Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help for a new World Collector of Mexico Reales

TunisTunis Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 26, 2020 8:13PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Thanks to a recent purchase in the BST. I am now a World Coin collector. I am looking for resources to help identify pre-colonial Mexico reales. I saw a source, “Pillars & Portraits“, is that a good place to start? Any other books/guides that are out there? Thanks in advance for your help.

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

Comments

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to World collecting!

This is not my series, but here is an old thread that might have some suggestions for you: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/874161/8-reales-books

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome Tunis!

Awesome series to get into.

There are quite a few references already listed in many threads on this forum. The one that @Stella included does have quite a few on the subject. One addition would be Yonaka's books on both the fractional pillar coinage of Mexico, as well as portrait series that was recently released.

Do you know which series and denominations you're interested in?

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tunis LOL you just got into a lot of trouble! As @TwoKopeiki me tones, Yonaka is a great start. Welcome to the Dark Side! It is a lot of fun!

• Options

Thanks to the great info provided!!!
    I am going to start with:
    MEXICAN PORTRAIT SERIES 8 REALES BASIC SET, CIRCULATION STRIKES (1772-1821)

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options

@Tunis said:
    Thanks to the great info provided!!!
    I am going to start with:

Excellent choice!

• Options

Wow!!!!!! What a fantastic set you have in that same category. No worries about me catching you, lol. I am pursuing coins in the PCGS range of 30 to 40

• Options

@Tunis said:
    Wow!!!!!! What a fantastic set you have in that same category. No worries about me catching you, lol. I am pursuing coins in the PCGS range of 30 to 40

Thanks! I started with nice dark original XF pieces about 14 years ago and just went from there, upgrading based on availability of nice pieces and budget. It's a great set full of historically important coins that were a standard of money for centuries and circulated widely in US and many other countries. Whether VF, XF, AU or MS - it doesn't take away from that significance. Just try to get the best for the grade, don't compromise on your own standards in order to fill registry slots, and read-up on counterfeits (which there are a lot of in this series). Bob Gurney's and John Lorenzo's "Unreal Reales" would be a good reference to understand the types of counterfeits and some of the detection characteristics.

Looking forward to seeing you grow your collection and appreciation for this series!

• Options

Thanks again for the advice. I should have my first three coins, sometime this week. I will start my Registry at that time under my same screen name. I like to use the Registry for organization and for sharing.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are building a PCGS set from slabbed examples, then you should not have much trouble. Just be very wary if you try to buy raw.

Brad Yonaka's new book "A Variety Guide to the Silver and Copper Coinage of the Mexico City Mint 1772-1821" is the perfect book for your endeavor.

• Options

I hope I did not mess up. I paid a PayPal account for the book, based on a link in a thread, here in the community. Found other options after I purchased the book in this manner. Agorocu Consulting is who I paid.

• Options

@Tunis said:
    I hope I did not mess up. I paid a PayPal account for the book, based on a link in a thread, here in the community. Found other options after I purchased the book in this manner. Agorocu Consulting is who I paid.

Yup - that's Brad's PayPal.

• Options

Thanks for the confirmation!

• Options
    edited April 29, 2020 3:26PM

Nothing to see here. The images populated. I guess it was a small delay.

Hey guys, Quick question on the Registry. I started my set, called Tunis, imported my first two 8 Reales, but the True View image does not automatically populate. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

• Options

Its under "My Preferences" when you're in the inventory screen. Make sure the box is checked

• Options

My book from Brad has arrived!!!! Thanks to everyone who pointed me in the right direction.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coins @Tunis