Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BBCE & the Jordan craze.

They have absolutely no basketball unopened product on their site of the main manufacturers in the Jordan years up into at least the early 90’s. I know for a fact that they have a ton of stuff in some of these years. Maybe all years except for 86-87.

What gives? Are they hoarding it to see how high the market goes, not selling it because they can’t do business with the shutdown, or saving it for the National (that won’t happen)?

Comments

• Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

Absence of product makes the heart grow fonder.

chaz

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Well, like many businesses, I'd suspect that if there is extreme market volatility, especially trending upwards by multiples, they might sell a small fraction of their stock while saving some of it back to see how things play out. They don't have any sort of moral obligation to sell cheaply so we can all make some money. I would suspect that they have some that they are holding back in the hopes that this keeps getting more and more out of control. Keep in mind as well, their sources of new product (buying trips and people walking in with stuff they want to sell) aren't happening at all right now I'd guess. There might be people selling to them via mail, but right now I'd suspect that people are happier to sell on the Facebook groups or even ebay for the higher prices that are happening right now.
    kevin

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Three boxes of 1990 Skybox series 1 sold for $108, including shipping, last night. I'm guessing they pulled everything until they have a firmer grasp on what the hell is going on.

I'm willing to bet that they have a better idea than most about how much of certain stuff is actually out there and how quickly and cheaply they can replace certain stock. So, if they're not worried about inventory I imagine they'll sell into this whirlwind. If inventory is unknown I imagine they pull it from the site. That's what I would do.

Although, I suck at business and economics and stuff like that so maybe the opposite is better.

Arthur

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slow playing it. I would do the same thing. BBCE is kind of the barometer. If he shows none available, it drives prices up and or other product to be gobbled up. Once the price point consistently reaches that next level, sell a little, Rinse. Wash. Repeat. Product was so cheap that it’s easy to gamble on to invoke this strategy.

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2020 1:49PM

BBCE is still taking on-line orders, how do you know they're not sold out? Why do you think he's hoarding? BBCE can adjust their pricing accordingly to recent ebay sales as well. I forgot you're the unopen Nostradamus.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be good business to hold on to some product until prices sort themselves out. BBCE is not a charity so good on them if they pulled back a bit.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

These inflated prices are brought to you by the Buyers Club.