Home Sports Talk
Options

Dr. Anthony Fauci says there's a way to bring back sports — with certain stipulations

stevekstevek Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/dr-anthony-fauci-says-theres-a-way-to-bring-back-sports-no-fans-quarantine-teams-144547443.html

Dr. Anthony Fauci says there's a way to bring back sports — with certain stipulations

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top infectious disease doctor in the United States, said there’s a chance sports can come back this year but with stipulations.

“There’s a way of doing that,” Fauci told Snapchat’s Peter Hamby on Wednesday in one interview of a week-long series. “Nobody comes to the stadium. Put them (athletes) in big hotels, wherever you want to play. Keep them very well surveilled ... and have them tested like every week and make sure they don’t wind up infecting each other or their family and just let them play the season out.”

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it will work then why not give it a shot. The thought of no NFL season is driving me nuts.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

no lets just finish this crap off i think we can exist without any sports just fine. then 40 years from now you can tell the little uns that there was a place where beer in a paper cup cost an hours wages, where tickets for 2-14 teams were hundreds of dollars each and you had to pay for parking on top of that.

If the wee little ones seem gullible enough try to convince them that college sports were a thing :#

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    If it will work then why not give it a shot. The thought of no NFL season is driving me nuts.

It does say this later in the article:

The NFL is planning on playing its season as scheduled. The first sport back on the calendar might be the UFC on May 9. Then, the PGA Tour is expected to announce it will resume the 2020 season on June 11 at the Charles Schwab Challenge. Fans will not be allowed to attend, a policy that will likely continue for a few weeks of events. The LPGA is also planning to restart on June 15.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

It does say this later in the article:

The NFL is planning on playing its season as scheduled. The first sport back on the calendar might be the UFC on May 9. Then, the PGA Tour is expected to announce it will resume the 2020 season on June 11 at the Charles Schwab Challenge. Fans will not be allowed to attend, a policy that will likely continue for a few weeks of events. The LPGA is also planning to restart on June 15.

The most important thing is to make sure everybody is safe and healthy first, but I sure do hope the NFL starts as scheduled.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

If one of the players can't play the entire season because of coronavirus can the team buy another player to take Goffs that players place?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think to much importance is being put on sports. We should make getting thru this pandemic priority and worry about other things later! JMHO

• Options

>

I wonder why Tiger Woods, the guy in front, was attending a baseball game in Taiwan?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Layover on his flight back from Thailand.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

I highly doubt these players are going to fully commit to hotels full time and all the quarantine type scenarios playing out with this thought process. You think guys like Brady, Rodgers and diva WR’s are going to live in hotels? Not going to happen

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I highly doubt these players are going to fully commit to hotels full time and all the quarantine type scenarios playing out with this thought process. You think guys like Brady, Rodgers and diva WR’s are going to live in hotels? Not going to happen

Do they get paid if there's no season?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

Do they get paid if there's no season?

I’m thinking they might not, since the work stoppage is due to an unforeseen event, I’m pretty sure I read that there is a clause in there about natural disasters ect.. even so some of these guys got so much money they are above settling in a Hotel and having their apple cart upset. Just my opinion

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want basketball back as much as anyone but they should just wait it out like everyone else. I'd hate to see them come back healthy then findout some player or two catches the virus and has to get quarantined,then his team is down a player. What if it turns out it's a Lebron or Giannis or some other star player? That could change the whole complexity of the playoffs and you just know that the player will try to come back as soon as possible. Just wait it out.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I want basketball back as much as anyone but they should just wait it out like everyone else. I'd hate to see them come back healthy then findout some player or two catches the virus and has to get quarantined,then his team is down a player. What if it turns out it's a Lebron or Giannis or some other star player? That could change the whole complexity of the playoffs and you just know that the player will try to come back as soon as possible. Just wait it out.

I totally agree! I think it is way too soon to reopen the U.S.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

there are certain individuals/groups of people where I live in NE Ohio who don't believe in the seriousness of this whole thing. they are willing to put me at risk because of their personal belief. I hope those in power making the decision to "re-open" everything think it through and don't make a judgement based on Money.

if they do, we may well end up further behind then where we are now. I personally take it seriously and figure life as we know it is changed in a remarkable way until testing ramps up and some type of Vaccine is readily available.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2020 2:56PM

i think back to the Mavs-Nuggets game i was at a month ago -- the final game before the season was suspended (while play was still going on). if one of these sports decides to play russian roulette and allow fans in, all it will take is a single sneeze in a foyer by an infected person and this bad boy will reignite like never before. seeing as hundreds of thousands of minuscule infectious particles come from a single sneeze and can linger in the air for up to 20 minutes, i'd estimate three to four figures worth of people would walk out of a stadium or arena with the virus.

edit: unless there's some sort of rapid testing available as you enter a stadium or arena (or a pga tour event), there will not be (or should not be) fans in attendance for the foreseeable future.

• Options

@keets said:
    there are certain individuals/groups of people where I live in NE Ohio who don't believe in the seriousness of this whole thing. they are willing to put me at risk because of their personal belief. I hope those in power making the decision to "re-open" everything think it through and don't make a judgement based on Money.

if they do, we may well end up further behind then where we are now. I personally take it seriously and figure life as we know it is changed in a remarkable way until testing ramps up and some type of Vaccine is readily available.

I don't plan on going to a coin show or any social gathering until this bad-boy is under control and there is a treatment and or vaccine for this. It's just irresponsible to underestimate this virus. And I had no idea that it could stay in the air for 20 minutes after a sneeze.