Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1957 basketball cards

every baseball card has been graded more than all cards in the basketball set. only bill russell has been graded over 500 times. there are many 1957 baseball cards in the thousands. this set looks like the one to invest in, even more than the baseball set. from 1986 up, basketball is the number 1 collectible. could be a good chance to stock up on the older sets before they blow up.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you figure that basketball is #1 after 1986?

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    How do you figure that basketball is #1 after 1986?

1986 Jordan, 1996 Kobe, 2003 Lebron, 2016? - bucks player - Giannis (can't sp), 2019 - Zion, 2009 Curry. These cards and many more and selling at very high numbers. Baseball has Trout, Jeter. Football - Mahomes, rice, young, Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Manning, Wilson. Looks to me Baseball is now third, something I thought would happen since 1986.

Baseball popularity has been dying for decades. The average sports fan can't name 5 players or if they can they don't know which team they play for. Football is football, most watched of all sports in the US. And Baskets, read dustin's take above.

• Options
    edited April 26, 2020 6:28PM

Number 1 sport and number 1 collectible don't necessarily go hand-in-hand.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    every baseball card has been graded more than all cards in the basketball set. only bill russell has been graded over 500 times. there are many 1957 baseball cards in the thousands. this set looks like the one to invest in, even more than the baseball set. from 1986 up, basketball is the number 1 collectible. could be a good chance to stock up on the older sets before they blow up.

I agree that vintage basketball And football are undervalued compared to baseball. Currently, more baseball card collectors as America’s past time, plus lots more product out there. Basketball has passed baseball as the 2nd most popular sport in the US, plus the Asian market is growing. Room to grow for the greats from basketball and football (Russell, Wilt, Mikan, Alcindor, West, Robertson, Dr. J, Baylor, Havlicek, etc., - Jim Brown, Unitas, Starr, Graham, Baugh, Butkus, etc.)

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭

Dan
    Is that your Brady?? If so yowser !!!!!

I rate hockey as the most undervalued of all the sports. Vintage is considerably less that the other sports when you consider scarcity. Now the world plays in the NHL. There are a few big time HOFers that get big money.
    Vintage basketball is scarce and in high demand but prices are relatively stable. Sure the RC's slowly go up.
    It is the newer cards that are screaming upward. I have a few Panini prizm that have 5X to 10X increased in values in a relatively short period of time The silver RC versions go up super fast if the player becomes a star.
    Same thing in newer fooball or baseball. The newer RC of he major starts are flying upward.
    Mahomes and Trout cards go up without a seemingly end.

A problem I have had and still do is: How can a card of a guy in his 1st or 2nd year be worth more that a player already in the HOF???????? Investors need to get over this.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    ArmyManArmyMan Posts: 40 ✭✭

@dustinspeaks said:
    My thing with the new stuff is I have no idea what to buy. I like it when there is 1 RC card. Even Topps Fleer Donruss was cool. But now there are like 50 RC cards for a lot of these guys. The super limited variants get me down too. Why would I buy anything new if what I buy is going to be inferior by design? I could buy a cool RC card. But, 5 guys are going to pull the super lenticular gold foil suprefractor die cut 1/5 that has a chip off a bat on one side and a dime size jersey swatch on the other, happened to be signed in red ink instead of black on the day the dude signed his contract and for some reason Jeter signed the reverse. I can't get in to that. I want to collect cards like I did when I was a kid. That market just doesn't exist anymore.

I get that totally, I collect vintage and modern, but with modern, I pretty much resigned myself to sticking to the Topps Flagship product, that being Series 1 and Series 2, that's even getting difficult with SP and SSP rookies, but I stick to Base rookies and I'm happy. I don't get off track and buy Heritage, Allen and Ginter, Sapphire, those are fine products, but could be financially draining.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dustinspeaks said:
    My thing with the new stuff is I have no idea what to buy. I like it when there is 1 RC card. Even Topps Fleer Donruss was cool. But now there are like 50 RC cards for a lot of these guys. The super limited variants get me down too. Why would I buy anything new if what I buy is going to be inferior by design? I could buy a cool RC card. But, 5 guys are going to pull the super lenticular gold foil suprefractor die cut 1/5 that has a chip off a bat on one side and a dime size jersey swatch on the other, happened to be signed in red ink instead of black on the day the dude signed his contract and for some reason Jeter signed the reverse. I can't get in to that. I want to collect cards like I did when I was a kid. That market just doesn't exist anymore.

Evolution of the hobby is what I like to call it. It's gotten insane with all the parallels, chrome, refractors, game used, serial numbered, auto, and so on. The days of a player having one rookie card are gone for good.

• Options

Dustin,

I agree 100% with your new rookie comment. Prizm's, Refractors, different colors, unless it's numbered I have no idea.

• Options

@jay0791 said:
    Dan
    Is that your Brady?? If so yowser !!!!!

I rate hockey as the most undervalued of all the sports. Vintage is considerably less that the other sports when you consider scarcity. Now the world plays in the NHL. There are a few big time HOFers that get big money.
    Vintage basketball is scarce and in high demand but prices are relatively stable. Sure the RC's slowly go up.
    It is the newer cards that are screaming upward. I have a few Panini prizm that have 5X to 10X increased in values in a relatively short period of time The silver RC versions go up super fast if the player becomes a star.
    Same thing in newer fooball or baseball. The newer RC of he major starts are flying upward.
    Mahomes and Trout cards go up without a seemingly end.

A problem I have had and still do is: How can a card of a guy in his 1st or 2nd year be worth more that a player already in the HOF???????? Investors need to get over this.

No, not my Brady. God, I wish it was! I collect Patriots HOF RCs but that might be the one I never get, sadly.

Yaz Master Set

• Options

I picked up 5 cases of 2000 Sp from Jenny a couple of years ago for $200 per case. She really helped me with my unopened collection. Do you need a few boxes? LOL!!

• Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@dustinspeaks said:

Evolution of the hobby is what I like to call it. It's gotten insane with all the parallels, chrome, refractors, game used, serial numbered, auto, and so on. The days of a player having one rookie card are gone for good.

It's to get people to buy more packs/boxes.. Blasters, hobby, retail etc. This pack only has this parallels, this box only has that one etc. It's to get folks to keep chasing and buying.