoff has made getting an onside kick nearly impossible. NFL teams were 2 for 30 last year, or recovering 6% of them. It's basically a waste of time.

Just give the ball to the other team on the 25 yard line and quit trying to reinvent the game. If kick-offs are so dangerous eliminate them.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

the ends of games is starting to feel like nascar , 4 green white checkers per week is too many, just end it so we can go home or switch channels already

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Grief! Let's just change it so that you can pass from anywhere on the field as many times as you want. The game is already unrecognizable!!!!!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly large leads in the fourth quarter wouldn't matter as much as before. I mean in theory a team could get lucky and score three or four touchdowns within a minute.

But i guess that's what it's designed to do, keep fans watching the game no matter what the score. And so keep them watching those TV ads.

Also bookies could then offer more in-game proposition bets.

All about the money as usual.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not just put all the players from one team in one end zone ………. the other team in the other end zone...….put the ball on the 50 yard line......no refs (they are useless anyway) then blow a horn! Anything goes and the play isn't over until someone scores!!!!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate the new rule. I like the onside kick as it was a few years ago. Last year we saw very few conversions.