Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1955 Italy Coin?

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 7, 2020 7:47PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hi guy's. Please forgive my ignorance about these Foreign coins. I had this awhile now in my small collection. Went to the Bay for some info. I found some conflicting notes about it. Of course, on the Bay it's common for that, right? Anyway, It's a 1955 L.50. Love the design. Pretty cool, I think? The famous word was thrown around as usual these days, it's the word, "Rare". Lol. Now I know it's probably not but does anyone have a ballpark figure on this coin? I am aware of it's horrible condition but is the year uncommon or the coin? Also, I pictured some inscription near the rim that I can't interpret? What exactly does it mean? Is it the designer's name? Thanks guy's. It's good to take a walk over here now and then. I need the exercise anyway! Lol. :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2020 5:17AM

Here is the link to Numista, a great resource for looking up things. Giuseppe Romagnoli is the official engraver. He was at the Italian Mint at least going back to the 1920s, and his work shows up on coins from Italy, Italian Somalia, and Albania. Also, medals, sculpture. Quite prolific.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces724.html

And, here is the Krause price guide/NGC
    https://ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/italy-50-lire-km-95.1-1954-1989-cuid-1126033-duid-1472512

In Italian, but you can get an idea of the body of work for Italy by Romagnoli (not even complete, Albania isn't there other than when occupied, and he did work for there going back to the 1920s)):
    numismatica-italiana.lamoneta.it/zecchieri/Giuseppe%20Romagnoli

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2020 9:19AM

Wow! Thank you for the load of information. Very interesting. He lived to the ripe old age of 94. Wow.
    I see I have the most common coin in that series. Lol
    Still, I love his design. After all the info you sent me, I feel you built a library wing on the coin just for me, thank you! Lol :D
    I notice by your listings, the 1958R is the one to have. By far the "true" rarest.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • ADGADG Posts: 436 ✭✭✭

Check out early 20th century Italian coins. Many beautiful reverse designs.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

17 Million in ss, worth 38 cents. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken oih82w8

• ColonelKlinckColonelKlinck Posts: 372 ✭✭✭

Italian coinage is some of the world's most artistic and beautiful. Here's one of my many favorites.