Home Sports Talk
Options

annual physical yesterday, which afforded me the opportunity to talk covid-19/sports with my doc

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 14, 2020 10:49PM in Sports Talk

first of all, i don't know if any of you have been to a doctor during the pandemic, but it was quite the experience for me. the moment i set foot in the medical building (not my dr's actual office), i was placed in front of a firing squad. once my answers were deemed satisfactory and my temp checked out, i proceeded to his office. after the exam i picked his brain.

(paraphrasing)

me: "in your opinion, how is this all going to play out?"

him: "even though i'm in the medical field it's still largely conjecture on my part, but i will say that i'm concerned about the loosening that's going on. for obvious reasons, there's a good chance that the virus will flare up and offset any gains that have been made."

me: "i know you love sports as much as i do. predictions on how the remainder of 2020 plays out heading into 2021?"

him: "i'm not optimistic there either. one thing to remember: when late fall/winter rolls around, a potential second wave is going to coincide with influenza season. all of a sudden you're confronted with a two-headed monster that could very well make the spring/summer look tame by comparison."

i walked out of there with a plethora of questions.

how is this going to work with 60,000 people in a stadium?

how is this going to work with no fans?

if they attempt to play and athletes contract the virus left & right, then what?

if baseball disbands will it make a sound?

should i take an entire bottle of melatonin and wake up in 2022?

should i just forget about sports and start collecting dimes?

when are bars opening back up?

:s:s:s:s:s

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll say this, it does concern me about the loosening as well. I thought once we once we knocked it down, it would be best to keep it down, but by reopening things, we could be giving it the chance to get back up.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

"should i just forget about sports and start collecting dimes?" No No @galaxy27 ....you don't want to do that! :oB)>:)

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem with a collecting dimes addiction is that it can lead to other addictions such as collecting quarters. 😉

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are various ways of getting all of the NFL season in.

That is if they leave the stinkin' lawyers out of it.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many players and pundits are talking about how without the fans there are no professional sports.

But I find this a bit misleading. For a long time now the and in attendance who generate the money are the corporations buying suites and the millionaires in the good seats. The franchises that stink split money with the good ones, all rich from TV deals.

My point is that the regular, average Joe fan is not the lifeblood of the teams money.

The trillions of dollars in these recent wealth transfers are more proof of the deceptive and intentional destruction of the working class. As I have said for years (and get mostly disagreement) the US government's ability to fund whatever they wish is unlimited. The back and forth bickering about budgets and whether to find or cut social programs is simply part of the way they push a false right/left paradigm meant to further divide us.