Home U.S. Coin Forum

Misaligned vs Off center strikes

JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-North-Carolina-State-Quarter-Struck-5-Off-Center-Mint-Error-1-Pc-From-Lot/274300367292?hash=item3fdd9371bc:g:0W4AAOSwdaxeZUqv

Here is an eBay listing that offers multiples of what they call 5% off center coins.

Now, like many people, I define an error as a misaligned die if one side is off center and the other is not. If both sides are off, then I would call it an off center strike.

The premise is that with an off center strike the planchet is not fully seated in the collar when it is struck, whereas with a misaligned die the planchet is seated properly but the die itself is not aligned to strike it properly.

But...when a run of coins shows the same appearance of an off center strike (such as appears to exist in this eBay listing), could it be that what we are seeing is actually the result of two misaligned dies? If that is the case, is there any way to tell (from the edge, for example) that a double misaligned die is in fact not an off center strike?

I am curious what others think....

P.S. - This seller also offers multiples of other errors (including similar off center GA quarters). It is possible that they are simply pulling one-off errors from huge quantities of quarters. So, each of these NC quarters might truly be individual off center coins.

But the general question would still apply: can you have a double misaligned die coin, and how could you tell if that was what caused the error?

Comments

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look nice.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shouldn't the anvil die technically always be aligned? I mean it is stationary, isn't it?

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Shouldn't the anvil die technically always be aligned? I mean it is stationary, isn't it?

I would have assumed that. I would think the collar would not sit properly if that wad bot the case. In that scenario, only the top (non anvil) die can be misaligned. (True?). But what about vertical strike presses?

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I would have assumed that. I would think the collar would not sit properly if that wad bot the case. In that scenario, only the top (non anvil) die can be misaligned. (True?). But what about vertical strike presses?

There still has to be one stationary object that the others are aligned to, doesn't there?

That's why I was confused by that coin that was posted last week. The consensus was misaligned die...but both sides were misaligned.

So is everything aligned to the collar?

I couldn't find step-by-step alignment instructions for coin presses.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file