Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1981 & 1982 FBI Baseball Discs

Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a big fan of 1980's tough to find issues. While I like anomalies like the 1982 Topps blackless or 1984 Topps head encased proofs, or sets that were in production but never were distributed like 1980 Topps Pepsi, but what I really enjoy is regional issues that are just really tough to find. The FBI discs fit that bil., I'm sure what is most difficult can be argued, but in my opinion these have to be on the list. I don't have any from the 1981 set but have a panel and two boxes from the 1982 set, all in player collections that I work on. I used to own the ultra tough 1981 Reggie Jackson disc but broke up my Reggie collection years ago and that is now in the hands of another collector. Here are mind, I'd love to see what others have from these sets, graded or ungraded.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach

Comments

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

I know the Ryan collectors would agree as that one is on many a want list! How have you been? Still preaching?

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

love things like this!!

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh man, I want to see more of these. I have a 1982 FBI Discs Steve Garvey, but it's the disc only and not the panel. I also have an FBI panel of Dave Winfield/Vida Blue. I believe that one's a 1981. That's it for me.

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

I am the owner of the only graded Schmidt/Gullickson panel. I have only seen 4 total raw panels (mine included) and 2 raw single cards of Schmidt in my 40+ years collecting him. Super rare set, never seen at any of the big shows. I don't think these cards get their due.

• Options

@Gansetttime said:
    I am the owner of the only graded Schmidt/Gullickson panel. I have only seen 4 total raw panels (mine included) and 2 raw single cards of Schmidt in my 40+ years collecting him. Super rare set, never seen at any of the big shows. I don't think these cards get their due.

I've got to be honest, I didn't realize the Schmidt was so rare until recently. I mean, none of them are easy to find and the Nolan Ryan gets all the noise because he has an army of collectors, but the Schmidt panel might be the hardest to find in the set.

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

A few years back I had the opportunity to purchase the panel that had one of my favorite players , Steve Rogers an Expos pitcher . The guy wanted a LOT of money for it , so I passed on it . Looking back I should've finished the deal . For some , Live and Learn .

" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options

The only one I own, I am a Cubs collector. I need the impossible 1981 Dave Kingman.

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

@1963ellsworth22and10 said:
    The only one I own, I am a Cubs collector. I need the impossible 1981 Dave Kingman.

That's in great shape!,

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I am not sure which year, but a Schmidt panel just sold very strongly on ebay. I think it broke $1K.

I have both Garvey panels, but they could both be in better condition for my taste, but when an issue is that hard to find, you can't complain if one comes available.

Ryan, you literally stole that Garvey disc my friend!

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

@mrmopar said:

I agree! I got a SUPER great deal on it! It'll be headed to PSA with my next order! Even if it comes back as Authentic or PSA 1, that'll be fine by me. Just to have it encapsulated by PSA will be awesome.

• Options

@mrmopar said:
    I am not sure which year, but a Schmidt panel just sold very strongly on ebay. I think it broke $1K.

I have both Garvey panels, but they could both be in better condition for my taste, but when an issue is that hard to find, you can't complain if one comes available.

I saw the Schmidt, that brought another one out that sold for $750 this week.

The funny thing is, you can get these on eBay cheap from time to time. It seems that while they are rare and very important to player collectors they slip through the cracks for everyone else.

• Options

I knew of both those panels, and those were included in my stats from my post above.
    Both panels went for less than I thought they should in my opinion. I almost bought both, but one is enough for me now.
    Neither Schmidt was purchased by the top Master set leaders, so it'll be interesting to see what happens to them.

• Options

Finally got my Winfield/Blue panel back today. Very pleased with it. For most issues, I'd be very disappointed with a PSA 1, but not with this one. I'm thrilled! These holders are yuge!

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

nice article about the Pete Rose FBI disc in the 06/05 issue of SCD

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

Found this page. I’m a DW collector and I cannot decide whether to separate him
    From Vida and send in alone or not lol. I really don’t care about grading the panel, just want the DW in slab. If I separate them, is Vida worth getting graded on his own?

• Options

@PistolPete2020 said:

Found this page. I’m a DW collector and I cannot decide whether to separate him
    From Vida and send in alone or not lol. I really don’t care about grading the panel, just want the DW in slab. If I separate them, is Vida worth getting graded on his own?

No. Blue is not worth anything.
    I'd keep panel intact and get it graded.
    Otherwise sell the Blue raw.

• Options

I mostly agree with @Gansetttime Grade the panel, if you do choose just the Winfield disc then don't bother grading the Blue. This issue is super rare but thinly traded outside of the most wanted hall of famers, grading the Blue won't add any actual value to it for you as a seller.

• Options

I sold Blue Raw and Big Dave is at PSA since March. Will see him back in 2022. Thx guys

• Options

@PistolPete2020 said:
    I sold Blue Raw and Big Dave is at PSA since March. Will see him back in 2022. Thx guys

I can't wait to see how the Winfield turns out for you.

• Options

Nice pickup on a rare issue.
    This set is so underrated. I haven't seen some players offered for sale in a decade.

• Options

I bid on that as well. I guess I didn't want it as bad as you did!

• Options

@mrmopar said:
    I bid on that as well. I guess I didn't want it as bad as you did!

Same here!

• Options

Haha, @stevegarveyfan and @mrmopar I guess we are the target audience for this set!

• Options

Besides the 2 Garvey cards, I have a few others. It is one set I would use the term "rare" with. They just almost never show up. The same CFL cards are there, but the baseball singles are few and very far between. the line ups were not stellar, which probably hurt the overall collectibility. Lots of average players made the cut and a few big names.

• Options

@mrmopar said:
    Besides the 2 Garvey cards, I have a few others. It is one set I would use the term "rare" with. They just almost never show up. The same CFL cards are there, but the baseball singles are few and very far between. the line ups were not stellar, which probably hurt the overall collectibility. Lots of average players made the cut and a few big names.

That's definitely true with the 1981 set, the only hall of famers are Reggie, Brett and Dawson. But the 1982 set is loaded with hall of famers: Brett, Carew, Carlton, Carter, Dawson, Fingers, Fisk, Gossage, Raines, Rice, Rose (HOF quality player), Ryan, Schmidt, Seaver, Sutter and Winfield. Then a couple players that are still highly popular but not in the hall like Garvey and Parker. For a 32 card set I think that's a pretty strong lineup.

• Options

Player super collectors are well aware of this issue. Usually are the white whale for them.
    Not much information around for these sets, even in early 80s hobby publications.
    I only owned the PSA Schmidt panel, was stoked to find one, and is the only one graded. I passed on a Seaver panel a few years ago, I felt it was dirt cheap, but decided I was downsizing and never pulled the trigger.
    These cards will never grade high, and because of this and lack of information, I'm afraid non collectors just tossed them.
    I'll wager there are fewer than 100 of each player still around today, and that might be a stretch.

• Options

Looks like a rare '81 just popped up. Interesting to see what this ends up going for.

• Options

@Gansetttime said:
    Looks like a rare '81 just popped up. Interesting to see what this ends up going for.

I didn't see any new listing. Which one is it?

• Options

@Gansetttime said:

Shhh!

• Options

@Gansetttime said:

Is it the Winfield?

• Options

@stevegarveyfan said:

@Gansetttime said:

Is it the Winfield?

No.

• Options

@1963ellsworth22and10 said:

@Gansetttime said:

Shhh!

Will do :wink:

• Options

The Steve Henderson/Dave Kingman FBI discs ended at $536! That was WAY more than I would have guessed!

• Options

@Gansetttime said:

More than my insane 3rd Place bid.

• Options

There are some really serious Kingman collectors, I knew they would be fighting over that disc as it's the first one I've ever seen hit the market. I didn't think it would go over $500 but knew it would get serious.

• Options

@Kid4hof03 said:
    There are some really serious Kingman collectors, I knew they would be fighting over that disc as it's the first one I've ever seen hit the market. I didn't think it would go over $500 but knew it would get serious.

A nicer one sold on eBay years ago for $75 but I didn't see it until after it was sold, the seller mistakenly relisted it and refunded my money when I tried to buy the second listing. I'm pretty sure that was how the 1981 FBI Dave Kingman was discovered, no one even knew it existed back then.

• Options

I had a hunch this auction was going to get a higher than you'd think finish price. For reasons others have already mentioned.
    Player collectors always pay for white whales, no matter if they're stars or not.
    Great that this issue is getting more talk, hopefully it will push out more of these cards from whenever they are hiding!

• Options

I see that Dawson is back on the market...

• Options

A bunch put up now. Seriously underpriced even for "commons". Carter went cheap, in my opinion.
    Anyone want to take a stab at which ones will finish highest?

• Options
    1963ellsworth22and101963ellsworth22and10 Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2022 4:44PM

@Gansetttime said:
    A bunch put up now.

There is a new one to add to the known Checklist and that also means there is at least one more to be discovered. There were 22 known but the Fred Norman makes 23, a total of 24 rather than 22 makes much more sense. ETA, the 24th Disc might be Gary Carter, there isn’t a 1981 FBI Carter known and I don’t know how the Canadian issue could have overlooked him.

• Options

If I had to guess, the person you purchased the card from originally had a set on the registry, pulled it off, and proceeded to sell it piece mail. He had some really nice rare cards, including your Winfield. Nice pickup.

• Options
    CWUCAT62CWUCAT62 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 said:
    I thought I'd bump this one back to the top, couldn't pass up this Andre Dawson disc last week

Anyone else pick up any FBI discs lately?

So disappointed I missed out on this one. Only Dawson I have ever seen. I updated my saved searches now. Congrats on landing the Hawk!

Andre Dawson Super Collector, who also collects the following-
    *Baseball* HOF autographs, Harold Baines, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan & Seattle Mariners
    *Football* Seattle Seahawks, Kenny Easley, Steve Largent, Jon Kitna, & Brian Bosworth
    YouTube Channel link; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAyO141lGqcV2fEjt723jUQ
  • Options

I picked up a couple graded ones for what I thought were some fairly cheap prices, Raines and Oliver. I'll add any at the right price. I probably have about 10-12 in total now between panels, discs and a few graded discs.

• Options

Just sold recently. Absurd price (sorry if anyone here bought it) for this issue, Schmidt is very tough but not that you have to set a market record for any FBI issue. Complete panels have sold for $4,500+ less than this single!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165710132134?hash=item269517f3a6:g:gqUAAOSwXo1jPLuM&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoJ/P9dyR9LuDTJz2uwKbHlX0AbJKit0kZQzM+CrZ0Hzugr67dMyowLjUZd7XGVUDtfmpjz/LRedebxNt0uh3cU0QGaUjGLRx164MHX9Oj5iRB0yBSnj3r80dDbc8kC/CSfMY62lr+JcVvvcJk0UGibh6b2sUGH92Km2u+pa+NfXFuJbznt3S/9BhAqKRaZh58ps8Y0Qg2yXUGjOsjFDi5e8=|tkp:Bk9SR-D4tKb2YA

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really like this issue.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

I have only one FBI disc panel, and (of course) it's the same as a couple of those shown above. :/

• Options

@bobsbbcards said:
    I have only one FBI disc panel, and (of course) it's the same as a couple of those shown above. :/

Bob that isn't just a panel, but a tougher complete box! Looks like it's in great condition to boot, panel is very clean.
    Thanks for posting it.

• Options

That's a great full box @bobsbbcards