Home Sports Talk
Options

Looks like the Bengals are "All In" with Joe Burrow.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

This will be interesting as the Cincinnatti Bengals have "cut" Andy Dalton less than a week after they used their No. 1 Draft Pick to take Joe Burrow.

To my way of thinking it seems like a big risk. There are too many things that can go wrong vs. only one that can go right, that Joe Burrow proves successful in his transition from College to the Pro's. That is a big gamble. The wise thing to do, what most Teams do, is to have the veteran start and tutor the rookie until at least mid-season or season two. That tells me that the Bengals' front office is sold 100% on Burrow, believing he can step in from day one and lead the Team while avoiding all the mistakes that rookies make. Sure, LSU ran a pro-style offense last year but the comparison isn't really close. The NFL is much different.

It also doesn't bode well for Andy Dalton and in a way, after his years of service with the Bengals they screwed him royally. Think about it, they knew they were drafting Burrow for several months and should have given Dalton his release after the season ended. Maybe they held onto him and tried for a trade that didn't materialize. Either way it doesn't look good for Andy Dalton.

I know that Kansas City did this with Mahomes, so maybe it'll work.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never thought much of Dalton. I don't know who is bad enough at QB to ever want him. He is probably as good as retired now.

• Options

if he is "retired" it will be more do to his contract than play. a lot is made of the fact that Dalton didn't win a playoff game but it's a Team sport that one player can't be held responsible for. two examples: Andy Dalton's winning percentage as a starter was much better when A.J. Green played then when he didn't play --- it was 3-4 years ago when the Bengals had all but won a playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers when Burfict showed up at the end of the game. his maniacal play lost the game, not something Andy Dalton did or didn't do.

to the point of his salary, at $17 mil+/season it was what he had earned and probably deserved. the twist is that right now he isn't worth that much so nobody was probably willing to trade for him. in a strange way, if his contract would have been for around $12-13 mil/season he would probably still be playing.

to that point, I think he'll be signed by someone.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Burrow can't do much worse than Dalton. What the heck, throw him in there and let him figure it out, he's going to have to get used to it anyway.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

About time they got rid of Dalton, too bad for the Bengals fans that the brass didn’t cut ties with Marv Lewis AND Dalton years ago.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    About time they got rid of Dalton, too bad for the Bengals fans that the brass didn’t cut ties with Marv Lewis AND Dalton years ago.

Lewis was even more useless than Dalton. What a pair. Reminds me of Garrett and Romo! USELESS!!!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    This will be interesting as the Cincinnatti Bengals have "cut" Andy Dalton less than a week after they used their No. 1 Draft Pick to take Joe Burrow.

To my way of thinking it seems like a big risk. There are too many things that can go wrong vs. only one that can go right, that Joe Burrow proves successful in his transition from College to the Pro's. That is a big gamble. The wise thing to do, what most Teams do, is to have the veteran start and tutor the rookie until at least mid-season or season two. That tells me that the Bengals' front office is sold 100% on Burrow, believing he can step in from day one and lead the Team while avoiding all the mistakes that rookies make. Sure, LSU ran a pro-style offense last year but the comparison isn't really close. The NFL is much different.

It also doesn't bode well for Andy Dalton and in a way, after his years of service with the Bengals they screwed him royally. Think about it, they knew they were drafting Burrow for several months and should have given Dalton his release after the season ended. Maybe they held onto him and tried for a trade that didn't materialize. Either way it doesn't look good for Andy Dalton.

I know that Kansas City did this with Mahomes, so maybe it'll work.

Al H.

Perfect example of how many teams treat their players. Salary cap has some to do with it as well.

A lot of highly rated and drafted QBs are busts in the NFL. You would think they could have kept Dalton around for at least one year.

Dalton seemed like a pretty good quarterback. Made the Pro-Bowl three times. First 7 years looked fine the last two not so much. I don't follow the Bengals, but if he didn't have much help, it's not his fault they aren't a playoff team.

Look at their DEFENSE! The last two years they were almost the worst in the NFL. For several years before that they were a top 10 defense. I don't see much for receivers after A.J. Green.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

A lot of highly rated and drafted QBs are busts in the NFL.

think Marcus Mariotta with the Titans.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Highly touted college QBs usually are on top teams, surrounded by highly skilled players. They go high in the draft to the worst of NFL teams. Their individual talent or their flaws are on display.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

marv lewis is terrible WHY did they stick with him so long? He had some sort of blackmail on ownership is my guess

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

marv lewis is terrible WHY did they stick with him so long? He had some sort of blackmail on ownership is my guess

Agreed he probably had something on them, Compromising pictures or videos I’d guess. There was no other reason that would make any kind of sense to keep him on for so long.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

JaMarcus Russell went #1 overall.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@keets said:

JaMarcus Russell went #1 overall.

Probably the poster child for Draft Busts. Remember he held out for more money and the Raiders caved and paid him? Huge mistake on their part

• Options

JaMarcus Russell was such a but I can honestly say I don't even remember him. :p

• Options

@keets said:
    JaMarcus Russell was such a but I can honestly say I don't even remember him. :p

Me neither. And what about Johnny Football? I I think he would be the poster child for busts.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

How many Heisman Trophy winners that were quarterbacks are in the Football Hall of Fame? Staubach.... can't think of any others. Agree with Brick's assessment. Wasn't JaMarcus Russell from LSU????

• Options

Agreed he probably had something on them, Compromising pictures or videos I’d guess. There was no other reason that would make any kind of sense to keep him on for so long.

you two understand how ridiculous of a claim this is, right?? I accept what bronco said as "tongue in cheek" but to follow that with an assertion that he"has something on them" is just stupid.

back to Dalton, he has signed with Dallas which was a speculation made by some sites because he's from Texas. since Dimeman doesn't like him I suppose we're in for some world class whining, especially if Dalton actually starts.

• Options

@keets said:

you two understand how ridiculous of a claim this is, right?? I accept what bronco said as "tongue in cheek" but to follow that with an assertion that he"has something on them" is just stupid.

back to Dalton, he has signed with Dallas which was a speculation made by some sites because he's from Texas. since Dimeman doesn't like him I suppose we're in for some world class whining, especially if Dalton actually starts.

does it take some special courage to fire marv lewis? he was awful for YEARS!!!!!!

who was in charge of keeping him on? You referenced Burfict, that was the culture Marv lewis created , he presided over a team of idiots for like a friggin decade ! Ok to give the guy a chance but is there no oversight there at all? Nobody thinking , well this guy is not our guy , easier to fire a coach than every single loser on the roster, so marv you are fired buh bye

he is the coach not the owner, teams like the Jets have shitty owners , but the boss never fires himself . You would think though that an owner would pull the trigger on such a massive disappointment at the head coach position at some point

• Options

@keets said:

Dalton was and still is useless. I'm not going to whine, but it was a total waste of money and he will NEVER start.

• Options

@keets said:

Do you realize how ridiculous it is that you took the time to quote me and think I was serious all the while you realized Bronco was “Tongue in cheek”. I mean seriously? I was just joking with Bronco. The bottom line is the Lewis/Dalton combo was awful for years. They took way too long to fire that guy, I don’t hate Dalton but your not winning a lot of playoff games let alone Super Bowl with him.

• Options

that dog don't hunt.

• Options

Actually, Marv Lewis probably did have something on them. There's no telling what the Bengals owners and front office is up to after dark. Oh sure, it's football during the daytime, but when the sun goes down and the lights go out, it's leather and tango time!!

• Options

@keets said:
    that dog don't hunt.

Your not picking up what I’m putting down huh? 🤷‍♂️

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Actually, Marv Lewis probably did have something on them. There's no telling what the Bengals owners and front office is up to after dark. Oh sure, it's football during the daytime, but when the sun goes down and the lights go out, it's leather and tango time!!

police academy clip FTW !

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@doubledragon said:

police academy clip FTW !

Yes, the famous Blue Oyster bar that they accidentally wandered into!😂😂