Home Sports Talk
Options

This PFT post really puts it in perspective.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

--- "Sean Payton has tested positive, and he’s been in self-isolation for weeks. It’s pretty hard, almost impossible, to coach a football team from your basement.

One player gets infected but is asymptomatic. He could infect the entire team! Once this virus gets in a locker room or on the field, it’s all over everywhere.

Fans in stands? You have got to be kidding. One infected, asymptomatic person could infect hundreds, if not thousands. And it could be anyone. The NFL is not limited to players on the field or coaches on the sidelines. There are literally tens of thousands of people involved in hosting a football game, from airlines and hotels, to restaurants and bars; pilots and stewardesses; cooks and waiters; maids and cleaning staff, not to mention stadium security and staff. One infected but asymptomatic person in any or all of those groups could transfer the virus to tens of thousands.

This is not a pretty picture. We are dealing with a pandemic here. Life, as we know it, is over. There won’t be any large gatherings at football, basketball, baseball, soccer, or hockey games for the foreseeable future.

Just admit it. The 2020 sports season is dead. It’s deader than dead. Live with it, deal with it, because this is the new reality."

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the NFL season is cancelled, it significantly increases the possibility that Tom Brady never plays for the Bucs.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly, I believe the NFL season might indeed be cancelled.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    --- "Sean Payton has tested positive, and he’s been in self-isolation for weeks. It’s pretty hard, almost impossible, to coach a football team from your basement.

One player gets infected but is asymptomatic. He could infect the entire team! Once this virus gets in a locker room or on the field, it’s all over everywhere.

Fans in stands? You have got to be kidding. One infected, asymptomatic person could infect hundreds, if not thousands. And it could be anyone. The NFL is not limited to players on the field or coaches on the sidelines. There are literally tens of thousands of people involved in hosting a football game, from airlines and hotels, to restaurants and bars; pilots and stewardesses; cooks and waiters; maids and cleaning staff, not to mention stadium security and staff. One infected but asymptomatic person in any or all of those groups could transfer the virus to tens of thousands.

This is not a pretty picture. We are dealing with a pandemic here. Life, as we know it, is over. There won’t be any large gatherings at football, basketball, baseball, soccer, or hockey games for the foreseeable future.

Just admit it. The 2020 sports season is dead. It’s deader than dead. Live with it, deal with it, because this is the new reality."

Al H.

I think you are right. And just think we have China to thank for all of this! A test gone bad and then the cover-up!!

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think we will survive the lack of football, you know a lot of people that are really sick from this have a particular pre existing condition , being lazy and out of shape. Entirely of their own fault , from watching sports instead of playing them. Drinking beer in front of the TV with a sack of Doritos.

This is a wakeup call for everyone , shut the tv off and get some fresh air .

• Options
    edited April 16, 2020 6:57PM

and this just in the News about the "re-opening" plan........................

--- Under the first phase of the three-phase plan, restaurants, movie theaters and large sporting venues would be appropriate to reopen under certain conditions, while schools, day care centers and bars would not.

un-freakin-believable, maybe some testing first and hopefully Governors will think otherwise. >:)

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absent the discovery of an effective way to treat and/or prevent Covid 19, what humans across the globe will experience is a thinning
    of the herd.

• Options

id reopen the schools today if all the kids get it and become immune we should be fine. Think of it as a giant chickenpox party.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    and this just in the News about the "re-opening" plan........................

--- Under the first phase of the three-phase plan, restaurants, movie theaters and large sporting venues would be appropriate to reopen under certain conditions, while schools, day care centers and bars would not.

un-freakin-believable, maybe some testing first and hopefully Governors will think otherwise. >:)

It's not nearly as simple as you're making it. There are criteria in place, testing among them. And it requires 2 weeks of positive results before things can start opening. Those places would only be allowed to reopen with "strict" distancing policies in place and enforced. Schools, day care centers, bars and the like can't enforce those kinds of conditions.

I suggest reading the guidelines the government published. They are very reasonable.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be interesting to see what group first will receive/benefit from wide spread testing. Will the first groups being targeted include sports so as to get the games going again? Or have all sports figures been tested already? Clergy, to allow services to resume? Will be interesting to see the pecking order unfold.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    id reopen the schools today if all the kids get it and become immune we should be fine. Think of it as a giant chickenpox party.

I think that is what spring break was and look what happened there.

• Options

@VikingDude said:

@bronco2078 said:

I think that is what spring break was and look what happened there.

no i mean actual kids , not idiots in college. Children. As far as I'm concerned cancel college for the next 2 years .

best part of that no college football

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just read where studies have shown that this corona virus can only live for a few minutes or even just seconds in sunlight. That bodes well for baseball.

Also the higher the heat and humidity, the sooner this virus dies.

So just thinking off the cuff, fans could attend the games in the stands with relative safety, and perhaps concessions could be moved outdoors right outside the stadium entrances. The only indoor use with fans would be for bathrooms which could be well heated and humidified, as well as having stadium employees there to constantly sanitize the bathrooms, railings, etc.

Walking to and from their seats, and the concessions, fans would have to discipline themselves to stay a safe distance from others whenever possible.

This would also work for football.

Games might be better off played during the day. So perhaps no night games for a while?

So all that being said, and based on the current attitude of the general public becoming very tired of fearing this virus, i believe that MLB and the NFL will be played this season.

• Options

steve can we all just stop pretending there are people who want to go and sit through some dismal baseball game?

Baseball was dying more than any other sport before this and if it takes a year off then its OVAH!

Owners would glady kill fans to sell tickets .

Its not the owners fault though its the players , that resist changing the game to speed up pace of play , and you watch if owners try to get a season going infront of empty buildings or whatever the players will be the ones dragging feet

• Options

picture an mlb game played in an empty park , david price pausing 59 seconds between each pitch.

Really this season is going to have a row of ****** next to it regardless so play the whole thing in cornfields in nebraska with no fans , make the games 5 innings that are 2 a day . Quarantine all the players test everyone every day and be done with it.

players , if you don't like it then stay home and you are fired problem solved.

if I hear one more multimillionaire whining about how tough quarantine has been I am going to go postal

• Options
    edited April 18, 2020 7:59AM

I just read where studies have shown that this corona virus can only live for a few minutes or even just seconds in sunlight.

please give your source and I'll hold out that it isn't the Podium in the White House briefing room. :D I know one fact, I won't trust the post of a PCGS forum member for my general health.

the current attitude of the general public becoming very tired of fearing this virus.......................

and again, what is your source?? several hundred people ignoring all the mandated guidelines and protesting in a few scattered locations hardly constitutes "general public" to me. the general public no doubt would like business as usual but seems OK with waiting things out for at least a little longer. my source is the "general public" that I talk to, hardly a large sample, but probably more representative of a Nationwide opinion.

one thing I think the "general public" is very tired of is not being able to be tested, 100% of people I talk to would like to be tested.

• Options

@keets said:
    I just read where studies have shown that this corona virus can only live for a few minutes or even just seconds in sunlight.

please give your source and I'll hold out that it isn't the Podium in the White House briefing room. :D I know one fact, I won't trust the post of a PCGS forum member for my general health.

the current attitude of the general public becoming very tired of fearing this virus.......................

and again, what is your source?? several hundred people ignoring all the mandated guidelines and protesting in a few scattered locations hardly constitutes "general public" to me. the general public no doubt would like business as usual but seems OK with waiting things out for at least a little longer. my source is the "general public" that I talk to, hardly a large sample, but probably more representative of a Nationwide opinion.

one thing I think the "general public" is very tired of is not being able to be tested, 100% of people I talk to would like to be tested.

im not sick why do i want to be tested? I'm social distancing , someone suggested that about a month ago and it appears to work. I live in mass we are the third largest outbreak in the states but I still don't know anyone with it.

Cancel large gatherings makes sense , this is a good time for people to discover that they don't need those things at all.

you are an old man as many of us here are getting to be or already are. We remember going to ball games and concerts and movie theaters but that is all over forever now. People under the age of 40 are not going to care one bit.

We care because we remember going to a game for $8 but thats been over for a long time.

Go drop $500 to see an NFL game? I'll pass on that from here till the end of time. As far as I'm concerned the stadiums don't even need seats at all. I'm not going to a movie theater to pay $40 to see a crappy remake , I'm not going to a concert , there are no singers or groups I want to see.

All these things were already ruined before the virus got here. Thank the team owners and TV for ruining sports

Thank hollywood for ruining movies and whoever ruined concerts did it decades ago . Lets blame MTV

Without being at a mass gathering or living(working) in a nursing home you will be fine , turn off the TV news and go about your business.

• Options

im not sick why do i want to be tested.

my point is that if you start to develop clear symptoms it shouldn't be difficult to be tested, but it is. the typical response is that you should go home and isolate, but what about anyone you have been in contact with before or after??

to the rest of your post, I don't disagree with most of it although I still go to several concerts every year. I bought tickets in early February for a July 18th show at an outdoor Amphitheater, 9th row just left of center. I assume we won't be able to attend.

• Options

@keets said:

>

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sunlight-destroys-coronavirus-very-quickly-new-government-tests-find-but-experts-say-pandemic-could-still-last-through-summer-200745675.html

Sunlight destroys virus quickly, new govt. tests find, but experts say pandemic could last through summer

• Options

@stevek said:

@keets said:

>

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sunlight-destroys-coronavirus-very-quickly-new-government-tests-find-but-experts-say-pandemic-could-still-last-through-summer-200745675.html

Sunlight destroys virus quickly, new govt. tests find, but experts say pandemic could last through summer

BTW - There isn't any info here to me that is all that startling and new about viruses.

Viruses are not bacteria. Viruses basically evolved to be parasites on living hosts. Whereby bacteria evolved to live on a wide assortment of conditions.

I think the government and others are putting out this info to assure the public that while we have a dangerous flu here, it's not some flu-bacteria combo that is going to eradicate all living creatures from the face of the earth.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first thing I think a lot of people get wrong, is that we/they are not trying to stop this virus in it's tracks.

The fear (as I understand it) was/is that with the potential for this particular sickness, it would overwhelm the hospitals. Hence "flattening the curve". The "curve" seems to be flattening.

My prediction would be that the restrictions will be loosening fairly soon and the disease will be allowed to take it's course.

The issue with many of us who post here, is that we are big fans of large groups of people enjoying sports and music.

These will (imo) be the last things that will be opened up for us to enjoy without restrictions.

Just my .02

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2020 1:29PM

@bronco2078 said:
    steve can we all just stop pretending there are people who want to go and sit through some dismal baseball game?

Baseball was dying more than any other sport before this and if it takes a year off then its OVAH!

Owners would glady kill fans to sell tickets .

Its not the owners fault though its the players , that resist changing the game to speed up pace of play , and you watch if owners try to get a season going infront of empty buildings or whatever the players will be the ones dragging feet

Everyone in life chooses their own form of entertainment which others may find morbidly boring.

For example i don't understand, especially considering some of the prices, the interest in collecting Beanie Babies. But i'm sure that some of those collectors would say the same thing about paying thousands for a small piece of printed cardboard, or a little round coin worth a dollar or less in face value. 😉

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    The first thing I think a lot of people get wrong, is that we/they are not trying to stop this virus in it's tracks.

The fear (as I understand it) was/is that with the potential for this particular sickness, it would overwhelm the hospitals. Hence "flattening the curve". The "curve" seems to be flattening.

My prediction would be that the restrictions will be loosening fairly soon and the disease will be allowed to take it's course.

The issue with many of us who post here, is that we are big fans of large groups of people enjoying sports and music.

These will (imo) be the last things that will be opened up for us to enjoy without restrictions.

Just my .02

We as human beings shouldn't live our lives on worst case scenario in situations of normal activity. In too many cases, we seem to be doing that with this corona virus.

A vaccine will be found, certain precautions will be taken, and one day in the near future sports stadiums will fill up again...that is as long as the team is winning. 😉

• Options
    edited April 18, 2020 3:30PM

as restrictions are eased it will be interesting to see how the public reacts and what happens with cases reported and testing. the concern should be that a lot of people will interpret the easing of restrictions as meaning everything is OK, that they'll just get back into doing what they did before everything started. for myself, I don't plan on being as "social" as I was and my home won't be open.

here in NE Ohio cases and deaths have been steadily increasing but there's really no accurate way to know how many people are infected.

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/dashboards

• Options

I'm not worrying about sports nearly as much as the Small Businesses and the General Public getting back to work and on their feet again. These multimillionaire sports people should be able to make it thru this just fine!

• Options

none of the numbers are reliable , even the way they present data is nonsensical. until there is a consistent amount of testing over a period of time.

New york added like 6000 deaths in one day! But it doesn't represent an acceleration , some happened weeks ago. Putting them on one day blows up every chart and graph .

Mass adds 154 deaths in a day and it looks grim but dig into the list and it says they occurred over a two week span!
    there will obviously be delays but go back and adjust the numbers and correct the charts and give us a 14 day moving average to smooth out the line you are drawing. The media presents it as if they happened today.

The same with testing , +2000 cases in one day! That day was a week and a half ago maybe sorta

Turn off the TV for a month

• Options

what the heck does PFT stand for anyway?

• Options

Phillies Fantastic Team

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait until we see the rise in taxes to pay for all of this.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

oh this is the politics forum again ?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Brady is the GOAT 👍👍

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    oh this is the politics forum again ?

✔️🇺🇸

• Options

not the "Politics Forum" but still a very good, very accurate and telling post. you might even call it perfect!! :p

BTW, bronco, PFT stands for ProFootballTalk.

• Options

@keets said:
    not the "Politics Forum" but still a very good, very accurate and telling post. you might even call it perfect!! :p

BTW, bronco, PFT stands for ProFootballTalk.

another one of those ESPN tryhard websites :s

• Options

they actually have some good reporting but, yes, like ESPN they are annoying and could be done without. Sports talk shows are like Coin Shows, way too many of them right now.

• Options
    edited May 1, 2020 7:08AM

@keets said:
    they actually have some good reporting but, yes, like ESPN they are annoying and could be done without. Sports talk shows are like Coin Shows, way too many of them right now.

Actually there aren't ANY Coin Shows right now. ;) Besides you never can have too many Coin Shows. :)

• Options

as a result of the uptick in our Hobby starting around the year 2000 the number of shows and dealers grew remarkably. maybe this COVID-19 anomaly will weed things out.

as a result of the advent of Cable TV there are way too many commentators and Sports Talk Shows. maybe this COVID-19 anomaly will weed things out.

• Options

@keets said:
    as a result of the uptick in our Hobby starting around the year 2000 the number of shows and dealers grew remarkably. maybe this COVID-19 anomaly will weed things out.

as a result of the advent of Cable TV there are way too many commentators and Sports Talk Shows. maybe this COVID-19 anomaly will weed things out.

sports talk radio needs to be cancelled forever. Without sports to talk about its painfully obvious how stupid these people are. The idiots were talking about the oscars or something the other day.

like anyone would tune in for movie watching suggestions right? I called in last week I wanted to go on the air and tell them they are the stupidest people I have ever heard when they go off script but they chose not to put me on air for some reason :#