Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Arnold Palmer - "Percentage Golf" & "You and" Booklets

LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought it was time to share a bit of research and see if anyone else may have additional info to provide.

Thanks to @jeffv96masters I've been sent down a rabbit hole with these. From the April pickups thread, I had posted:
_ I have a pretty loose definition of card, and this is outside of my furthest stretch of the word, but I still love it. Approx. 9x4" folded, 9x15" unfolded (so it doesn't fit on my scanner bed). From a series of 12 booklets/pamphlets issued by Shell New Zealand in 1959 (pre-dating his RC by 6 years)._ https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12580821/#Comment_12580821

From some side discussion with Jeff, the Shell issue was most definitely not 1959. This portion of the ad on the back of the Shell makes it impossible:

The first telecast of those Shell backed matches was 1963 with filming in late 1961 (one match) into 1962. So the earliest these 16mm films could have realistically been available for distribution is 1962.

Where did the 1959 date come from?
The Smedley/Burdock The Price Guide to Golf Cards Part 2:NON-Tobacco Cards lists these as 1959.

And in the inside below the article in super tiny print is ...

It seemed odd to me that they would be using articles that were at least three years old for these, so off to eBay for some research.

The 1959 issues
Removing 'shell' from my search brought up issues from a couple different advertisers. Dodge & Olcott having the most available, and another from Palmer's Mens and Boys Wear. I bought all that I could find. The front of the D&Os was quite helpful for dating ...

Established 1798, 161st year of service, so these are definitely a 1959 issue. Unfortunately, after purchasing, the seller could not locate the Palmer's Mens and Boys Wear version so I never got this one. Here's the eBay image to show that they exist. Since they're the same format, I'll assume these were 1959 also.

Update 5/27/20: Found another ad variation for Maurice L. Rothschild which also helped me fill in #6 on the checklist.

1959 Checklist
From the copyright line pictured above, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the digit(s) after 30-503X- is the guide number since the D&Os don't have a guide number noted on the front like the Shell do. The golf guide notes there are 12 of these booklets and since I haven't seen a number higher than that on the booklets, it seems like a safe assumption. Checklisted by the text in green box at the bottom for those I know, hopefully I'll be able to fill in the rest eventually.

1 "The Short Chip Is A Scoring Key"
2 "Percentages Favor Lofted Approach Shot"
6 "Avoid Hitting From The Top"
8 "The Driver Is a Payoff Club"
10 "When In Deep Trouble, Play For Position"
11 "A Full Pivot Cuts Distance, Accuracy"
12 "Concentrate On Maintaining Your Balance"

Checking other listings from one of the sellers, at least D&O issued another series "You and Arnold Palmer" and with the 162nd year of service note, these are one year later.

I like these even better since there's a unique color photo on the front of each applicable to the topic of that guide instead of the same headshot on all of the 1959s. A similar copyright line exists inside with 31-503X- and 1960. The highest numbered booklet I have is 5, so until I can track down any others this checklist may be complete.

1 "Club selection is a matter of 'feel' "
2 "Perfect balance is essential in stance"
3 "Start the backswing 'all in one piece' "
4 "Getting extra distance safely"
5 "To correct a hook" ... see inside

If anyone recognizes who Mister Average Golfer is, I would love to identify.

1962-63 Shell
Same checklist as the 1959 issues. Until I can track down one of the 16mm films or something documenting exactly when they were released, this is the closest I can get to a correct year.

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just offering a guess here on the possible ID of M.A.G. Could be he was connected with the agency doing the photo shoot or a friend of Arnie. Or an executive/CEO type connected with Shell Oil. Golf traditionally appeals to the higher ups in large company's, the CEO types etc. Maybe he was included in the shoot as a perk. Just thought I'd throw this out there. Good luck with your search. These are interesting.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the best posts ever!

I can not offer any information on these, but they are SWEET!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is awesome research!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

When I get time, I'll dig up the rest of the back up for you :#

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Added a "new to me" ad variation, the Rothschild added to the original post.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have continued to follow with interest. These non card items are really interesting.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set