Homeβ€Ί World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Another George III c/m to ponder..

jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 25, 2020 5:01PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I like to periodically peruse the latest offerings of Geo 3 stamps...
Here's a fun one up on the bay... probably way too much to pay for a CC but I was a bit surprised who is the seller..

Particularly since it appears that they seem to think it's real...do you think it actually contains .78 oz of silver?
πŸ˜„

Comments

• Options

It is up now, I guess it's possible someone here may even want it enough to pay up?..or maybe contact them with an offer?
    Been an excellent supply of non regals hitting the bay lately πŸ™‚

• Options
    Que_sai_jeQue_sai_je Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

This is not a circulating Latin non regal. It's a very common base metal UK made forgery made long after 1804 in the mistaken belief that one could not be prosecuted for counterfeiting these. The hangman cured that notion. Many still have traces of silvering, and some of the later ones are actually fairly well done and Sheffield plated. To be blunt, this one is swill.

• Options

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much to ponder on that one.

How about this?

• Options

Did you get it from apmex...πŸ€ͺ
    I am curious, it's a legit counterstamp on a bogus 8R?
    And the stamp grades 55?

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently sold this one to a dealer for his personal collection. He was the one who identified it as a contemporary counterfeit with a counterfeit counter mark:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

The APMEX piece (which, yeah, c'mon - does that look like silver, bullion guys?!) is amusing, too, since it's an improper mule imitation - peninsular Spain obv mated with Mexico rev.

As noted, UK made... I'd say somewhat common (a bit less so than some of the other 1792 and 1794 dated CCs).

Roman, LOL at the "1772"... they pulled the Newman tag off it:
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/great-britain-george-iii-counterstamped-bank-of-england-dollar-nd-1799-1804-/a/3029-30684.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

• Options

Did you notice that Newman label doesn't mention anything about the host being a counterfeit?

• Options

Yeah. I'm sure Newman knew what it was, though... I'm a little surprised NGC put it back in a holder.

Heritage/NGC also missed the one a couple lots before (an even more obvious example)... but DID pull this one - guess someone called out the mark, since host is unquestionably genuine:
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?similar=1343758

• Options

Shark infested waters..

• Options

Makes for more sophisticated collectors ;)

• Options

I'd be interested in seeing the "multiple quantity in inventory" that Apmex is hoarding.

• Options

That response you got was a canned answer; they clearly didn't bother checking. Listing states exact item pictured, and if you try to adjust quantity it says only one in stock. That's almost certainly the one and only coin... its crummy condition reflected in the fairly low (by a large-scale seller like that's standards) asking price.

It's coronatime... to be expected.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to get one of these someday, but they scare the heck out of me.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see that 1772 FM in a slab that clearly identifies the host as counterfeit. I always understood that whatever host the Tower Mint stamped became a legitimate BOE bank dollar but the additional clarification in this case is appreciated.

• Options

...or at least it makes me more confident that a similar host without the counterstamp would not get slabbed as genuine ;)

• Options

@jgenn said:
    Nice to see that 1772 FM in a slab that clearly identifies the host as counterfeit. I always understood that whatever host the Tower Mint stamped became a legitimate BOE bank dollar but the additional clarification in this case is appreciated.

Wasn't aware of that - would be a neat fact if we can get a confirmation.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:

@jgenn said:

Second that...😊
    @jgenn, is there a reference you can site?

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:

@jgenn said:

Sorry, what exactly are you asking about?

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just for comparison, I think this one is real:

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:
    Just for comparison, I think this one is real:

It looks good to me. That mark used on the silverware is common, on coins, not so much. I've seen it often on silver and it is very detailed for the period and how small it is!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s a couple on some of my silver:
    London, 1787:

And London, 1788: