Home Sports Talk
Options

Anonymous or famous?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was reading a story recently about Wayne Gretzky going to a fast food restaurant in Canada to grab a biscuit and coffee, and people recognizing him instantly. As soon as he was recognized, it was over,the place just swarmed him asking for autographs. After he got his food, they followed him out into the parking lot, continuing the swarm. Would you want to be a famous sports star, and have practically no privacy when you go out, or would you rather have a normal life, and be able to go out without having to deal with people crawling all over you?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 20, 2020 9:59AM

Look everybody, it's Cal Ripken Jr ! He's buying a candy bar, Get him!!

• Options

I've always found it to be ridiculous how people act when they see a famous sports star. Let the man get his biscuit and coffee for pete's sake.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I was reading a story recently about Wayne Gretzky going to a fast food restaurant in Canada to grab a biscuit and coffee, and people recognizing him instantly. As soon as he was recognized, it was over,the place just swarmed him asking for autographs. After he got his food, they followed him out into the parking lot, continuing the swarm. Would you want to be a famous sports star, and have practically no privacy when you go out, or would you rather have a normal life, and be able to go out without having to deal with people crawling all over you?

I once did a TV commercial when i was in the 6th grade, broadcast by a local TV station in Philly. I wasn't all that easy to really recognize in the commercial, but a local newspaper picked up the story, and the next day at school i was swarmed with students asking me about it, patting me on the back, wanting to shake my hand, autograph requests, etc. It was fun for around ten minutes, then i couldn't take it any longer. I told everyone not to bug me about it, and most in the school honored my request.

So for a brief moment in time, i received a taste of what these celebs must feel like. Which is the main reason outside the sports arena, i have never asked a player for an autograph or bothered them in any way. Same goes for movie stars, etc.

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

I once did a TV commercial when i was in the 6th grade, broadcast by a local TV station in Philly. I wasn't all that easy to really recognize in the commercial, but a local newspaper picked up the story, and the next day at school i was swarmed with students asking me about it, patting me on the back, wanting to shake my hand, autograph requests, etc. It was fun for around ten minutes, then i couldn't take it any longer. I told everyone not to bug me about it, and most in the school honored my request.

So for a brief moment in time, i received a taste of what these celebs must feel like. Which is the main reason outside the sports arena, i have never asked a player for an autograph or bothered them in any way. Same goes for movie stars, etc.

I know it has to get old, I can't imagine trying to go into a McDonald's and sit down and have a meal. Just sit down like a normal person and eat your lunch. Impossible to do.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

The example of Gretzky would be hard to turn down.

He's considered by many to be the hockey GOAT, won several championships, marriage that has lasted over 30 years, worth 200 million dollars. The only blemish(?) was some gambling issues his wife was supposedly involved with.

I think I could handle not being able to grab a Big Mac.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

It would get old going out in public and having people chasing you around. Just look what Mel Gibson had to do just to go out in public...

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going out in public can be over rated.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

fast food ? we all know it was a tim horton's that is all they have up there

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@doubledragon said:

fast food ? we all know it was a tim horton's that is all they have up there

Yes, Tim Horton's, that's right. It turned into the visit from heck! They swarmed Wayne, and he barely made it out alive!

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2020 4:42PM

Some stories about athletes and fame:

1) When Wayne Gretzky came to Spokane, and I got a photo with him, there wasn't a rush to see him although it was known he was there. Staff even came over and asked him if he wanted them to keep people away but he said no. He was incredibly nice to everyone.

2) John Stockton, when he's here in Spokane, gets left alone. I saw him at a Gonzaga Prep game one night and people were just ignoring him.

3) Stockton again - he was the lone Dream Team guy who got left alone in Barcelona. Being a 6ft-tall (haha, sure) average-looking white dude, he didn't stand out. He and his family got to tour the city without being hassled or recognized. He even had a conversation with a woman wearing a shirt with all the players' faces on it and she didn't recognize him.

Personally, I would gladly trade the anonymity for being a superstar athlete, no question. Yes, going out would get old, but I think I'd live with it.

• Options

Check out Nick Nolte. No matter how he dresses, the camera still spots him.

• Options

nick always asks for paper bags at the store , he isn't against the reusable bags mind you he just wears those

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be fine with being famous, one thing I would not do is turn into a complete whack job like Nolte though. You know your going to be swarmed so if you don’t feel like it don’t go to a crowded mall I guess.

• Options

hey throw that blanket away it has a hole in it! , wait that is nick's coat

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anonymous. Or technically famous but the kind almost no one recognizes, like an author or drummer. :D