Home Sports Talk
Options

Best sports video games

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are some of the best sports video games of all time?

Comments

• Options

NBA Jam. Boom shaka laka!

• Options

Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2020 4:07AM

Nintendo Ice Hockey, NHL ‘94, Madden are the best. Summer of 1990, me and my buddy played a best of 7 Nintendo I e Hockey. I was Checkoslavakia and he was Poland, I go up 3-0, he storms back winning the next 3 games, game 7 I’m up 6-5 and he ties it with 15 seconds to go to force OT! I get up and proceed to punch a hole in the wall of my apartment. I did win in OT- 7-6. Good times 😊👍👍

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Nintendo Ice Hockey, NHL ‘94, Madden are the best. Summer of 1990, me and my buddy played a best of 7 Nintendo I e Hockey. I was Checkoslavakia and he was Poland, I go up 3-0, he storms back winning the next 3 games, game 7 I’m up 6-5 and he ties it with 15 seconds to go to force OT! I get up and proceed to punch a hole in the wall of my apartment. I did win in OT- 7-6. Good times 😊👍👍

😂 Awesome story, I remember playing Mike Tyson's Punch Out back in the day, and there was a cheat code you could use to fight Tyson and skip over the other fighters, but I was determined to go through the whole game on my own and beat every fighter and then beat Tyson. I must have sat there for three straight days until I finally did it, because your opponents get more difficult as you go along, and I had trouble with Mr. Sandman and Super Macho man. Finally I got to Tyson, and he just kept knocking me out and I would get mad and sling stuff around the room. Finally I was able to figure out his punching combinations, and TKO'd him. I'll never forget that feeling, it was one heck of a rush!

• Options

We keep a tab of our greatest games ever played lol

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

no sports game after 1995 or so unless maybe its golf?

It boggles my mind they come out with a new hockey , baseball, football, NBA , soccer, nascar , etc every year. Go to a thrift store or used game store and they sit there with a foot of dust on them , cant get a dollar for any of that garbage.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    We keep a tab of our greatest games ever played lol

😂😂😂😂

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

It boggles my mind they come out with a new hockey , baseball, football, NBA , soccer, nascar , etc every year. Go to a thrift store or used game store and they sit there with a foot of dust on them , cant get a dollar for any of that garbage.

There's supposedly a Madden curse, when a player is featured on the front of the latest Madden game, something bad happens to that player. I haven't kept up with the cover of Madden lately, but I think someone broke the curse, Brady or Mahomes or someone?

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@bronco2078 said:

There's supposedly a Madden curse, when a player is featured on the front of the latest Madden game, something bad happens to that player. I haven't kept up with the cover of Madden lately, but I think someone broke the curse, Brady or Mahomes or someone?

Mahomes definitely did, he was on the cover and won the Super Bowl. Google it though, it’s pretty weird the history behind it. Same thing with SI, Sports Illistrated is actually worse!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2020 6:35AM

when you encounter a player who runs a 1.7 40 and literally can't be tackled, of course you're going to regularly eschew food, sleep or any act that would relieve pressure on a vital organ.

but giving the ball to Bo wasn't good enough. you had to max out the yardage on every touchdown so he could top 10,000 yards in a single game. so you did things like intentionally allow the opposition to score, then run out of bounds at the 1-microinch line on every single kickoff. but even the 99.99999-yd house calls got boring, so you had to make him run the length of the field twice before he could score, breaking 2,581 tackles along the way.

i honestly have no idea whether or not Jay Schroeder could even throw in this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBvOxicz-0

• Options

Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl the best player in the history of any sport video game ever. Case closed and it’s not even debatable

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@bronco2078 said:

Mahomes definitely did, he was on the cover and won the Super Bowl. Google it though, it’s pretty weird the history behind it. Same thing with SI, Sports Illistrated is actually worse!

Man, I checked it out, and the Sports Illustrated curse has it's own wikipedia page, with a list of victims a mile long! That was brutal to read through. It also shows this cover of Sports Illustrated. I wouldn't want my team or favorite player anywhere near that cover!

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2020 7:04AM

My video game prime was 80s and 90s. Besides the ones already mentioned, I'd add Mortal Kombat, if you consider blood sport a "sports video game". Hours and hours of play, with elaborate competitions and brackets amongst friends.

Tiger Woods Golf was one I liked to play, and I actually hate golf, so you know it had to be good. I've enjoyed some of the more recent Wii games with my nieces and nephews. The bowling and the boxing and the tennis. I can't remember the name of the NBA game for the original Nintendo, but I'd always take the Celtics and rain 3s down with Larry Bird all day long. I was ahead of my time, an innovator of the current style of play 25 years beforehand.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2020 7:16AM

Techmo Bowl was the shiz!

If Mortal Kombat counts, Virtua Fighter does too...I liked that one better and when I worked at CNN.com there was an arcade in the lobby there and we'd take our midnight breaks playing Virtua Fighter before they closed it for a restaraunt.

My wife loves the wii bowling. And when NBA Jam came out for the wii I picked that up, sooo many hours of boom shaka laka from back in the day reborn.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@bronco2078 said:

Man, I checked it out, and the Sports Illustrated curse has it's own wikipedia page, with a list of victims a mile long! That was brutal to read through. It also shows this cover of Sports Illustrated. I wouldn't want my team or favorite player anywhere near that cover!

Let me tell you how pissed off me and my buddy were in 2012 when right before the Patriots Super Bowl Appearance when they put Bob Kraft on the cover 🤬 Ofcourse the Giants beat the Pats for the second time 🤬🤬🤬

• Options
    edited May 20, 2020 10:04AM

Man that is weird. I did a little research and discovered that Cam Newton was on the cover right before the Panthers lost to the Broncos in the Super Bowl. Of course, I hold Cam Newton personally responsible for that loss with his stupidity and selfishness. Cam is never getting off the hook with me for that loss! You hear that Cam, not even a 70 year old curse is going to get you off the hook!!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Man that is weird. I did a little research and discovered that Cam Newton was on the cover right before the Panthers lost to the Broncos in the Super Bowl. Of course, I hold Cam Newton personally responsible for that loss with his stupidity and selfishness. Cam is never getting off the hook with me for that loss! You hear that Cam, not even a 70 year old curse is going to get you off the hook!!

The thing about Cam that will always stick out is when he made ZERO effort to recover that fumble. It was absolutely ridiculous especially on that stage.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

The thing about Cam that will always stick out is when he made ZERO effort to recover that fumble. It was absolutely ridiculous especially on that stage.

Exactly, and that's what enrages me to this day. There is just no excuse for not diving on that fumble. I better step back perk, my blood is starting to boil! We could have possibly had a Lombardi trophy!

• Options
    edited May 20, 2020 12:18PM

It amazes me how far the graphics on these games have come over the years...

1988 Nintendo Jordan vs Bird

NBA2k20 Play Station 4

• Options

It’s ridiculous Double D! Btw are you on PS4?????

• Options

@perkdog said:

Actually, my buddy has one, but I haven't bought one yet. I am considering getting one because they are highly addictive!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Actually, my buddy has one, but I haven't bought one yet. I am considering getting one because they are highly addictive!

Wait for PS5 to come out this winter and we will hook up online to play 👍👍

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Yeah, that sounds awesome! I forgot it's almost time for the PS5 to be released!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Yeah, that sounds awesome! I forgot it's almost time for the PS5 to be released!

Right before the Holidays I believe

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Right before the Holidays I believe

I remember when PS4 came out, they showed people sleeping in tents outside the store so they could get there first. I've got a tent, and I'll use it if I have to. ;)

• Options

@doubledragon said:

NBA2k20 Play Station 4

WRONG !

As the graphics got better the game got stupider .

You could play with a 2 button controller back then now you need 27 buttons a manual thicker than a dictionary and a full time broadband internet connection and you are bored with it in a day

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@doubledragon said:

NBA2k20 Play Station 4

WRONG !

As the graphics got better the game got stupider .

You could play with a 2 button controller back then now you need 27 buttons a manual thicker than a dictionary and a full time broadband internet connection and you are bored with it in a day

🤔

• Options

madden lost me in 1996 with the 3d , I think NHL was the same.

I remember looking at the box and saying oh it needs DOS , 8 mb , and a pentium 120 I should be good!

Then had to turn off all the graphics anyway and was left with stick figures in slow motion

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

NFL Blitz on N64 was great. MLB The Show is by far my favorite though.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

I remember when PS4 came out, they showed people sleeping in tents outside the store so they could get there first. I've got a tent, and I'll use it if I have to. ;)

Joe Louis will not be happy with you spending even one night away from him, not to mention you spending that kind of money on a "new mistress". Think of all the knockoff brands of food you'll need to eat to compensate for what a PS5 purchase will do to your Joe Louis budget. Don't do it, man...

By the way, I have no idea what this is, but my LCS had one, so took a pic. Here's a gratuitous pic of a Joe Louis card. Just look at him. Do you really want to be the one to disappoint Joe?

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

I remember looking at the box and saying oh it needs DOS , 8 mb , and a pentium 120 I should be good!

Then had to turn off all the graphics anyway and was left with stick figures in slow motion

Funny story, I go to Best Buy and pick up the PS4 and a sweet $599 55 inch all the bells and whistles TV and get home ( 30 minute drive both ways ) and I find out it can’t handle the speed of the PS4 🙄. Next day I had to go back and buy a $1500 TV 😐

• Options

@countdouglas said:

@doubledragon said:

Joe Louis will not be happy with you spending even one night away from him, not to mention you spending that kind of money on a "new mistress". Think of all the knockoff brands of food you'll need to eat to compensate for what a PS5 purchase will do to your Joe Louis budget. Don't do it, man...

By the way, I have no idea what this is, but my LCS had one, so took a pic. Here's a gratuitous pic of a Joe Louis card. Just look at him. Do you really want to be the one to disappoint Joe?

😂😂 Oh, believe me I've got some thinking to do before jumping into any purchases! Video games are the natural enemy of the card hobby. That card you took a picture of is the famous 1938 Churchmans Joe Louis card! Believe it or not, I haven't purchased a copy of it because I would like to get a PSA 9 copy of it, which is the highest ever graded, but I haven't been able to find an affordable PSA 9. There is a PSA 9 on Ebay right now, but it is $2,400 so the hunt will have to continue. I've pondered getting a PSA 8, but that PSA 9 is just a dream card, and I can't let go of the dream. I'll probably end up getting PSA 8 because they are going for around $80.00 which is a HUGE price difference of over $2,000.

• Options
    edited May 21, 2020 9:19AM

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

Funny story, I go to Best Buy and pick up the PS4 and a sweet $599 55 inch all the bells and whistles TV and get home ( 30 minute drive both ways ) and I find out it can’t handle the speed of the PS4 🙄. Next day I had to go back and buy a $1500 TV 😐

play station lost me at the ps2 .

I love the grand theft auto games , I was so excited when the ps3 came out to get grand theft auto 4 or whatever it was. I was pissed when I started playing , can barely drive the car without hitting stuff and I've gotta keep answering texts from my girlfriend?

Ummmmmmm I play games so I don't have to do that you morons

Out in my garage mancave I have a ps2 set up and play grand theft auto 3 , vice city , and san andreas . When I get tired of those I play gran turismo 1 ;)

if my sega genesis hadnt died I'd be playing roadrash on it smack other riders with a billy club to knock them ourt of the lead

• Options

Here is another classic from back in the day, the Turbo Grafx 16. These graphics were so cool back then.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:
    NFL Blitz on N64 was great.

Oh forgot about blitz, used to love playing that and doing the gang pile on opposite player/team.

• Options

Unless of course, I find a way to combine video games and Joe Louis. Check out Joe Louis on Fight Night Champions!