Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Cinco pesos rolls

I had a chance to aquire several rolls of Mexican Silver cinco pesos that came in plastic tubes from Blanchard. The person I bought them from says they haven’t been opened in over 30 years. After getting them and opening two rolls up I can with confidence say they haven’t been opened in a really long time if ever since coming from Blanchard. So my question is since I know very little about world coins, are these just bullion coins, is there any collector interest in these? They seem to go for a decent premium on eBay. Is it worth keeping them sealed? The ones I opened did have some toning on the end coins but nothing spectacular. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are worth more than bullion - maybe up to 2X if they are nice. The 1947 dates are scarcer and bring a nice premium.

thefinn
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are really cool, and late date crown sized coins with a wonderful design. I like them a lot myself, I find they usually sell for more than melt as they are really a coin minted to circulate but didn't as the peso devalued quickly.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

These were considered bullion coins in the 1960s and 1970s before the silver onzas came out.

Later on, the 0.925 onzas came out then the 0.999 onzas.

• Options
    nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the replies, they are very much appreciated.