Home Sports Talk
Options

1956 Cincinnati Reds vs Kansas City Athletics

Comments

• Options

I can't find this game on the schedule for 1956. Does anyone here know the date that it was played?

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2020 9:24AM

It would had have to have been a spring training game or some sort of in season exhibition on a mutual off day.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

i like the box score . My grandmother scored every game she saw in a notebook , when she died we found about 40 years of red sox box scores

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jose Santiago's signature is on it which narrows it down quite a bit. Santiago was purchased by KC on May 16, and pitched his last game on July 15. And "terrible" does not begin to do justice to how bad Santiago pitched in 1956 so I assume he was released shortly after his last appearance. Since he didn't join the team until after spring training, this must have been some kind of exhibition game. The last series the A's played before the all-star game on July 10th was in KC, and their first series after the all-star game was in Baltimore, so stopping in Cincinnati on the way would not have been a burden. I'd guess July 11, 1956.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

@dallasactuary said:
    Jose Santiago's signature is on it which narrows it down quite a bit. Santiago was purchased by KC on May 16, and pitched his last game on July 15. And "terrible" does not begin to do justice to how bad Santiago pitched in 1956 so I assume he was released shortly after his last appearance. Since he didn't join the team until after spring training, this must have been some kind of exhibition game. The last series the A's played before the all-star game on July 10th was in KC, and their first series after the all-star game was in Baltimore, so stopping in Cincinnati on the way would not have been a burden. I'd guess July 11, 1956.

Wow! Thank you for that bit of knowledge. I really appreciate it.