Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Chomping at the bit for PSA to start accepting bulk submissions

I probably have 270 cards to go. A month ago I think it was 225. I just keep adding. I likely wont get my submission back until the next decade but at least it will be there!

Comments

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

My take is that it would behoove them to get caught up with all the current orders and then start taking new orders. They are woefully behind. When it takes over 100 business days to get an order, that means there needs to be some adjustments on their end to either get up to speed, make internal changes, make submission changes, etc. Plus with the virus, they will need to be more careful.

Here a few suggestions to think about and once again these are just suggestions:

1) Need the receiving department to cut down on orders. The change on the bulk to 200 cards in an order to get the best discount was a great start. Lots of overhead in this department. They need to get to a point where they are grading 10,000 cards per day with 40 submissions versus 150 submissions (i.e. each order needs to be larger, need to decrease volume of orders, not volume of cards).

2) Micro manage each order - Bulk mainly. Instead of allowing you to send in any cards from 1957 to now in one order, they need make each submission more specific. This allows each grading tandem to focus their attention to certain years or groups of cards. The submitters, us, might not like it as much, but it would help everyone in the end. So, for example, one tandem of graders may grade all submissions with cards from 1957 - 1972. The next tandem might grade all cards from 1973 - 1991. and so forth. It can be broken down further if it needs to be or more or less years, issues, etc. The graders would have the proper knowledge of each issue, since these are the only years they would grade. Each submission would need to be broken down the same way by the submitters. So we would need to have a 250 card submission for 1973 - 1991 cards, only. Once a submission is received, PSA already knows which graders will grade it. There may only be only 20 of these type of submissions per week, so that vintage guys like me don't have to sit behind and wait for all of the current year submitters (2016 - 2020). Since I would aasume that's were a bulk of the PSA orders come from.

3) Don't grade certain cards. For example if I send in a 1982 Topps Shooty Babbitt and it grades a PSA 6, there is no need in PSA wasting their time slabbing it. Much like trimmed cards, miscut cards, just send it back to the submitter ungraded with a N12, does not meet minimum grade standards for the year in question. Certainly for older cards maybe 1956 and back, PSA should just grade the card, but for most issues in the last 60 years there would be no need to slab such worthless cards. There may be 10 or 15 of these in each 200 bulk submission for vintage, once again saving time for them and really saving storage for the submitter who probably doesn't need this Shooty Babbitt slabbed as a 6.

This post is not intended to point a finger at anyone, just some thoughts from a 13 year submitter.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

1) I dont think they would do that because they would lose out on money for joining the club. Less people would join and get in submissions with other people who are already club members. Personally, I think they should just trash the club and let anyone submit.

2) I think this is a great idea if they got rid of the club memberships. But for vintage, maybe a bulk sub can be 100 cards but a more modern sub would require 200. Or a sliding scale where your 1972-1991 would require minimum 150 cards. But Im in agreement with having more specialized graders for the era of cards. Im sure it would greatly speed up the process. It may also make it better for hiring depending on the person's credentials for the era they are grading.

3) Im not sure I like the idea of what is perceived to be worthless and not slabbing. I could see lots of issues with that. Im sending in a 1972 Kelloggs Clemente that is beat to hell (Likely a 2 grade). Is not worth hardly anything but it has a sentimental value to me and I would love to have it sealed up in a PSA slab.

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

It’s weird. I’ve relegated myself to know that anything I break now, and get a card that I’d send in, that it’s at least a year away before actually seeing a graded slab.

A year is a long time. Lots can happen between now and then.

• Options

yankeeno,

clemente vs shooty babbitt, big difference. i think if its a HOF vintage, they grade or maybe you can designate it. i have jeter rookies that graded a 6. i could probably sell it for more ungraded. you can nitpick it to death, but i think you have to go with what makes sense. 1993 topps jeter a psa 6 or just have it ungraded?

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

Afternoon,

So what is the Most Cost Effective (Cheapest) :) ) Bulk Economy cost nowadays when they get back started? As of right now I have 69 each 1945 Mutoscope Artists Pinups, which Are Oversized I assume they are Tall Boys? (They are 3 1/2" Wide X 5 1/8" Tall).

I'm Sure I'll be way North of 100 Cards by next week! Am I hearing that a bulk order is 100 Cards, or is it 200 now?

Thanks

Neil

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thedutymon11 said:
    Afternoon,

So what is the Most Cost Effective (Cheapest) :) ) Bulk Economy cost nowadays when they get back started? As of right now I have 69 each 1945 Mutoscope Artists Pinups, which Are Oversized I assume they are Tall Boys? (They are 3 1/2" Wide X 5 1/8" Tall).

I'm Sure I'll be way North of 100 Cards by next week! Am I hearing that a bulk order is 100 Cards, or is it 200 now?

Thanks

Neil

Tall Boy holders are 3 1/2" x 5 1/6", so you are good. Oh and we didn't get a YeeHah out of you! :p

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thedutymon11 said:
    Afternoon,

Thanks

Neil

As per January 1, 2020

BULK SERVICES **

Declared value is under $100 (per card). Excludes autograph dual service cards and supersized cards. Items requiring a Jumbo holder will be subject to an additional $30 holder charge.

50 Card Minimum $10/card
    100 Card Minimum $9/card
    200 Card Minimum $8.50/card

** Must be a PSA Collectors Club member to use PSA Bulk Services.
    ESTIMATED TURNAROUND: 85 Business Days
    Please mark outside of shipment box with "Bulk"

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

Afternoon,

So do Tall Boys qualify for Bulk at these prices!

Declared value is under $100 (per card). Excludes autograph dual service cards and supersized cards. Items requiring a Jumbo holder will be subject to an additional $30 holder charge.

50 Card Minimum $10/card
    100 Card Minimum $9/card

My Bad !!!!

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thedutymon11 said:
    Afternoon,

So do Tall Boys qualify for Bulk at these prices!

50 Card Minimum $10/card
    100 Card Minimum $9/card

My Bad !!!!

YeeHah!

Neil

Yes they do, tallboys and regular sized cards don't have to be separated any longer and can be put on the same sub.

YeeHah!

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@maddux69 said:
    Yes they do, tallboys and regular sized cards don't have to be separated any longer and can be put on the same sub.

YeeHah!

Does each different size still need it's own shipping fee back from PSA?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2020 6:57AM

@olb31 said:
    2) Micro manage each order - Bulk mainly. Instead of allowing you to send in any cards from 1957 to now in one order, they need make each submission more specific. This allows each grading tandem to focus their attention to certain years or groups of cards. The submitters, us, might not like it as much, but it would help everyone in the end. So, for example, one tandem of graders may grade all submissions with cards from 1957 - 1972. The next tandem might grade all cards from 1973 - 1991. and so forth. It can be broken down further if it needs to be or more or less years, issues, etc. The graders would have the proper knowledge of each issue, since these are the only years they would grade. Each submission would need to be broken down the same way by the submitters. So we would need to have a 250 card submission for 1973 - 1991 cards, only. Once a submission is received, PSA already knows which graders will grade it. There may only be only 20 of these type of submissions per week, so that vintage guys like me don't have to sit behind and wait for all of the current year submitters (2016 - 2020). Since I would aasume that's were a bulk of the PSA orders come from.

Prescient, got any lotto numbers?

ETA: This comment will make a lot more sense on May 1st.

• Options
    dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    yankeeno,

clemente vs shooty babbitt, big difference. i think if its a HOF vintage, they grade or maybe you can designate it. i have jeter rookies that graded a 6. i could probably sell it for more ungraded. you can nitpick it to death, but i think you have to go with what makes sense. 1993 topps jeter a psa 6 or just have it ungraded?

people trying to complete graded sets in the registry need the common junk cards graded. its not always for value, resale or PC/personal reasons. the whole idea of the set registry is to complete the sets. being not permitted to grade just what you feel is unworthy, might be necessary for others.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are new CC subs also "banned" until the shutdown is over? I think I saw a few graders on the beach getting some sun, they need to get back to work!

Mike
  • Options

Precient - sorry I speak english, I'm not aware of this> @dictoresno1 said:

@olb31 said:
    yankeeno,

people trying to complete graded sets in the registry need the common junk cards graded. its not always for value, resale or PC/personal reasons. the whole idea of the set registry is to complete the sets. being not permitted to grade just what you feel is unworthy, might be necessary for others.

If you glance through the pop reports from let's say 1972 and up, most of the commons have several 10's, 50 - 100 9's, 200+ 8's. The 8's sale for $10. Why would anyone want to put a 6 in their set if 8's are sitting on ebay for $10 already graded. So in my example, why would you be trying to build a 1982 topps psa 6 set? The cards would have no value and you would spend $7,000+ just to grade all the cards in the set to end up with $0 value set. From 1972 up (baseball only), how many PSA 6 cards would sell for more than $50, 1975 Brett, 1973 Schmidt, maybe 3 or 4 more.

I have 3 registry sets, I have 0 PSA 6's in them. And why would I. Know if it's 1952 topps set, that's different. Heck i wouldn't want them to slab a 1984 donruss mattingly in a psa 6 holder, it's probably worth more raw.

Now with the cards being $8.50 per 200 bulk, I think the number of 1982 topps Shooty Babbitt's that will be graded in the next decade will be nil. Commons are just too expensive to grade in bulk. If you don't get at least a 9, it's a losing proposition. And even a 9 for most years 1972 and up could be a losing proposition.

I'm not saying do this for all years, but outside of 100 cards from 1972 and up, PSA 6's and 7's are useless and have no value monetarily or for the registry. I am just providing a way to speed up the grading process and still have the consumer satisifed. Not any or all of my suggestions will be 100% liked, but if 60% think it makes sense then maybe it's worth PSA implementing some different grading strategies to help speed up the process by a week or two.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know all this discussion would lead one to believe that there has been an overflow of 1982 Topps Babbits in 6. In fact the pop report shows none graded in less than 8. Perhaps this is a solution in search of a problem?