Home Autographs Forum
Options

Jackie Robinson Autographed Book

skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there’s a high probability that the autograph is real. I grew up in the NYC area. My father was a big Dodger fan and he supposedly took my older brother to a Jackie Robinson book signing. My father and brother are both deceased. This has been sitting in a box in my garage for 30 years.

Does the autograph look real? Assuming it’s real is it worth getting authenticated? Anyone have any idea what it’s worth assuming it’s real?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea on authenticity but my own opinions:

1) sure, get it authenticated if it compares favorably to other examples you can find, but if it passes don't let then put one of those stickers in it. I hate those things.

2) look for an unsigned copy in the same shape as yours that has the original dust jacket and buy it so you can put the jacket on yours. Missing dust jackets really hurt the value of collectable books.

Jackie Robinson's signature is highly desirable so if it is real it deserves a much better home than your garage.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK

Thanks for your opinion. I’m going to try and find a dust jacket. I now have the book prominently displayed in my library. I’ll probably just leave it alone. I really don’t have any interest in selling it. If we ever do have coin shows again I’ll bring it to the next Long Beach show and have a sports person look at it. I’ll keep you posted.

• Options

@skier07 said:
    @JBK

Thanks for your opinion. I’m going to try and find a dust jacket. I now have the book prominently displayed in my library. I’ll probably just leave it alone. I really don’t have any interest in selling it. If we ever do have coin shows again I’ll bring it to the next Long Beach show and have a sports person look at it. I’ll keep you posted.

That sounds like a great plan. Definitely update here if you ever get word on authenticity.

JR is one of those iconic historical figures whose signature is likely to only go up in value, or at least not drop in value. Modern celebrities often drop in value as their popularity dims. But iconic people whose importance transcends generations will stay strong in popularity.

• Options

BTW - your book looks to be in very decent shape except for the missing jacket.

Also, I took just a quick look at sigs on line and yours compares pretty favorably, including the "n" at the end.

It all adds up to a real winner if real, and it looks pretty good.

• Options

One more thing....

Based on what I can see on the copyright page you pictured, your book seems to be a first edition. The truth is, many if not a majority of books only have one edition. But, if that title had multiple editions it would be important for the dust jacket to be from an edition that matches yours, as the jackets sometimes vary slightly between editions.