Home U.S. Coin Forum

"1789" Mott's Token- Cast Copy? Electrotype? Genuine?

NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 28, 2020 5:11PM in U.S. Coin Forum

What say you? Looks like a seam on part of the rim. These do come with different edge types, die issues, die breaks, porous planchets, just making sure.

Weight: 10.64 g

Comments

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2020 7:01PM

The weight is about 30% too low, I think. That's a problem. Scratch the edge to see if what looks like a seam is actually one. Regardless, authentic Mott tokens are 19th century creations, not 18th century ones.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    The weight is about 30% too low, I think. That's a problem. Scratch the edge to see if what looks like a seam is actually one. Regardless, authentic Mott tokens are 19th century creations, not 18th century ones.

I think an authentic one weighs 13g I read but not sure if it can vary because there are thick, thin varieties. Also one variety says "Weight", not sure what they are referring to?

And yes these were made around the 1830s I believe.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before you do any permanent damage by scratching it, do a specific gravity test first!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • tokenprotokenpro Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Before you do any permanent damage by scratching it, do a specific gravity test first!

Seconded.

The early founders and members of the AVA (American Vecturist Ass'n - transportation tokens or tts) were encouraged to file the edge of tts to determine brass-bronze-zinc-gunmetal-copper. It ticked me off every time I purchased an old time collection and found rim damage on common to scarce pieces from over-aggressive edge filing.

@CaptHenway said:

I will try tonight. I never did a specific gravity test before but will give it a shot.

@tokenpro said:

@CaptHenway said:

Seconded.

The early founders and members of the AVA (American Vecturist Ass'n - transportation tokens or tts) were encouraged to file the edge of tts to determine brass-bronze-zinc-gunmetal-copper. It ticked me off every time I purchased an old time collection and found rim damage on common to scarce pieces from over-aggressive edge filing.

That's a shame.

Not sure if this matters but has a slight ring to it when balanced on my finger and I tap the edge.

edited April 29, 2020 8:58AM

I don't have distilled water, though. I have NYC drinking water though lol Will pick some up but target was out last time I checked.

I'm familiar with distilled water though because I use it when I do car cooling system stuff.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Distilled water not necessary for s.g.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file