Home Sports Talk
Options

The 1998 slugfest

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you remember the 1998 MLB season? There is an ESPN 30 for 30 documentary being released in June about the McGwire vs Sosa slugfest.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1998 Season was awesome! I loved that HR chase!!

• Options

@perkdog said:
    That 1998 Season was awesome! I loved that HR chase!!

Yes it was awesome, and there's speculation that the news of this documentary being released has caused the price of Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire rookie cards to go up in price. I'm looking forward to watching the documentary, and I love 30 for 30 documentaries. I've seen a few 30 for 30 documentaries already and they're usually very entertaining.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

The 1998 HR chase was a bi-product of the 1994 players strike, IMO. Baseball was dying in '95, 96 and needed something to create excitement and interest. What is more exciting than home runs? They all knew something was going on (Bud Selig, Donald Fehr, players and owners). Fehr represented the players union and did his part to block testing (PED's) for as long as he could. I remember the excitement........... baseball was back and the '98 season will always be a part of history.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was it the slugfest or pedsfest? Stats shouldn't count for either one of them!

• Options

I'll tell you what, Sammy Sosa sure has changed since 1998.

Today

• Options
    edited May 17, 2020 9:18AM

Sammy Sosa's appearance has gotten more bizarre over the years, and at this rate, he'll look like this 10 years from now...

• Options

I remember McGwire and Sosa slugging it out, Griffey was hanging around but I knew he wasn’t keeping pace with those guys. If I remember correctly without looking I think the HR totals were McGwire 70, Sosa 66? And Griffey 58. I’m going to check now

• Options
    edited May 17, 2020 11:52AM

Nope I was wrong about Griffey. Thought I’d be wrong about Sosa !

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

It was fun to watch though Jon! I always felt that season motivated Bonds to do the PEDS. Dallas should be around soon to say “But they weren’t playing baseball” 😂

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon

Actually it looks like Sammy took the Presidents advice and chugged some bleach. Covid-19 humor???

• Options

@sayheywyo said:
    @doubledragon

Actually it looks like Sammy took the Presidents advice and chugged some bleach. Covid-19 humor???

Yes that is hilarious 😂😂😂

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

It was fun to watch though Jon! I always felt that season motivated Bonds to do the PEDS. Dallas should be around soon to say “But they weren’t playing baseball” 😂

I am 100% convinced he started using them before the 1993 season. Before 1993, he went to a pitcher's park. A STRONG pitcher's park.

From 1993 to 2004, a stretch of 12 seasons, he hit LESS than 34 homers ONCE. And that was 33 during the shortened 1995 season. He hit 37 in 112 games in 1994!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I am 100% convinced he started using them before the 1993 season. Before 1993, he went to a pitcher's park. A STRONG pitcher's park.

From 1993 to 2004, a stretch of 12 seasons, he hit LESS than 34 homers ONCE. And that was 33 during the shortened 1995 season. He hit 37 in 112 games in 1994!

I would guess that Bonds certainly could have started in the early 1990's, then went to a higher dosage and harder workouts in response to the 1998 "slugfest".

The rumors I have heard was that Barry got pi$$ed off because of all the attention Sammy and Mark were getting, when he was the better player. He then bulked up to become whatever it was he became.

In looking at SLG, Barry seemed to have three different "levels";
    1987-1991 .519
    1992-1999 .619
    2000-2004 .782

As far as "Park Factors" are concerned, I found that Three Rivers was 100,6 and Candlestick was 97.5. Is that a lot? Other information seems to indicate that the wind might have helped a left handed batter.

Bonds slugged at a .503 mark in Pittsburgh and .666 in SF.

666 now that's interesting!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rumor has always been he started after 1998 because of Mac & Sammy. Not sure I buy that. He may altered his program but I'm convinced he started earlier.

Ballpark effects for Candlestick:

1993 - 91
    1994 - 99
    1995 - 93
    1996 - 99
    1997 - 97
    1998 - 09

So his first three years, when his power numbers jumped by a HUGE margin, he was in a very strong pitcher's park 2 of the 3 years. To give you an idea - Dodger Stadium in 1963 was a 93 and in 1968 it was a 90.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    The rumor has always been he started after 1998 because of Mac & Sammy. Not sure I buy that. He may altered his program but I'm convinced he started earlier.

SOMETHING different sure happened between 2000-2004. His 4 year average is higher than any single season by Ted Williams.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set