Home U.S. Coin Forum

I just checked off an aviation bucket list item... what's on your numismatic bucket list?

2»

Comments

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:

When I get to a computer will try to add a link to his interesting account of the journey. He went second class.

I would not go first class, just a bunch of boring foreign tourists. When I travelled around Europe back in the 1990s on a Eurail pass I purchased 1st class. I found it more interesting to give up the comfy suite for the party in second class. Met lots of great people that gave good advice on places to see - took the advice and travelled to Scandinavia even though it was not on my itinerary and it was the highlight of the trip.

When I was in Ukraine my preferred means of travel was by train. It was slow, usually overnight to go any distance - but it was safer than flying. I only flew once there, from Odesa to Donets'k because I was in a hurry - but air travel anywhere in the former USSR is sketchy - that flight was on Південні авіалінії - South Airlines back in 2008. A few years ago that airline went out of business because of a crash. I had managed to travel over most of the country over a period of the couple of years I was there, except for Crimea - and I regret that we didn't go with family when we could have.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2020 3:34PM

@airplanenut

BTW Jeremy, when the Mexicana Air Captain told me to jump into his seat for the picture, I happened to glance over at the much younger co-pilot (who was obviously at the controls). Man, if looks could kill. He was clearly not happy with the Captain's decision. He didn't say a single word, but he didn't like the situation...AT ALL.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2020 10:25PM

@1northcoin said:

@amwldcoin said:
    I thought about doing the Trans Siberian trip. To do so in the type of accommodations I would want to do it was off the charts price wise 15 years ago! I'm tempted out of curiosity to see how much it costs now.

I found a blog post from an American with Russian heritage (I.e. he spoke some Russian) who did it in 2018. Not sure what passport issues he may have encountered with regard to Ukraine but for U.S. Citizen assume it would still be do able.

When I get to a computer will try to add a link to his interesting account of the journey. He went second class.

Here is the promised link. Actually two separate links. The first is about a stop enroute and the second contains tips for how to enjoy the train. Note these are only two of a series of separate postings about different aspects of the journey. There are links back to earlier segments at the end of each reading. Interesting photos are also included in each segment.

https://gregkogan.com/journal/russia-trans-siberian-railway-yekaterinburg/

https://gregkogan.com/journal/russia-trans-siberian-railway-packing-list/

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:

@1northcoin said:

I would not go first class, just a bunch of boring foreign tourists. When I travelled around Europe back in the 1990s on a Eurail pass I purchased 1st class. I found it more interesting to give up the comfy suite for the party in second class. Met lots of great people that gave good advice on places to see - took the advice and travelled to Scandinavia even though it was not on my itinerary and it was the highlight of the trip.

When I was in Ukraine my preferred means of travel was by train. It was slow, usually overnight to go any distance - but it was safer than flying. I only flew once there, from Odesa to Donets'k because I was in a hurry - but air travel anywhere in the former USSR is sketchy - that flight was on Південні авіалінії - South Airlines back in 2008. A few years ago that airline went out of business because of a crash. I had managed to travel over most of the country over a period of the couple of years I was there, except for Crimea - and I regret that we didn't go with family when we could have.

It will sure be nice once we can travel again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file