Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Older etopps cards -

With the rise in the Lebron etopps rookie card from 2003, I'm wondering if these cards will become more "mainstream" in the coming years. Also I was curious if Topps still has a bunch of these cards in their physical inventory, or if they shipped them all out to their owners, or if something else might have happened?

anyone here know by chance?

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2020 12:20PM

They most certainly are. Durants is already following and same goes with Trout. And for the record, Ive spent the last 6 months scooping up every rookie I could from Freddie Freeman to Lebron.

And yes, you asked a very important question about A LOT of the cards still being stuck at the factory which will only help these sky rocket.

Yes, many of these are stuck there and either are forgotten about and will never be claimed or considering the massive shipping charges Topps charges to ship them out will be left there forever. Now, im not 100% positive on what all went down but apparently its like $150 to request to get a single card shipped to you and currently takes 6 months for that request to be followed thru due to the demise of the brand. I see that as a positive for the physical cards on the market though or what the market refers to them “in hand”. Even ebay has a subsection for the Etopps card saying “in hand” due to the debacle.

I only see this is helping. So when the Trout only had a print run /1000, how many are actually avail 600, 700 tops?

Then take a look at the aesthetics. The 2011 etopps card is by far his best looking rc, imo. But again I am biased.

• Options
    DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

While shipping cost from Topps are exorbitant, they are not quite $150 for a single card. They also offered to ship cards raw w/o Topps sticker/holder for slightly less than $1 each in bulk. The last "special" they offered was from Feb. 2018 with the following costs:

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually bought a couple of etopps Bob Gibson cards because I like the look of them, plus the fact that I love Bob Gibson. He was an intimidating pitcher who threw the ball with everything he had. He once fanned 17 Yankees in the World Series.These are not my copies, but this is what they look like. I'm relaxed right now, and way too lazy to go look for mine.

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2020 2:31PM

He K'd 17 Tigers in a WS game. I was a kid sitting in front of the B&W when it happened. I agree with all you say about Gibson. He was fun to watch. I'd get my Dad to take me to Atlanta Fulton County Stadium whenever he was scheduled to pitch.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

blurryface Posts: 65 ✭May 4, 2020 12:43PM edited May 5, 2020 1:38AM
    @80sRockNut said:

show previous quotes
    That does not surprise me at all, as I track Lebron James auctions almost every day (sad, I know). Funny that the seller listed as "under the radar card" and sold it for $1,500! LOL

I think technically it still is though. Any other chrome refractor lebron rookie in a 10 would be a five to six figure card, right? So $1500 still seems like a steal all things considered. 😉

Well heck, send me your offers. Yes, it is in hand. Bought it approximately 8 years ago for a heck of a lot less than $1500

Not sure if my PM is working correctly, I had issues buying from jfkheat recently but we worked the deal.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Love to see some traction on the early baseball stuff, but I only bought about 10 cards total. I sucked it up and paid for them all to be shipped rather than losing them entirely. Nothing noteworthy. I don't recall if the first Ichiro is actually a rookie year equivalent or not, but got 3 of them. I recall they sold out and had a run of around 10K though and everyone was buying quantity.

Would not surprise me that if at some point maybe Topps reaches out and tells virtual owners they have X amount of time to claim the cards or they pay a storage fee or lose them. Has been a while though, so who knows.

When were the last ETopps cards made, anyone know?

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

@sayheywyo said:
    blurryface Posts: 65 ✭May 4, 2020 12:43PM edited May 5, 2020 1:38AM
    @80sRockNut said:

show previous quotes
    That does not surprise me at all, as I track Lebron James auctions almost every day (sad, I know). Funny that the seller listed as "under the radar card" and sold it for $1,500! LOL

I think technically it still is though. Any other chrome refractor lebron rookie in a 10 would be a five to six figure card, right? So $1500 still seems like a steal all things considered. 😉

Well heck, send me your offers. Yes, it is in hand. Bought it approximately 8 years ago for a heck of a lot less than $1500

Not sure if my PM is working correctly, I had issues buying from jfkheat recently but we worked the deal.

PM sent, i think

• Options
    edited May 5, 2020 8:08PM

@DoctorK said:
    While shipping cost from Topps are exorbitant, they are not quite $150 for a single card. They also offered to ship cards raw w/o Topps sticker/holder for slightly less than $1 each in bulk. The last "special" they offered was from Feb. 2018 with the following costs:

Any clue what they actually are today? And while not near what I've been told, even back then, that's still crazy pricing to ship. It's not like they don't get a heavily discounted rate already.

Just did basic math based off the 2018 rates, so basically to ship 100 cards it'd be nearly $500. Still an ouch for the average collector to get his collection. Of course if you happen to have a Lebron, Durant or Trout card in there, it's worth it. I imagine as time goes on and they become more desirable we might see some people pony up.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I actually bought a couple of etopps Bob Gibson cards because I like the look of them, plus the fact that I love Bob Gibson. He was an intimidating pitcher who threw the ball with everything he had. He once fanned 17 Yankees in the World Series.These are not my copies, but this is what they look like. I'm relaxed right now, and way too lazy to go look for mine.

Agreed. Gibson was scary. I love him for it. Hope he's doing well with the PC thing. That's a tough one to beat. And for the most part, the eTopps line is actually a good looking product.

• Options

@dennis07 said:
    He K'd 17 Tigers in a WS game. I was a kid sitting in front of the B&W when it happened. I agree with all you say about Gibson. He was fun to watch. I'd get my Dad to take me to Atlanta Fulton County Stadium whenever he was scheduled to pitch.

That must have been awesome to see him in person!

• Options

@blurryface said:

@doubledragon said:

Agreed. Gibson was scary. I love him for it. Hope he's doing well with the PC thing. That's a tough one to beat. And for the most part, the eTopps line is actually a good looking product.

Yeah, I was heartbroken to hear he had PC, I hope he can beat it. You're right, the eTopps is a good looking product, I love the designs they produce.

• Options
    DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@DoctorK said:

Any clue what they actually are today? And while not near what I've been told, even back then, that's still crazy pricing to ship. It's not like they don't get a heavily discounted rate already.

Just did basic math based off the 2018 rates, so basically to ship 100 cards it'd be nearly $500. Still an ouch for the average collector to get his collection. Of course if you happen to have a Lebron, Durant or Trout card in there, it's worth it. I imagine as time goes on and they become more desirable we might see some people pony up.

I agree. Shipping is astronomical considering many of the cards are worth pennies. I have not checked on pricing for a few years as there is no way I can justify even paying less than $1 per to empty my portfolio. I offered to pick them up in person but Topps never responds to that request.

• Options
    edited June 18, 2020 3:46AM

WOW!

Somebody's making a run or knows something. Look at the sheer numbers sold the past two days both in qtys & prices. One of those bgs 9.5s in there was mine. Only paid $125 and can confirm it was paid for.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=lebron+etopps&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

Looks good to me. Still sitting on mine.

• Options

@sayheywyo said:
    Looks good to me. Still sitting on mine.

Don't blame you. Still sitting on a bunch of mine. Think it's gonna be a real big card one day as any other refractor rookie is easily $20k+.

• Options
    blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2020 9:56AM

Thanks guy for reminding me, I kinda forgot about these. I just went out there to see what I have....Looks like I have 70 cards including 2 of the LeBron's from 03. Still don't like the shipping on these. 10K of that LeBron produced.

Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
    1977 Topps Mexican FB (raw)
    1957 Topps FB Set (raw or graded)
  • Options

@blee1 said:
    Thanks guy for reminding me, I kinda forgot about these. I just went out there to see what I have....Looks like I have 70 cards including 2 of the LeBron's from 03. Still don't like the shipping on these. 10K of that LeBron produced.

Raws were going for $400+. $15 shouldn't be that hard of a pill to swallow for 800 or so dollars. Check your inventory for the '07 Durant card as well. Trout naturally. And any other Lebron, Kobe & Tom Brady cards are now going for $100+ it seems like. Jeter cards have also started to disappear.

Congrats on the forgotten hits!

• Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    edited June 18, 2020 1:41PM

Only problem with LBJ 03 etopps is there were 10,000 issued. His ‘08 etopps card has like 600 issued? Shouldn’t THAT be the LBJ card to get? Same with trout rookies. Only 999 Rookie etopps issued. 799 for trout’s minor league etopps cards. Seems like those would have even more upside

• Options
    edited June 18, 2020 2:56PM

@uniship said:
    Only problem with LBJ 03 etopps is there were 10,000 issued. His ‘08 etopps card has like 600 issued? Shouldn’t THAT be the LBJ card to get? Same with trout rookies. Only 999 Rookie etopps issued. 799 for trout’s minor league etopps cards. Seems like those would have even more upside

Not when a good bit never left the factory. See blee1s post above. Lets say there’s only 9000 out in the open. Way more than 9000 Lebron rookie card collectors out there globally. Then factor in that today’s collectors mainly do player collecting and love multiples. Heck, Im prolly sitting on close to 20 of them myself. At the end of the day, modern basketball seems to just be on a different level. I dont see the 10k print run as a real problem whatsoever.

• Options

Interesting perspective. Lord knows he has the star power and demand. if he wins another title I Agree with you and think they go up big regardless of print run.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Some are also in portfolio with topps and will never be released.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

ive got the complete run of Jeters, 2001-2011, and I must say I love these cards. the later ones obviously had a lower print run and were serial numbered. from what ive heard, they are all stored in a warehouse in Maryland, but not sure how accurate that is.

recently picked up a 2003 eTopps Dwyane Wade, as I think they are undervalued and mostly overlooked and forgotten about. the early ones were printed on thick card stock and were really nice. however ive noticed alot suffered from poor quality control and alot have dimples or scuffs/scratches when freed from their sealed holders.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

I just received my 2 LeBron's '03 from etopps, and you should be warned should you have any on hold, one came in looking absolutely great. The other has noticable damage on the face of the card. Nothing to be done with a card that I bought 17 years ago but just had delivered. I thought Topps would have taken better care of my cards then I would have. I was wrong.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, that’s too bad. Maybe some can be wiped off.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2021 8:09AM

yep. gotta remember the topps emblem is raised. with the thicker card stock and the process being new at the time. the acrylic cases were not custom and changed over time to properly secure the cards, but a ton of 2001 - 2005 cards came scuffed straight from the factory due to sliding in the case. there are 3 cases throughout that i'm aware of: very thick magnetic, thinner magnetic and finally snap cases.

how long did it take to get them and how much did it cost, if you don't mind me asking?

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2021 8:52AM

I was a member of eTopps from beginning to the end of the run.
    Still have about 100-150+ assorted cards..
    Beautiful cards.
    What I remember when they gave us notice they were ending the program is
    most people had cards sent to them.
    I had all mine I wanted shipped & then sold my port for pennies on the dollar.
    But I have some good ones, sold Trout, LeBron, Durant etc for good $$ last yr.
    Finally paying off.

• Options
    edited January 7, 2021 9:12AM

One gorgeous etopps set..

• Options

• Options

shhh. i'm still buying. quit showing how remarkable these things are. in all seriousness, the 2011 baseball set is amazing. the jeter and trout cards are some of their best looking cards, imo.

i love the 82 sandberg and 83 mattingly!

• Options

PM me your want list.
    Have hockey, basketball, football, baseball, and the old tobacco cards which they did,. ....I'll post pictures of later, when I can find a damn things. Lol

• Options

I think in 20 years these cards may be viewed the way we view topps Tiffany today. I was out of the hobby at the time when they were produced and from my reading it appears a lot of folks have a bad taste in their mouth about how topps ended the program with crazy shipping fees to get the cards and abandoning the etopps website (you know, the “e” part of etopps). Is that the general perception? Once time heals those wounds perception could change.

I collect basketball and I feel like the comp for these should be topps chrome refractors. I think the chrome refractors will always be king (and in most but not all years have a slightly lower print run) but etopps are 1/10th the price.

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

A very undervalued area and one to watch for in future years. These cards have very short print runs.

• Options

Lebron ETopps rookie starting to take off it seems. Trout too.

• Options
    edited February 23, 2021 5:38AM

@uniship

put it all down on paper in comparison to other refractors, it was fairly obvious. from $100 to $12k+ in a year & a half.

a ton of raw at psa, but here's some of the graded stash:

• Options

almost forgot these guys:

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Nice looking cards.
    I recall awhile back a CU board member complaining his eTopps cards were not gaining in value.
    A canary in the coal mine for other cards was his claim.
    An ornery fella. He eventually got the boot :(

• Options

Nice Lebron collection! How many you have at PSA?

• Options

prolly another 12 or so peppered throughout 6 months worth of subs. once they started consistently hitting the $1k mark i had to switch gears.

• Options

Wowza. Genius foresight on your part.

• Options
    edited February 23, 2021 7:31AM

@uniship said:
    Wowza. Genius foresight on your part.

not really. i started chickening out at the $1k threshold.

shoulda kept going! 😉

• Options

might as well insert some more of these cards:

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

That Brady is unreal. Any idea how many were in that signing?

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

@Ahmanfan said:
    That Brady is unreal. Any idea how many were in that signing?

without digging it out i think it's 50. could be 100 as a lot of times those are the numbers for any etopps that got signed. and they usually reserved the last lot. so if the total print run was 1000 of any particular card, the signed ones would be 901-1000 as the signed examples.

and thank you. i love this card! i got it at an absolute steal a year or so ago.