Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The nerve of some people!!!

So yesterday I get an eBay message from a potential buyer asking about a Frank Thomas PSA 10 I have for sale.
The card is listed at $14.99 plus $3.50 shipping. He asked if I would be willing to sell it for $12 shipped. I told him I
could do $15 shipped but that's the best I could do. Here is the response I got.

Thank you for the offer. However I'll have to pass. I cant afford it. I'm out of work because of whats going on in the world. I hope you understand.>

My first thought REALLY my second thought was REALLY who would use I am out of work as an excuse?
If $3 is going to brake you maybe you shouldn't be buy baseball cards when your out of work in an epidemic.

Ok I'm done feel so much better now.
James

Comments

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

@bighurt2000 said:
    So yesterday I get an eBay message from a potential buyer asking about a Frank Thomas PSA 10 I have for sale.
    The card is listed at $14.99 plus $3.50 shipping. He asked if I would be willing to sell it for $12 shipped. I told him I
    could do $15 shipped but that's the best I could do. Here is the response I got.

Thank you for the offer. However I'll have to pass. I cant afford it. I'm out of work because of whats going on in the world. I hope you understand.>

My first thought REALLY my second thought was REALLY who would use I am out of work as an excuse?
    If $3 is going to brake you maybe you shouldn't be buy baseball cards when your out of work in an epidemic.

Ok I'm done feel so much better now.
    James

Deep Breathe,

Just Walk it Off, Just Walk it Off....Remember you Cannot reach through the screen and Physically Choke someone, even if that is your first reaction!!!

YeeHah

Neil :D

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a couple of "oddball" items listed with a starting bid of $9.99 plus shipping. These are not items that are in demand, but are extremely rare.

I had people try to get me to come down on both items by nearly half. I politely refused.

Later relisted as a BIN at $9.99 + shipping and the items sold.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:
    In 20+ years of online card collecting, I have witnessed and fully reinforced the fact that the internet is loaded with "special" people.

I would say this person is not quite as high on the scale as many, but I agree with you. If $3 is the breaking point on a $15 transaction between a deal and not being able to afford it due to pandemic conditions, maybe you should not be buying baseball cards. Heck, maybe you should not be spending time on the internet at that point either.

B)

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2020 5:53AM

$3 Ain't going to break anyone. If he really needed those $3 to begin with, then he was already broken long time ago. Just his way or bargaining by trying to take advantage of the worlds current situation. I understand he's a cheapskate. Id rather hold onto it a bit longer and for it go someone who really wants it than to someone like that.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

My first thought is that if you are struggling financially you should not be buying sports cards.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes, with people it's not the money in as much as it's the thrill of victory (whittling someone down on a price).

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Being an eBay seller for 20 years, I've come across a lot of special folks. Capital S special. Inhale OP, process, laugh your ass off, move on. It's an inevitability that small time online sellers like us can't avoid. Hell, I'm dealing with a buyer right now that keeps haranguing me for some item he ended up losing, but it entertains me, haha, whatever.

Currently seeking 1975 Hostess panels
    Got one, two, more? Let me know!!

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed with all this above. A couple weeks ago, I had someone message me asking about an item I had listed. It was $20 plus shipping, and he bothered to take the time to write asking if I'd accept $6, shipping included in that amount.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been getting the same kind of messages from these idiots for the past month or so. I just ignore.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2020 7:59PM

I have been getting a huge increase in the number of people who are sending me offers on things I do not have listed as a "best offer" option. And most of them are not $100+ items, its items that I have listed for $12 with free shipping and they send me the "will you take $6 for it?"

Of course there is the one idiot that had a card listed for $27 or best offer, I offered him $21 for it since that is what the last 5 or 6 had been selling for, he immediately raises the price to $49 with best offer option and then two days later raises it to $79 with best offer, even though there are plenty actually for sale at $35 or less. It stands to reason why he has 40 negatives in the past year.

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

That's nothing, I had a $20 card for sale one time and this was the message I received....
    "Hi, I know this is a strange request, but I was wondering if you could just give me this card? I would like to give this card to my son as that is his favorite player."

Sure bud, let me pull down my pants and let you kick me in the nuts and please provide your address.

• Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2020 4:14AM

That's nothing, I had a $20 card for sale one time and this was the message I received....
    "Hi, I know this is a strange request, but I was wondering if you could just give me this card? I would like to give this card to my son as that is his favorite player."

Wow just think if he sends that message to one hundred people a day it only take one to send a card to be worth wild.
    Just cut and past the same line to 100 sellers. It's like those guys how ask you to send extra cards with the package.

James