Home Sports Talk
Options

Bo Jackson vs Deion Sanders

LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Entire body of work, both baseball and football. Who had the better career?

Bo Jackson vs Deion Sanders

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neon Deion

I'm a Bo Jackson fan through and through, and hate that he got injured, robbing us Royals fans of what could have been, but Prime Time had the better football career, by far, both with individual and team accomplishments. Plus, Deion made it to the World Series.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2020 2:05PM
    Neon Deion

Sanders is in the Pro Football HOF. Bo was talented but his career was just too short to match Sanders. Both were better football players than baseball players.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Neon Deion

I'm in agreement. Checking the Set Reg for both, you wouldn't know it though:

Combined:
    Bo Jackson Master Set - Baseball & Football 63
    Bo Jackson Basic Topps Set - Baseball & Football 37
    Bo Jackson Master Topps Set - Baseball & Football 10
    Bo Jackson Super Set - Baseball & Football 9

Deion Sanders Basic Set - Baseball & Football 5
    Deion Sanders Master Set - Baseball & Football 17
    Deion Sanders Basic Topps Set - Baseball & Football 1
    Deion Sanders Master Topps Set - Baseball & Football 2

Football:
    Bo Jackson Basic Set 19
    Bo Jackson Master Set 7

Deion - No sets

Baseball:
    Bo Jackson Basic Set 23
    Bo Jackson Master Set 32
    Bo Jackson Basic Topps Set 16
    Bo Jackson Master Topps Set 11

Deion Sanders Basic Set 4
    Deion Sanders Master Set 6

You can pretty much do the same with sales volume, prices, etc. Is it the potential for what could have been that's driving this? Teams they played for? Hype from over 30 years ago still pushing the market? It just seems kind of crazy.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neon Deion

I believe Deion had the better career, only because Bo was injured so much, but I think Bo was the superior athlete, hands down. I think collectors know this, and that is why his cards are so hot.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neon Deion

Deion definitely did but I personally think if Bo stayed with Football and didn’t get hurt he would have been in the top 4 or 5 career rushing leaders

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neon Deion

do we take into account personal style?

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neon Deion

Not even close.....Neon Deion could and did shut down any and all Wideouts!

He could turn the light out and be in bed before it got dark! B)

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neon Deion

Would have been nice to see what Bo would have done had he not been hurt.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neon Deion

i cast a vote for neon, but some serious points need to be deducted for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaDDV-daUdA

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neon Deion

Prime Time baby!

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2020 1:22PM
    Neon Deion

Had Bo played a full career ~ I feel he'd be a far better MLB player and equal to or a sliver better than Deion in the NFL... Deion was the best cover guy on the planet....... and his personality was a franchise alone. Bo had the braun and the power ... Deion the finesse .. as his tackling was notoriously below average.

• Options
    Neon Deion

This is about as close to unanimous agreement as I've seen in ST, except I'm giving him bonus points for Must Be The Money.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bo Knows

I voted for Bo... mostly because way more people today are still talking about Bo and how great he was or how much more he could have done. That has to count for something when looking at "entire body of work."

:+1:

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neon Deion

@illini420 said:
    I voted for Bo... mostly because way more people today are still talking about Bo and how great he was or how much more he could have done. That has to count for something when looking at "entire body of work."

:+1:

Collectors might but when was the last time you read about him? Deion is still talked about in the NFL networks ect..

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bo Knows

Bo was the greatest athlete in our era. Maybe Jim Thorpe is as close of comparison I can think of. If Bo wasn’t so strong he wouldn’t have pulled out of the tackle that ended what would have been a HOF career in both sports. Dion was a great corner, average BB player and shied away from tackles. Comparing highlight reels? No comparison. Bo knows.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neon Deion

@2dueces said:
    Bo was the greatest athlete in our era. Maybe Jim Thorpe is as close of comparison I can think of. If Bo wasn’t so strong he wouldn’t have pulled out of the tackle that ended what would have been a HOF career in both sports. Dion was a great corner, average BB player and shied away from tackles. Comparing highlight reels? No comparison. Bo knows.

I would agree that Bo at his peak was much more impressive as an athletic specimen.

The OP refers to "body of work" in a sports career.

Deion played in 188 football games and 641 baseball games. Bo played in 38 football games and 694 baseball games.

Deion was an 8 time Pro-Bowler with 6 of those times being on the first team.

Bo was an All-Star in baseball one time.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Pretty Equal

I was a fan of both but according to the poll, no one knows Bo...

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2020 1:49PM

I'll go with the one who made it on Sesame Street. You know you'd made as a celeb if you have appeared on one of the three S's: 'Street, Simpsons, or South Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xY0hD-IhPc

Then again, Deion did this cute commercial; and if he's pulling double duty in football/baseball and playing both offense and defense, why shouldn't he get both $15M and $20M? I mean he did help get them another Lombardi trophy in 1995 so it's not like JR Ewing, eh I mean Jerry Jones (no really, they're piratically the same person both outside and in!) didn't get his $15M/$20M worth...though sadly for America's Team they've not been back to the "Final Four" since. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nffM4ulPDA

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neon Deion

:)