Home Sports Talk
Options

You heard it here first- Reunion with Gronk and Brady

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rumor: the Pats will trade Gronkowski and a seventh-round pick to Tampa Bay in exchange for a fourth-round pick. The deal is agreed upon pending a physical.

And further confirmation from Rob Gronkowski’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, who texted ESPN: “Pending the physical, Rob has agreed to play for Tampa this season. He will honor his current contract at this time.”

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 21, 2020

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really? If I’m the Pats I’d say no. Why should they just give him away like that? Basically Gronk thought he was going to have movie deals and all he got was that stupid wrestling gig. I’d tell Gronk if he wants to play Football it will have to be in a Pats uniform.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not surprised by this...just watched the chat on ESPN.

Gotta wonder why Gronk left and now Brady...what is the real behind the scenes story? Gotta be more than palm trees, the beach and you can take your kids to Disney, etc.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

Evans, Godwin, Gronk............that is a nasty trio

if the Bucs can get their hands on a half-decent RB they'll be ridiculous on offense

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

oh, brother.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2020 3:43PM

That wrestling gig was a joke, he should have played last season, and helped Brady. They would have been back to back champs. Instead he chose to run around the ring in his little panties.

• Options

looking at him now it appears Gronkowski has lost 20-30 pounds and a lot of it seems to be muscle mass. I will leave it at that.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe BB can transfer to Tampa and reunite with the ole gang. :oB)

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take a midround pick for a guy that wasn't even active for a year. I just hope Brady & Gronk actually get to play some football this year.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

if the Bucs can get their hands on a half-decent RB they'll be ridiculous on offense

They actually do have a decent RB, Ronald Jones I think? He was on the cusp of being the lead back last season if I remember correctly.. the OL is not that great though

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

Hell,you could of said Gronk,Howard & Brate is a nasty trio as well. Coronavirus might be the only thing stopping that offense this season.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

They actually do have a decent RB, Ronald Jones I think? He was on the cusp of being the lead back last season if I remember correctly.. the OL is not that great though

he posted decent numbers, but i don't think Tampa is sold on him being a #1 back

there were lingering rumors that they were trying to trade for Fournette, but those were squashed

i think they will try to upgrade the RB position and find a stud tackle for Brady's blind side in the draft

• Options

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet but Gronk's 9M-ish should also be coming off the Pats books as well.

• Options

by the way, color me a little confused.

if Bill Belly is the central reason behind NE's success the past two decades, then why is Gronk coming out of retirement to follow Brady?

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just wrote this in Pats thread. Copied it....

#Gronk to the Bucs for a 4th? I am not happy. Compensation too low. If the Bucs refused to do better, then don't do it. How about a 3rd and a 6th? A 2nd and 7th. A future first? Or even a 4th and a future 5th? I asked a fellow fan, and he thinks we we're lucky to get a 4th.

• Options

@keets said:
    looking at him now it appears Gronkowski has lost 20-30 pounds and a lot of it seems to be muscle mass. I will leave it at that.

True. But always seemed like the type who had to work on keeping the muscle. He is a freak athlete that bulked up.

I think he will be back to his old self. I was happy for him that he retired. But now I am upset he wasn't in NE last year.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    That wrestling gig was a joke, he should have played last season, and helped Brady. They would have been back to back champs. Instead he chose to run around the ring in his little panties.

I feel this way too, but I can assume that doing it this way he will now be elite again.

But NE could have been to another SB last year. They were obviously missing some offense, had the defense. The Pats receivers and TEs were horrendous most of last season.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

if Bill Belly is the central reason behind NE's success the past two decades, then why is Gronk coming out of retirement to follow Brady?

I'd call back asking what they'd give for Edelman too. Maybe even James White as well.
    If BB plans to rebuild then let's REBUILD with tons of picks and cap space.

• Options

Yea might as well ship Edelman to Tampa too. You know he wants to go there now

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

I'd call back asking what they'd give for Edelman too. Maybe even James White as well.

Stop right there. James White stays!

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

Stop right there. James White stays!

I'm down with that. BB can send Thuney & Edelman for some more picks and a TE. ;)

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Yea might as well ship Edelman to Tampa too. You know he wants to go there now

Yup... Maybe the Bucs want everyone. Send them Gunner for a 4th. :#

• Options

The Tampa Bay Patriots.

• Options

@keets said:
    The Tampa Bay Patriots.

I'll be watching every single game. That was happening with just Brady there but with Gronk in tow I'm looking foward to it even more. Belichick should just trade most of the team there now then send all us fans there as well. B)

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like the Bucs are now the home for old and crippled football players.

Let's tell it like it is, Brady is over the hill. I'm not saying that he's a bad QB, of course not. But if Bucs fans think that at his age, Brady is somehow going to return to his HOF form, they are going to be sadly mistaken. Brady now is more or less in the category of a serviceable QB.

And now Gronk? Seeing his pics, he has lost a lot of muscle mass and looks more now like a soccer player than a football player. He is damaged goods at this point, and in my opinion a terrible signing for Tampa Bay.

Frankly, I see this Bucs "experiment" with Brady, Gronk, etc, ending badly, and it's not a tough call.

I realize that Belichick bashers would delight in seeing Brady and Gronk do well, even if they aren't Bucs fans, just to stick it to Belichick. Well, i think it's going to be the GOAT Bill Belichick who is going to have the last laugh over all of this.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    I just wrote this in Pats thread. Copied it....

#Gronk to the Bucs for a 4th? I am not happy. Compensation too low. If the Bucs refused to do better, then don't do it. How about a 3rd and a 6th? A 2nd and 7th. A future first? Or even a 4th and a future 5th? I asked a fellow fan, and he thinks we we're lucky to get a 4th.

He's right. New England had no leverage. Had to take what they could get because it was Tampa or nothing for Gronk.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Seems like the Bucs are now the home for old and crippled football players.

Let's tell it like it is, Brady is over the hill. I'm not saying that he's a bad QB, of course not. But if Bucs fans think that at his age, Brady is somehow going to return to his HOF form, they are going to be sadly mistaken. Brady now is more or less in the category of a serviceable QB.

And now Gronk? Seeing his pics, he has lost a lot of muscle mass and looks more now like a soccer player than a football player. He is damaged goods at this point, and in my opinion a terrible signing for Tampa Bay.

Frankly, I see this Bucs "experiment" with Brady, Gronk, etc, ending badly, and it's not a tough call.

I realize that Belichick bashers would delight in seeing Brady and Gronk do well, even if they aren't Bucs fans, just to stick it to Belichick. Well, i think it's going to be the GOAT Bill Belichick who is going to have the last laugh over all of this.

It’s remained to be seen how well Brady will do and for the record I got no problem with Bill letting him sign elsewhere if in fact he believes that he wasn’t going to be worth the money and felt he didn’t want to be in New England, that’s fine and I really don’t have an issue with that thought process. That being said he could have done better than a 4th round pick for Gronk. The leverage was there, it was “No” if you want him give us a #2 pick or he doesn’t go play with Tom. End of story, he will just stay retired no big deal.

• Options

so now two things are in the mix --- Who "made" the Patriots over the past decades + seasons, Brady or Belichick?? Did the Patriots know Brady was "done" which is why they didn't re-sign him?? it's like a game within a game within a game.

• Options

@keets said:
    so now two things are in the mix --- Who "made" the Patriots over the past decades + seasons, Brady or Belichick?? Did the Patriots know Brady was "done" which is why they didn't re-sign him?? it's like a game within a game within a game.

Without Brady Belichick wins maybe 2 Super Bowls. Without Belichick Brady maybe wins 4 Super Bowls. That’s about as fair as I can be on this

• Options

let's be realistic, one without the other would need to get through each 16 game season and the playoffs before we could even talk Super Bowl victories. I don't know how your claim above could be so simplified. the combination of the two is what's been so special, not one without the other in a single defining game. the truth be told, Belichick without Brady and Brady without Belichick might mean the Patriots won --- zero --- Super Bowls during this era. the thought of them losing 1-2-3-4 games each season during that time isn't so far fetched.

drop the homer-ism and try to be objective for a change.

the bigger unknown(s) is who might have been Coaching that Team during that time, if it wasn't Bill Belichick, and what might he have accomplished?? who might have been playing Quarterback during that time, if it wasn't Tom Brady, and what might he have accomplished. a friend of mine who I seek counsel from always tells me not to get too focused on what "might be or might have been" and just turn my attention to what is. such is the case here, we know what they did together so it's pure mental masturbation to wonder what might have been.

this much I feel confident in saying --- in the overall scheme of things it is reasonable to believe that Bill Belichick had a greater influence on what was happening, not just during the games, but during the entire time. he literally ran the show. not to downplay the importance and affect of Tom Brady as a player, but that seems more important.

• Options

@keets.. No matter which direction I go it’s not homerism since they both are New England products right? Brady was more responsible for the success over the years and in my mind it’s not even debatable. I saw the games, and I absolutely saw Belichick cost the Patriots more games than Brady ever did. How many late drive interceptions or incompletions did Brady throw to lose games? Not that many and not nearly as many as the idiotic mistakes Bill has made.

• Options

One thing Brady may benefit from this season is a new coach "rating" Brady better than Belichick ever did.

We all know that Belichick used to leave Brady in games even when the Patriots clearly had the game wrapped up. My view is a coach shouldn't do that with any starting QB, but especially one who is in his 40's for crying out loud.

That could be called quarterback abuse. One of the very few coaching errors that GOAT Bill Belichick has made over the years.

• Options

To suggest Brady isn't responsible for the Patriots success is ludicrous. Brady went out there and got it done year after year with his arm, his pinpoint accuracy and his brain. If Bill is such a genius, then what happened in Cleveland from 1991-1995? He got canned after five seasons.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    To suggest Brady isn't responsible for the Patriots success is ludicrous. Brady went out there and got it done year after year with his arm, his pinpoint accuracy and his brain. If Bill is such a genius, then what happened in Cleveland from 1991-1995? He got canned after five seasons.

I think it should be noted that the genius of Bill Belichick was apparent in Cleveland at that time, and noticed by a number of knowledgeable sportswriters, etc, even though the won-loss record didn't indicate it.

Let's tell it like it is - Cleveland wasn't exactly a situation back then where an NFL head coach could flourish.

• Options

@stevek said:
    One thing Brady may benefit from this season is a new coach "rating" Brady better than Belichick ever did.

We all know that Belichick used to leave Brady in games even when the Patriots clearly had the game wrapped up. My view is a coach shouldn't do that with any starting QB, but especially one who is in his 40's for crying out loud.

That could be called quarterback abuse. One of the very few coaching errors that GOAT Bill Belichick has made over the years.

Smart guys can be socially awkward or have just zero common sense. Belichick is socially awkward and has zero common sense. I really can’t stand the guy honestly

• Options

@doubledragon said:

I knew there was more than one reason why Double D is one of my favorite guys here 🍻

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

I knew there was more than one reason why Double D is one of my favorite guys here 🍻

Thanks for the wedding invitation between you and Double D.

I'd really like to attend, but unfortunately that day i have an appointment with the pet groomer to get my cat Fluffy's nails clipped, and Fluffy doesn't like it when appointments aren't kept.

I will though be sending a nice wedding present which will be a full size 24" x 36" poster of Bill Belichick with colorful GOAT illustration around it to display in your TV room and enjoy.

Congratulations on the nuptials.

;)

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

I'd really like to attend, but unfortunately that day i have an appointment with the pet groomer to get my cat Fluffy's nails clipped, and Fluffy doesn't like it when appointments aren't kept.

I will though be sending a nice wedding present which will be a full size 24" x 36" poster of Bill Belichick with colorful GOAT illustration around it to display in your TV room and enjoy.

;)

Thank You, I could use a life size paper target for the range!!

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

;)

Oh, steve is just mad because his marriage to Dimeman went bad because an Eagles fan and a Cowboys fan can't live under the same roof. As far as Belichick goes, come on steve, with Brady at quarterback, a mannequin could have coached the Patriots to the superbowl.

The Patriots head coach (2000 - present)

• Options
    edited April 22, 2020 7:27AM

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

;)

Oh, steve is just mad because his marriage to Dimeman went bad because an Eagles fan and a Cowboys fan can't live under the same roof. As far as Belichick goes, come on steve, with Brady at quarterback, a mannequin could have coached the Patriots to the superbowl.

I only married Dimeman for his magnificent coin collection.

One second after the marriage vows, i filed for divorce and received half of his coins. 😆

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

;)

I only married Dimeman for his magnificent coin collection.

One second after the marriage vows, i filed for divorce and received half of his coins. 😆

😂😂 Love hurts!

• Options

I just need Gronk healthy for that first Bucs-Saints matchup then he can rest all season to be ready for the playoffs. :p;)

• Options

Frankly, i wonder if Gronk will pass the Bucs physical?

i mean it's quite obvious he's not even close to being in football shape right now.

A wide receiver can have that type of slim body, but not a tight end. The linebackers would kill Gronk out there in the condition that he is in now. And with his previous injuries, he might not last the first quarter of the first game.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get lined up for the 2021 football season, Game 3 is Bucs-Pats in Foxboro. Tix will come at a serious premium.
    I can't believe they'll boo Brady and Gronk, but could be. Wouldn't it be something if Edelman had joined the Bucs by then?

I hear that Paul is buying a block of 50 tix to hand out to his most favorite posters to enjoy the pre, game, and post game celebration, 50 yard line stuff! He's already booked the theater in Foxwoods and is lining up Madonna for a huge party....I don't think stevek qualifies though...it may take a mercy vote to allow him in.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2020 12:28PM

you have to hear these fools on talk radio, oh gronk screwed the team , tom screwed the team . And both of them screwed the fans.

Ya they should play for free because ............. the idea that any millionaire who works for a billionaire owe dummies willing to pay 12 bucks for a beer in a paper cup anything is redonkulous .

felger and mazz and the scally cap hippy idiot spent like 4 hours on this whole concept that its somehow wrong for players to have free will or control over who they play for or that if offered more money they should turn it down.

Bill belicheck is stupid enough to pay AB 10 million to sit out a whole year but was he really going to be dumb enough to do that again with Gronk?

Oh he should have refused to let him go, ok then pay him ! that is real smart force a guy to take 9 million and make him sit to teach some sort of lesson to who exactly? :D gronk didnt play and didnt get paid last year but you cant block a trade , sit him and also not pay him, . its just another example of how bill is mismanaging the roster and being an all around terrible gm

• Options
    edited April 22, 2020 12:49PM

Bronco you can’t be listening to Felger and Mazz. Really it’s too annoying listening to those idiots. Felger is the type of guy I would have to fight if I was in his presence once I heard him talking

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Get lined up for the 2021 football season, Game 3 is Bucs-Pats in Foxboro. Tix will come at a serious premium.
    I can't believe they'll boo Brady and Gronk, but could be. Wouldn't it be something if Edelman had joined the Bucs by then?

I hear that Paul is buying a block of 50 tix to hand out to his most favorite posters to enjoy the pre, game, and post game celebration, 50 yard line stuff! He's already booked the theater in Foxwoods and is lining up Madonna for a huge party....I don't think stevek qualifies though...it may take a mercy vote to allow him in.

Again Al, I love the way you think! 😂👍🍻

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Bronco you can’t be listening to Felger and Mazz. Really it’s too annoying listening to those idiots. Felger is the type of guy I would have to fight if I was in his presence once I heard him talking

in my garage i have my uncles old stereo and half the stations sound all crackly , today i put it on because i knew they would all be crying like gronk ran over their dog.

the callers were worse than the idiot hosts. They act like bill is a good gm , a monkee throwing darts at the draft board could pick better than bill its embarrassing