Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What’s the Worlds Least Valuable Coin?

At least in terms of face value, that title belongs to the 1994 Uzbekistan 1 Tyin.

Uzbekistan went through a monetary reform in 1994. As a result, a new so’m was issued worth 1,000 old s’om. New coins were issued for the occasion with the so’m being divided into 100 tiyin. These coins are still legal tender, and with one Uzbekistani s’om worth about 0.00010 United States Dollars, the tiyin is worth about 0.0000010 United States dollars. In other words, it would take about 1,000 tiyin to equal one cent from the United States.

Learn more about these pieces here: https://www.pcgs.com/news/what-is-the-least-valuable-coin

Want our top articles delivered to your e-mail inbox bi-weekly? Join our e-newsletter here: https://www.pcgs.com/newsletter

Comments

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2020 6:30PM

But no one is going to waste their time counting these or shipping them to banks and consumers. It actually has real value as an educational tool.

The US cent is used every day and if you throw it away they just make another one to replace it. It costs far more to mint than it's worth and its true value is much less than a cent since it involves a lot of handling costs.

I guess it does have some value as an educational tool about a blind adherence to the status quo and deficit spending but few seem to see the lesson.

Nobody's spending the 1t but a penny costs us about 1c every time it's used and 3 if you just toss it in the trash.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it actually circulate? My guess is that it dropped out of everyday usage not long after it was minted. I seriously doubt people are bagging these up in the hundreds or thousands and taking them to the market to exchange for a turnip.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

I was going to say that the world's least valuable coins are pretty much all the ones in my collection................ :s;)

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

That makes me want to own one just for the novelty. B)

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Does this mean I have one of the least valuable PCGS certified coins? Maybe the least?

1994 Uzbekistan 3 Tiyin, PCGS MS65