Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Venezuelan Adventure and a Change of Direction

As many of you know, I have been collecting the 1964 and '68 Venezuelan sets for a few years. I've been toying with a decision for a while and finally decided a couple of weeks ago to pull the trigger. I have decided to quit my 1968 set, keeping only the Red Sox, and to focus my attention and resources on completing my 1964 set, as well as a '68 Venz Red Sox team set.

There are a few reasons for the decision. The biggest reason, by far, is that a complete '68 set was truthfully unattainable. There are several really pricey cards, none more so than the Nolan Ryan RC. The last Ryan/Koosman PSA 1 that sold went for $2100 this past September. Just not feasible for me. The '64 set is achievable within my budget, especially since I'd already knocked out a couple of the biggies, like Pete Rose. I was much further along with the '64 set than I was with the '68 set, plus the '64 design is infinitely more attractive than the 68's.

For all these reasons, I decided to trade or sell 37 of my '68 Venies, either obtaining cards for my '64 set or my '68 Red Sox set, or reinvesting the sale proceeds in the same. I feel good about the decision and have already acquired some significant firepower for my '64 set, including my first Venz Mantle. Here is today's mail day, for my new, narrower Venz focus.

Mantle, Maris and Kaline all on the same card?? Yes please! And how about Clemente and Aaron on the same card?

And the biggest pitching star of the decade, in a pretty nice grade:

Plus these raw additions, all acquired in trade:

Love the rookie cup Staub. The Culp gets me to 14/27 complete on the '68 Venz Red Sox team set. After subbing some to PSA, I'll have exactly 100 graded cards in my PSA '64 Venz set.

Yaz Master Set
#1 Gino Cappelletti master set
#1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

Comments