Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

IPMS 2020 Cancelled

From the IPMS FB page:

IPMS 2020 Postponed Indefinitely :

Dear Friends,

We have determined that we are forced to cancel the 44th annual IPMS show scheduled for June 10-13 in Kansas City, Missouri at the Sheraton Crown Center Hotel and Convention Center.

We are providing written notification to the hotel today, April 16th, so our room block will be cancelled, and cancellations of rooms can begin. The Sheraton has been working well with us during this tricky time, but they understand that no one much wants to get on a flight or be subject to quarantine before leaving or arrival. Let's stay close to home and remain safe and healthy.

We are currently working on the auction catalogs (online only) and other events and offerings we can do through our online platforms.

Our next US currency and National banknotes auction is online now and closing live on April 20th at 2 PM CST. This sale contains a wide variety of over 800 lots. May will offer at least 2 different auctions, both US and World. In June we will be offering a wide variety of banknotes, checks, stocks, bonds, currency, polymer, tyvek. Everything imaginable from unusual to really valuable.

We are currently processing payments and sending shipments worldwide, but we can or will hold packages that we feel would be better held in Kansas just a little bit longer. Let's be safe not sorry.

I have not given up on the possibility for holding an event later in 2020, but we are working on a 2021 date in Las Vegas within our early summer time frame.

We are saddened by the cancellation, but we have a renewal spirit for 2021 IMPS.

Lyn Knight
Doug Davis
Joel Shafer

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Comments

• tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

:'(

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was wondering about the show yesterday. I went to all 40 years at Memphis but have not been to any of the shows at Kansas City.

• TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

@golden said:
    I was wondering about the show yesterday. I went to all 40 years at Memphis but have not been to any of the shows at Kansas City.

In my opinion, the show has going down hill since it left Memphis. I've noticed a lesser number of dealers and a lesser number of people attending the show. It may be a good thing that the show is being moved.

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

I’m super sad, but it’s out of their hands. IPMS is my favorite show of the year... it’s gonna be a long wait until June 2021 😢

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems like this will never end

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that moving it to Las Vegas would be a much worse move.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:
    It seems like this will never end

18 to 24 months will go by quick.

• MoneyMonkey1MoneyMonkey1 Posts: 104 ✭✭✭

A new location might breathe new life and interest in the show. I attended the Memphis show regularly but wasnt inclined to make the trek to Kansas City for dwindling dealer and collector attendance. I hope a new location will make a difference. Unfortunately we will have to wait until next year to find out.

• numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

Call me nostalgic,but,although Memphis certainly had it's issues,I attended that show (both as a collector and as a dealer setting up with a table) for about 15 years and I truly enjoyed the location.It all sounds good, moving to here or there,but,Memphis was/is unique and made the show work for me.Just sayin'.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • MoneyMonkey1MoneyMonkey1 Posts: 104 ✭✭✭

I agree. The Memphis shows provided a great buying and selling opportunity especially among other collectors attending the show. Beale Street was fun also. The last few years though had shown a decline in the attendance. It was still fun to get together with people that exclusively attended that show.