Home Sports Talk
Options

Mike Tyson planning a comeback?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was reading online that Tyson is training hard for a comeback, and that he plans to fight in some exhibition fights for charity. I also read that George Foreman hopes that Tyson will comeback to boxing to compete for the heavyweight title. Do you think Tyson can hang in there with this generation of fighters? Could he really become the heavyweight champion again?

Comments

• Options

I would like to see Iron Mike get in there and mix it up again.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

mike tyson's mysteries is a riot !

• Options

😂

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2020 5:35PM

How about a senior tour/series? Tyson, Holmes, Holyfield, Foreman, Spinks, etc

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pigeon makes MTM, Norm is gold, comedy G O L Dth.

• Options
    edited May 9, 2020 9:50PM

Foreman also says that he hopes Tyson can break his record as the oldest fighter to win the heavyweight title. I remember when Foreman won the title by defeating Michael Moorer back in 94', but I also remember Foreman wasn't the same guy that he was in the 70s when he returned in the 1990s.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

True, but that Foreman was better than Tyson would be now.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

Good publicity. Would probably make an awesome payday. Tyson filed bankruptcy in 2003......... I darn near have his net worth and I'm a nobody.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well they say the last thing you lose in boxing is your punch.

The problem is that an hourglass may be needed to time Tyson's right hook.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

If he is planning on fighting a guy his own age then fine, Tyson vs Holyfield or something g but not a chance in my opinion he will be able to step into the ring with a guy in his 20’s, as you get him not your 40’s you lose a little more aggression and burst in every way I think. Unless he is on Test therapy maybe I can’t see it going ok for him

• Options

This will be Tyson's first warm up opponent, and if you'll notice that his opponent is protecting his ears, I think that is a smart decision.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to say that Mike would have to wear a muzzle but I like the dog picture.

• Options
    edited May 10, 2020 9:21PM

Well, I just read online where Evander Holyfield told TMZ that he would climb back in the ring with Tyson for a trilogy, and folks, he means it. Evander said he wouldn't mind facing Tyson again because he prefers to fight the people who take care of themselves the best physically. I don't think these fights are going to amount to anything serious like they were in the 90s, I think these exhibition fights would just be "playing around" type fights to raise money for charity. Evander is 57 years old and Tyson is 53, so I couldn't see them doing battle like they did in the 1990s.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ask Apollo Creed about exhibition fights....oh wait.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike posted another training video and announced "I'm back" at the end of it. I will say this - he looks and moves great for a dude that's 53.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something I would watch.....it it was free. :)

• Options
    edited May 12, 2020 4:52AM

Mike Tyson posted another training video on instagram Monday with a simple message at the end. That message was.....

"I'm back."

Tyson looked explosive and violent in the video, and he looks like he could very well take out anyone who gets in his way.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tyson/Hollyfield III on free television, I would watch.

I would not send in $1.00 if I had to pay.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

This is what I would like to see Tyson vs Tyson!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tyson was amazing. He had the perfect size relative to the majority of his opponents to employ the peek-a-boo style. He trained so as to become computer like in his in-fight reactions. Obviously he lost focus along the way.

I would enjoy and watch, but I respect the turn around in his life he has shown and would hate to see him set early dementia in motion.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

From what I am understanding, Tyson is making a comeback for exhibition fights, not returning for professional boxing. Although the media is leaving the news ambiguous on purpose to create excitement leading up the exhibition matches. People are wondering if this is truly a comeback and that generates excitement that the media/promoters do not want to turn off at this time.

Tyson can be effective at 53 with the right training and especially right mindset, but competitive at the elite level, likely not. It is not impossible, though. Yes, he is a sentimental favorite and I can understand why people would be excited to see him be competitive in professional boxing again.

When Foreman made a comeback, he was exciting to watch and I am sure a sentimental favorite as well. He was actually competitive, but a very different fighter from the first half of his career. What he lacked in physical speed, he made up for it in experience, strategy, and technique.

I wish Tyson luck in life whichever path he takes with boxing.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

Tyson vs Briggs.

Shannon Briggs revealed in a chat on instagram that he and Tyson have agreed to an exhibition fight. He says they have spoken and a deal has been reached.

• Options

Holyfield has posted another training video with a message for one Mike Tyson. Holyfield's message is this, "I told you I had something for you". Holyfield can be seen in the video with a heavy chain around his neck. It's getting juicy, and around here, we love our sports stories nice and juicy!

• Options
    edited May 30, 2020 9:49AM

Now Roy Jones Jr. has thrown his hat into the ring, and says he will fight Tyson or Holyfield anywhere, at anytime. Roy Jones Jr released a statement saying that some people have been bullying him around lately and he's sick of it. He says he isn't afraid of Tyson and will fight him anywhere, anytime.