Home Sports Talk

Let's be honest about MLB and the NFL.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reality has already set in for these two Sports and it's about time they both acknowledge it, come to terms with what is going on and admit to their fan bases that the 2020 seasons are a wash. Instead of trying to fantasize about "salvaging the season" or any other way you'd care to phrase it, both Leagues should probably be focused on moving ahead in 2021. That sounds pretty harsh but it's the new reality.

I believe these next 2-4 weeks will be very telling for America while ringing the death knell for both Sports, making the decision they are unwilling to make. I really hope I am wrong. To be really optimistic and think people are willing to gather shoulder to shoulder for three hours in the sweltering summer heat is madness, but let's assume that MLB has a starting date of July 1st. What is the sense of an 80 game season played by athletes who aren't really in "baseball shape" until September??

The saving grace for the NFL is that they would be in training camps to be able to observe what the affect of the crowd gatherings would be, what it might dictate them to do about a season. All that understood, if "The Opening" doesn't happen until July at the earliest, more realistic than June and still a bit of a stretch, it would seem that the NFL might lose about 4-5 games from their season.

It is being hopeful to think these Leagues can salvage their full seasons. It is wishful thinking to believe that fans will flock back to watch the games being played. It is a worst case scenario that a "second wave" could take place once this happens and I wonder if the NFL and MLB are considering that?? They could lose fans for a very long time if that happens, do they really want to risk that happening??

I think the best option, as bad as it seems, is making a plan to resume in 2021and working towards that starting now.

Al H.

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm literally dying to attend these games!

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't remember when it first was that I heard the NFL would make a profit even if they didn't sell one ticket to a game, but it was a long time ago.

Depending on what happens when the warmer weather gets here and it's effect on the virus, Baseball could be either cancelled or drastically reduced. There have been a few shortened seasons, I hope we get at least a 100 game regular season. The World Series might end up at a neutral site.

I am thinking that Football is going to be much less effected.

Of course it all depends on whether the virus makes a huge jump when the restrictions loosen.

In my opinion none of the sports establishments care about the fans, they are only interested in profits.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:

In my opinion none of the sports establishments care about the fans, they are only interested in profits.

This is painful for every regular person , hopefully its ten times worse for these pig owners

They sell bottled water for $10.00 and don't put water fountains in their (publicly funded) stadiums.

They also let a 9 inning baseball game last 4 hours so they can sell more commercials. Why hurry things along when you make MORE money letting them slow to a crawl?

What more do you need to know?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baseball is probably a half season at best. Football could go on as usual if things go good.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are no guarantees next year will be any better than this year. Must try and get some kind of season in. Americans don't quit.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    I can't remember when it first was that I heard the NFL would make a profit even if they didn't sell one ticket to a game, but it was a long time ago.

The NFL itself doesn't rely on ticket sales.

Individual teams are basically guaranteed a profit. The salary cap is completely covered by the TV contracts.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see sports coming back until there is a vaccine or herd immunity. The more contact a sport has the longer it will not be played.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

They also let a 9 inning baseball game last 4 hours so they can sell more commercials.

here's the thing about this, it embraces the ol' American double-standard --- it's OK for the players to be making ridiculous salaries because, well, if the money is offered they should take it. why is it not OK for the owners to sell those bottles of water for $10 if the fans are willing to pay it?? either both are OK or both aren't OK. I personally think both are not OK but then I follow that up by not paying through the nose to be at games and on the exceptional day(s) I do attend I don't fill their coffers by buying their wares.

if you consider that fans are in the middle of it all, it's easy to understand that they are the ones to blame for it all. if everyone is so upset about what players make, what owners make and how Government pays for it all with taxes there is an easy solution.................................don't attend games, don't buy merchandise, don't watch commercialized games and avoid jurisdictions that subsidize the Sporting Events.

I manage to do all the above to a high degree and am probably as happy doing it as Bronco.

@keets said:
    They also let a 9 inning baseball game last 4 hours so they can sell more commercials.

here's the thing about this, it embraces the ol' American double-standard --- it's OK for the players to be making ridiculous salaries because, well, if the money is offered they should take it. why is it not OK for the owners to sell those bottles of water for $10 if the fans are willing to pay it?? either both are OK or both aren't OK. I personally think both are not OK but then I follow that up by not paying through the nose to be at games and on the exceptional day(s) I do attend I don't fill their coffers by buying their wares.

if you consider that fans are in the middle of it all, it's easy to understand that they are the ones to blame for it all. if everyone is so upset about what players make, what owners make and how Government pays for it all with taxes there is an easy solution.................................don't attend games, don't buy merchandise, don't watch commercialized games and avoid jurisdictions that subsidize the Sporting Events.

I manage to do all the above to a high degree and am probably as happy doing it as Bronco.

I totally agree. I use to go to occasional games in STL when the Cowboys came to town when the tickets were 20-25 bucks. Haven't been to a game since. Why should I......I have the best seat there is in my recliner in front of my big screen TV.

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

I definitely will not attend any games this year no matter what. We still have a long way to go.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

No more expensive sporting event tickets for me either. We went to a Red Sox game 10 years ago. Got $35 tickets along the 3rd base line as walkup buyers. Last time as well. No more concert tickets either. $200-$300 for a "live" performance likely using Autotune. Will buy the CD's and get the same quality. I remember my ticket cost to see the band "Chicago" in the 70's:$9.00 for seats within the first 20 rows. Paying these current outrageous prices to performers so they can live better than me does not make much sense anymore. But it's ones choice.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

It may sound harsh but this thing is brutal if you are in a nursing home or have pre existing conditions so it swept through and killed the most vulnerable people very effectively. Now the MSM keeps saying that there is no proof you are immune after having it but surely we should have heard of numbers of people getting it again then right? First responders , doctors , nurses etc? Nope nobody actually just the grim warnings from the anchormen and women .

It swept through the nursing homes and killed thousands but , those people are no longer there , they died. Huge numbers of patients in the places hardest hit have got the virus and either died or survived. There are no new patients in these places right? Who would be insane enough to ship their mom or dad to one of these horrible places now?

That means the nursing homes will soon have herd immunity or be closed (because everyone died or passed through the eye of that grim needle :( ) they wont reopen . You think its hard to sell a house where a person got murdered? Try selling a family on your managed care facility that had 250 deaths last week month or whatever.

98% of the deaths are underlying condition , average age over 70! the now dead were the most vulnerable and they are now immune. Our healthcare system has been exposed as fraudulent , nursing homes revealed as charnel houses( charging thousands a month to abuse our parents and loved ones ) .

All the hardest hit states are showing much improved numbers and the others , some with very low numbers of cases or deaths are being told if you reopen anything you will all die tomorrow!

Take a deep breath , turn off the CNN , MSNBC, fox news whatever. Relax and this too shall pass.

Remember , the death rate of nursing homes in general hovers somewhere around 100% , there really is no other way to leave one of them. Plus actually for the rest of us not in nursing homes the death rate is also 100% , its not a question of if but rather when and how

edited May 9, 2020 5:48AM

last night's movie choice was Contagion from 2011, strangely prophetic though more extreme than what we are currently experiencing. the film contains all the current elements we are experiencing, both good and bad.

at the heart of all this is TESTING because this virus is so pernicious and contagious. it is interesting how difficult it can be to get tested, even when exhibiting symptoms.......................unless you work in the White House where two persons have now tested positive. I am happily withdrawn from Society and when I do venture out I use protection and exercise caution. here in Ohio, it is perplexing how many people still refuse to wear a mask, a proven preventive measure, but I am scolded in stores if I get too close to someone.

it's a strange world.

my cousin that rents a house from me had a temp of 102 Sunday night. He took 2 motrin and went to bed the next day he had no temp. He called the doctor they set up a test appt for Tuesday morning. He was nervous about having a test but he said that it was no big deal , he did have to wait until lunchtime Friday for the result which was negative.

He was unable to go to work all week and was nervous for no reason. Now is relieved for no reason

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

The NFL will play this season. The country needs normal. In the last 2 decades football has been the sport that brings the nation together. The season will be played and you can take it to the bank.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

With I think Cali and NY saying the college kids probably aren't going back, I'd bet the college football season isn't happening.

I'd like to see the NFL play, and baseball for the half season and playoffs. We need normal...not 'the new normal' BS, just normal.

I know you guys don't like the soccers, but I am happy to see the German league starting back up this weekend. And I'm doubting my United season tix will get used...we'll see on refunds minus the one home opener game.

The country needs normal.

define normal.

what we are embarking on is the "new" normal that has been embraced by some other former following Nations. sadly, the "new" normal seems to include a govorning class which has chosen to follow instead of lead.

I personally choose healthy over normal so everyone else can do what they want to do. isn't freedom a wonderful thing?? B)

@keets said:
    The country needs normal.

define normal.

what we are embarking on is the "new" normal that has been embraced by some other former following Nations. sadly, the "new" normal seems to include a govorning class which has chosen to follow instead of lead.

I personally choose healthy over normal so everyone else can do what they want to do. isn't freedom a wonderful thing?? B)

sports havent been normal for a long time . If it takes a pandemic to fix them its ok with me.

Watching these worthless baseball players whining about losing profit sharing hopefully forces a lockout and gives us a couple years off. Then when no one cares about the lack of baseball maybe it will just disappear

@Brick said:

@2dueces said:
    The NFL will play this season. The country needs normal. In the last 2 decades football has been the sport that brings the nation together. The season will be played and you can take it to the bank.

I took it to the bank. The bank was closed due to virus.

you have to go to the drive up brick

I refuse to get into a discussion of when the country opens up again and what is normal. This is about the NFL. It will be played this season.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
    edited May 16, 2020 5:02AM

This is about the NFL. It will be played this season.

is that a complete 17 game season or some modified length??
    is that a season of games with fans in attendance, like normally played??
    since you are so adamant about your assertion, what are you willing to put where your mouth is??

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

The NFL may play games. They may even play a Super Bowl. I seriously doubt that they play a full, non-interrupted, non adjusted schedule, 16 game regular season and playoffs.

edited May 16, 2020 5:24AM

@keets said:
    This is about the NFL. It will be played this season.

is that a complete 17 game season or some modified length??
    is that a season of games with fans in attendance, like normally played??
    since you are so adamant about your assertion, what are you willing to put where your mouth is??

Do you see any reference to games, season , fans in my post? Apparently you don’t get it and once again I refuse to get sucked into any debate about what’s going on in the country. No matter what I believe will not change your opinion so my advice to you is let it go.

W.C.Fields
  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

The NFL can't even keep staph infections out of their locker rooms. You're dreaming if you don't think there will be multiple team outbreaks of COVID-19.

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

On the radio yesterday they were talking about NFL games with no fans but "fan noise" being piped in. They compared it to the laugh tracks on TV sitcoms and how totally fake it would be.

Watching some of the german league soccer games this morning...with no fans. I'd be ok with some fan noise pumped in...the Falcons audio guys can teach the rest of the league how to do it properly.

@VikingDude said:
    On the radio yesterday they were talking about NFL games with no fans but "fan noise" being piped in. They compared it to the laugh tracks on TV sitcoms and how totally fake it would be.

None of the "decision makers" cares about the fans, they only love money.

Do you see any reference to games, season , fans in my post?

well, actually I do.

--- The season will be played and you can take it to the bank.

that's what you said above, and no matter how you try to twist it, re-write it or interpret it, saying "the season" means what it says, the season will be played, all season, all 16 games of it. that's what an NFL "season" is, right, 16 games??

I will await your rebuttal.

Can honestly state that the longer baseball is inactive I miss it less and less.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@VikingDude said:

worst laugh track ever , MASH . prove me wrong

@bronco2078 said:

@VikingDude said:

Bronc...….just how do you compare and judge laugh tracks?? :D

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

@VikingDude said:

watch an episode of mash sometime . There is one goofy sounding laugh thats used about 50 times per show drives me right up the wall :s

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

@VikingDude said:

watch an episode of mash sometime . There is one goofy sounding laugh thats used about 50 times per show drives me right up the wall :s

MASH was and still is one of my favorite shows...…..so I never noticed.

That annoying laugh has been in tons of shows its the wilhelm scream of laughtracks

edited May 16, 2020 7:12PM

I will acknowledge the overly uberfrequent MASH laugh track and throw the last 2 seasons of Big Bang Theory at it. It wasn't the frequency but the volume, the forced prolonged volume of it.....just horrible.

To add: mash shouldn't have had a laugh track at all

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baseball can stay away as long as it wants. I'm a Reds fan lol.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

My vote goes to 2 1/2 Men. They laugh at everything on that show. Even if the doorbell rings or the toilet flushes. Yes I exaggerate but you get the point. No domestic situation can be that funny.