Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you own a nice 1926 Sesquicentennial Commemorative Half-Dollar??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you do and you have some good pictures would you post them to the thread?? Thanks in advance.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2020 12:31PM

Just bought this one on eBay recently for my 50-piece classic commemorative type set album. Expecting it to arrive later this week. After seeing many of them online and at shows I realized how difficult they are to find uncirculated and with pleasant toning.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my favorite commemorative coin one is my pocket piece and the other PCGS slab

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone know the grading markers on this issue? I've looked at dozens over the years at shows and have a hard time telling the difference between an MS63 and an MS65. And there's a huge price difference between those grades.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live here in Philly, yet I have resisted buying one of these because I'm not that fond of low relief coins. Yet some of your guys' examples are pretty good, I must say.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the spread between 64 and 65 in the late 1980s used to be insane.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been trying to find a nice 63 to 64+ for a while now. I have yet to find one I'd like to add to my collection. The 65's are too expensive for me.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

This issue, is much like the Peace dollar for me. I just haven’t haven’t found one I am fond of.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

In hand, the lighter areas have a sort of rosy color to them. Can't recall the grade a.t.m.

• Options

It’s a shame they didn’t figure out the relief because the reverse is stunning

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Pardon me for not knowing, and it was not on coinfacts, on the obverse, it is Washington and whom?

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rln_14 said:
    Pardon me for not knowing, and it was not on coinfacts, on the obverse, it is Washington and whom?

Calvin Coolidge, the President in 1926.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@rln_14 said:

Calvin Coolidge, the President in 1926.

Makes sense, thanks for the info

• Options

He was still alive at the time and kind of an awful president.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Commemorates.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only have a raw one that I picked up for near melt.
    Unfortunately it has a nasty rim bump on the rev.

Some day I'd like to acquire a problem free nice one and I'd also like to compliment it with the gold $2 1/2.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@illini420 said:
    This is the best one I've had by far...

:+1:

And the best one I've seen, by far. Very nice indeed.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like most of these pictured, but LOVE the one @illini420 posted!!!

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2020 1:29AM

fyi, Bob Paul Rare Coins out of Philadelphia is selling one on his website, PCGS MS66+, CAC. Only $75K. :)

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kiyote said:
    I remember the spread between 64 and 65 in the late 1980s used to be insane.

>
    >
    They sure were. Found a December 8, 1989 Greysheet. The Sesquicentennial bid for MS-64 was $1,750 while 65 was $14,250. Lots of other commems at crazy prices also.

Current bid prices are around $150 and $750, though 66 is about $14,000. Maybe some of the old 65's are now 66, but that is not automatic.

Never owned any higher than about 62 or 63. They often look a bit rough on the cheek. I think the low relief made it less likely to strike out the planchet roughness, something like the often rough cheekbones on the Jefferson nickel. Now @pocketpiececommems Poor-1 above has a smooth cheek. :)

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kiyote said:
    He was still alive at the time and kind of an awful president.

It was the first time a sitting president was put on a coin.

John Sinnock (Chief engraver at the time) executed the design.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@illini420 seeing a Sesquicentennial that pretty is like seeing Bigfoot.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2020 1:45PM

Nope, just the $2.5 gold Sesquicentennial.

Difficult to find one that pleases me... illini’s the exception.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file