Home Q & A Forum

1858/59 Penny - No Date

I have a few 1859 pennies - no shield, bronze, etc. I found, in a bunch of pennies from my late brother in law, who was a coin dealer and collector for about 60 years, a no shield, bronze Indian head penny with no date. It's not that it has worn off or was filed off or something. Although it is not in the greatest of shape (G/VG is my guess), I think it's pretty apparent that there never was date on this coin.

I am no coin expert - just a hobby from my childhood - so I have no idea if this is a fraud/worthless/unusual/rare/boring or what. Any advice?

You can reach me at stanley.acton@gmail.com

Thanks folks!

Answers

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

IHC reference sites don't indicate a known no date error. Me thinks someone removed the date for reasons unknown. Love token in progress? Whatever, it's an oddity and a keeper. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• Thanks for taking the time to reply. Since I posted, I also noticed that the last "A" in "AMERICA" is missing, and that all along the rim next to "AMERICA", the stamping is bad. I guess it's just an anomaly that isn't all that interesting. Seemed so strange to me to see the rim stamping all intact, but the date stamp area appearing to have the same texture as the rest of the unstamped field of the coin.

Thanks again.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@aciceo Now that I think about it, might be a strike thru. A strike thru grease would have done it. error-ref.com is a good site.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not an expert in this catagory, but the edge seems to have what looks like damage from what may have been a vice or tool.
    If thats the case.

P.S. There was a small stray S mark.
    Cool !

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the date was removed and then the coin was thrown into some sort of tumbler or maybe even a clothes dryer from looking at the rim damage.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree. Removed for some unknown reason.

Keepable as a curiosity.