Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Picture taken with Graig Nettles 1973

Back in 1973 the Yankees had camera day and if you were 15 and under you lined up and got a Polaroid picture taken with a Yankee player and my player was Graig Nettles who was one of my favorite players. Does anyone here remember or went to that camera day? As you might have guessed my mother threw the picture out along with my baseball cards so I only have the memory.

Comments

• Options

I was 14 years old with my Yankee cap long hair past my neck we wore it longer back then and I was staring directly at Nettles not looking at the camera. I think that was the only year they did that they moved to Shea for the 74 and 75 season.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

I can remember going to Camera Day at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore in the mid to late 1980's

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone remember banner day? The NY METS used to have it in the 60's along with helmet day.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Anyone remember banner day? The NY METS used to have it in the 60's along with helmet day.

The Mets had banner day in to the 80s at least. They would open the center field wall and you would walk your banner from the outfield all the way to the home plate area. My buddies made and carried one once in 85 (i think) that read:

Strawberry shortcake
    Gooden K's the side
    The flushing wave is coming
    And the Cubs had better hide.

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

Pic throw outs happen a lot which is why meeting them again when older is always nice B)

• Options
    magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

@rmilin said:
    Back in 1973 the Yankees had camera day and if you were 15 and under you lined up and got a Polaroid picture taken with a Yankee player and my player was Graig Nettles who was one of my favorite players. Does anyone here remember or went to that camera day? As you might have guessed my mother threw the picture out along with my baseball cards so I only have the memory.

:|

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

When I was a kid and went to baseball card shows, most of the auto guests didn't mind my dad taking a picture of me with them. So in my office are me with Johnny Bench and one of me watching Mantle sign my baseball. Good memories.
    kevin

• Options

I have no ideal who is that in the picture? Those autographed Mantle balls are going up to $1,000 dollars I know they were going for $500 a few years ago on Ebay.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmilin said:
    I have no ideal who is that in the picture?

Just read. Steve Garvey.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    rmilinrmilin Posts: 91

Thats Steve Garvey? How tall is he? I thought he was much bigger he looks small there never would of known it was him but I do now recognize that chin.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2020 9:48PM

Garvey is short. I want to say 5'10" w/o looking it up, maybe shorter. I say short, because I am 6'5" so most people I meet are shorter than I am.

I have some of the photo day photos from the 1980 Mariners.

https://1978theyearitallbegan.blogspot.com/2010/09/flashback-to-kingdome-circa-1980.html

When I finally got to meet Garvey, there was no standing...He was seated and I knelt next to the table.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

I was 11 years old in 1984 when I did a couple picture days with the San Diego Padres. They're at my mom's somewhere, but I have a pic with Dick Williams, Alan Wiggins, Carmelo Martinez, and Graig Nettles. Maybe a couple others. Garvey was out there but he was too popular and we couldn't get one with him. What's funny is I have no recollection of Tony Gwynn being at any of them. Those were fun. Do any teams do these anymore?

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

You'd know best growing up in the area at the time, but I was going to suggest that the hype on rookies was not as great then as it is today. Is it possible Gwynn was there, but since it was his breakout year in 1984, he was not as well known quite yet? By the end of that year though, no question he was a household name with a silver slugger, AS game appearance, Hits leader and a batting crown, not to mention the Pads went to the WS.

The only reason I "remember" anything about my picture experience was because the pictures survived. It was awesome to go back through them and see who I did get photos of. Amazingly enough, 2 out of maybe 10 photos I had were very short time Mariner coaches and former star players themselves. Bill Mazeroski and Vada Pinson.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    rmilinrmilin Posts: 91

I thought Garvey was around 6 foot 2 I wonder what if he played today there all really big today not too many smaller players anymore.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually met Ric Flair at a Gold's Gym opening in the 90s in North Carolina, and I had my picture taken with him, but lost it years ago. I remember I was about 14 at the time, and when I shook his hand he had a powerful grip and just about crushed my hand. He just about crushed my little chicken wing.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Cubs season ticket holder they let us pick a perk this year for the first time. The one I selected was camera day where we could get pictures with Cubs players on the Warning Track at Wrigley Field (in front of the ivy). No way that happens now even though they confirmed that I received my first choice.