Home Sports Talk
Options

I'll have two with no onions!

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't been to a pro sports event in years, so what are the prices for food like at pro sporting events? Do I have to take out a loan to get a hotdog?

Comments

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I haven't been to a pro sports event in years, so what are the prices for food like at pro sporting events? Do I have to take out a loan to get a hotdog?

It is not uncommon at all at Royals games to see people bring their own hot dogs inside the stadium after tailgating beforehand.

I've seen whole rows or sections bring in enough various items inside the ballpark in their hot and cold carriers to have a whole spread of hot dogs, hamburgers, bratwurst, potato salad, baked beans, chips, all the condiments, etc.

Personally, I usually bring a sub sandwich and chips, usually a bag of peanuts, sometimes Twizzlers or some fun sized chocolate candy bars. I have on occasion brought KFC or Wendy's, even a pizza.

Every Friday home game was unlimited $1 hot dogs and $1 peanuts. You could buy one of the souvenir cups with your choice of soft drink for $9. It would come with a sticker on the side indicating a free refill "Today Only".

The person working the concession stand would never peel it off, though. So you could get unlimited refills that day, take the cup home, wash it, and take it to the next game for more refills. Every so often, they'd change the design of the cup that they were selling, so there was a chance that the scheme wouldn't work, but if you got in the line with the old lady with glasses working the register, odds are better than 50/50 that you could still get away with slipping a cup from 2016 by her.

They run a similar promotion with the popcorn. For about double the price of a paper bucket full of popcorn, you can buy a commemorative plastic one, good for unlimited refills all season long. I'm not a popcorn guy, really, and already bring enough snacks that carrying around a bucket "just in case" is not very convenient. However, I did buy one back in 2012, as I liked the All-Star design.

Anyway, my point being, at least in KC, anyone that complains about food prices at the game, it's their own fault.

You can certainly find expensive items to purchase, if that's something you want to do. I think you can buy "specialty" hot dogs, some crazy size, like 18 inches or 2 feet or whatever, with some crazy amount of toppings with it, that require a small loan, but that's never been my thing. They've added a couple locations in the stadium for those, also serving grilled bratwurst and hamburgers with some fancy names, but I've not once ever ventured over to check it out. I'll admit, it looks tasty when I see fans nearby with it, but then I remember that I brought my $5 foot long and a giant 32 oz bag of peanuts that cost $2 at the grocery store and my free refill cup, and I just laugh at them.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome write up Count!

• Options

That's one heck of a post Count! I like how the Royals do things in KC!

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mercedez Benz in Atlanta does some really good food prices.

$1.50 hot dogs, $5 cheeseburger, $3 cokes unlimited refills, $3 pizza slices or a whole large pie for like $15.

State Farm arena right next door has cheap food too but I haven't been in there since they redid the inside a couple years ago.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2020 7:57AM

Augusta National's menu in 2014

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Awesome write up Count!

@doubledragon said:

Thanks, guys. I've been a Royals full season ticket holder since 2012, so when you spend so much time at the stadium, you quickly learn the ins and outs of how things really work. A lot of people on this board bash MLB, and the food prices, ticket prices, stadium policies, etc., and I have to tell you, at least in Kansas City, it's not like that at all. I have nothing but great things to say about the Royals and their ownership and employees. (We did just get a new ownership group this off-season, though, and COVID-19 may be another factor going forward.) While I'm sure some owners screw their fans over every chance, I would also bet that there are some deals to be had similar to this that the fans just aren't aware of.

In the stadium policy that I posted above, you can also bring one 20oz bottled water in, provided it's still sealed (so it's not vodka in disguise, I presume), but there are also public water fountains dispersed throughout the stadium. KC summers can get scorching hot with stifling humidity, and on those games they will provide those giant orange coolers with free ice water on tap at multiple locations throughout the stadium, also. Better to be kind and keep people safe, than to be dealing with dozens of heat related illnesses because people couldn't afford water.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prices at the redskins game last year were crazy. Though I wouldn’t expect any different from Dan Snyder.
    Orioles game food prices are pretty high to. Guess it just depends where you go. Not pro, but I always found PSUs Beaver Stadium to have pretty reasonable food prices.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

try that in a blue state :p

• Options
    edited May 14, 2020 9:15AM

I noticed that Augusta Master's menu had a Georgia Peach Ice Cream Sandwhich.

• Options
    edited May 14, 2020 9:28AM

@doubledragon said:
    I noticed that Augusta Master's menu had a Georgia Peach Ice Cream Sandwhich.

try that in augusta Maine :p

maybe a clam and cheese sammich

• Options

I've never tried a clam and cheese before, but I'll take a slice of Boston Cream cake any day of the week!

Just look at that mouth watering goodness!

• Options

@countdouglas said:

@perkdog said:
    Awesome write up Count!

@doubledragon said:

Thanks, guys. I've been a Royals full season ticket holder since 2012, so when you spend so much time at the stadium, you quickly learn the ins and outs of how things really work. A lot of people on this board bash MLB, and the food prices, ticket prices, stadium policies, etc., and I have to tell you, at least in Kansas City, it's not like that at all. I have nothing but great things to say about the Royals and their ownership and employees. (We did just get a new ownership group this off-season, though, and COVID-19 may be another factor going forward.) While I'm sure some owners screw their fans over every chance, I would also bet that there are some deals to be had similar to this that the fans just aren't aware of.

In the stadium policy that I posted above, you can also bring one 20oz bottled water in, provided it's still sealed (so it's not vodka in disguise, I presume), but there are also public water fountains dispersed throughout the stadium. KC summers can get scorching hot with stifling humidity, and on those games they will provide those giant orange coolers with free ice water on tap at multiple locations throughout the stadium, also. Better to be kind and keep people safe, than to be dealing with dozens of heat related illnesses because people couldn't afford water.

I remember the last MLB game I went to was in the 90s, and the heat that day was absolutely brutal, and the sun was just beaming down on us relentlessly, so I know firsthand how important it is to stay hydrated.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I've never tried a clam and cheese before, but I'll take a slice of Boston Cream cake any day of the week!

Just look at that mouth watering goodness!

the omni parker house in Boston supposedly invented the boston creme pie................. True story

Home of the original boston creme pie lots of signage to that effect patting of self on the back and whatnot , but if you pop in and get one its actually not very good . They may have lost the recipe ?

• Options

I’m in the minority I know but I do NOT like Boston Cream Pie

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

• Options

@perkdog said:

you probably tried it at the omni parker house

• Options
    edited May 14, 2020 2:22PM

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

you probably tried it at the omni parker house

Never been there. It all stemmed from Eclairs when I was a kid, I was pissed about the cream being yellow and not traditional white cream 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perk you must've loved these:

• Options

@hammer1 said:

That did it, twinkies are going on my grocery list for tomorrow!!

• Options

@hammer1 said:

This is absolutely hilarious!! I am a very healthy eater BUT I 100% buy a pack of Twinkies several times a week to go with my morning coffee! True story! Twinkies are my favorite!!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@hammer1 said:

Double D! Do it, you will not regret it!! 😋

• Options

@sayheywyo said:

I love old menus! One weird item I see or saw on an old menu from a very nice restaurant in my area was frog legs, I think it was from the 1940’s

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@hammer1 said:

Double D! Do it, you will not regret it!! 😋

Oh, I'm definately going to grab some twinkies when I go to the store. Speaking of menus, I've been on the lookout for a copy of this Joe Louis Restaurant menu for a while now, but haven't had any luck. I've never been able to sneak a peak at the inside of it, just the front. I love these old types of menus as well, I think they're fascinating!

• Options

@perkdog I love old menus! One weird item I see or saw on an old menu from a very nice restaurant in my area was frog legs, I think it was from the 1940’s

That menu is actually a game day program from Wrigley Field from 6-12-54. I collect Willie Mays cards..... a little research revealed that Mays hit a home run to deep left in the top of the 7th inning off Warren Hacker helping the NY Giants to a 5-0 victory. It was the 17th of the season and 41st of his career. Sal Maglie was the winning pitcher with Hoyt Wilhelm picking up the save. 11,755 attended the game that took 2hr. 10 minutes to complete.
    I live in Louisiana..... FROG LEGS are on the menu!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2020 9:16AM

@doubledragon said:

@hammer1 said:

To save more for you Joe Louis fund, I think you meant these (or the Tastycake version) ...

Frog legs are on the menu at my house fairly frequently.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

@hammer1 said:

To save more for you Joe Louis fund, I think you meant these (or the Tastycake version) ...

Frog legs are on the menu at my house fairly frequently.

😂😂 Dreamies, I love it!!

• Options

Never heard of those! Dreamies? Must be out west or something, I’ve never seen them.

• Options
    edited May 15, 2020 10:58AM

Yes, I'm familiar with Mrs. Freshley's products. You see, it's like this - I'm what they call a cheapskate. I will do anything to save money for Joe Louis cards, so I shop sometimes at a place called Dollar Tree, and everything there is only $1.00, and it just so happens that they carry Mrs. Freshley's desserts. I haven't tried Dreamies yet, but I have had the following...

• Options

Not out west (calif) must be Midwest or south.

• Options

@hammer1 said:

That is correct, I live in North Carolina and we have numerous Dollar Tree stores here, so it's down south for sure. I'm not sure if they have them anywhere else, but you wouldn't believe how much money I save!

• Options

I've never been in a Dollar Tree.

After seeing the Honey Bun and birthday cake, that will change.

• Options
    edited May 15, 2020 11:56AM

@doubledragon said:

@hammer1 said:

That is correct, I live in North Carolina and we have numerous Dollar Tree stores here, so it's down south for sure. I'm not sure if they have them anywhere else, but you wouldn't believe how much money I save!

Thousands of stores in all 48 contiguous states. I'm too cheap to go there, 99 cent stores all the way to save a penny :D

• Options

You're right.

Just googled and found one about 10 miles from me.

• Options

Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Dollar Store----- there are everywhere. Ya'll, where I live anything the locals say that anything North of I-10 just isn't the South.

• Options

I guess I'm about 10 miles from being a Southerner then.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

Well then you may want to pick up some of these.

• Options

LarkinCollector Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭✭✭May 15, 2020 11:58AM

Hard core cajuns where I now live... Louisiana. When I lived in West Virginia they considered themselves southerners.

• Options

There are a ton of Dollar Trees in Massachusetts and New Hampshire, I’m familiar with Mrs Freshley brand I just never saw those Twinkie Clones.

• Options

@hammer1 said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Well then you may want to pick up some of these.

I haven't had a GGC in forever. Those were easier to find growing up in the midwest than out here. Guess I need to see if the local Rocket Fizz is open or hit up a Cracker Barrel this weekend.

@sayheywyo said:
    LarkinCollector Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭✭✭May 15, 2020 11:58AM

Hard core cajuns where I now live... Louisiana. When I lived in West Virginia they considered themselves southerners.

I'm more Sonoran, love the Cajun cuisine though.