Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

KM number

tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭✭

My listings say I have to revise my listings and list a K M number. What is a K M number?

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think ebay is forcing it yet...at least not for me. It is the numbering system for the Standard Catalogue of World Coins. What I find funny is it's on US listings also!

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted a coin to sell last night and saw that and wondered what the heck that was...Now I know. Thanks

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

Ebay continues to amaze me with their BS.
    Thanks for the knowledge.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone even bought a Krause reference in a long time? My brother used to get them every year but the values were very suspect.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

more importantly, where does one find the list of KM numbers?

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2020 5:53PM

@TurtleCat said:
    Has anyone even bought a Krause reference in a long time? My brother used to get them every year but the values were very suspect.

I haven't bought one in a while but I find them very useful.
    I don't put much token in the valuations they provide except in a relative sense. There are online tools to get coin values.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2020 5:56PM

KM = Krause and Mishler
    There are good lists of the KM numbers in online catalogs, like this one:
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/etats-unis-1.html

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a set a guy gave me several years ago. I do not use it for values, but silver content. I roam the coin show floor looking at the back of the coin books, junk drawers, etc. and it is amazing how many silver coins, albeit low silver content, are in the 25 cents each / 5 for $1 boxes.

It also confirms what looks like silver is not, saving the bad purchase.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW, the USA is a country within the world. KM#s are assigned for US coins - in fact they recently began to appear for the 2018 and 2019 coins in various price guides.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just shows eBay is more worried about foreign buyers for growth. I guess, in their eyes, they are leveling the playing field.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

Sounds like more red tape to me. More things to look up. I have 5 different 2019W's listed in one auction and the listing keeps stating on it REVISE YOUR LISTING.

• Options

Hello,

I've always had issues with Ebay. So much they could learn and oh well... As far as KM numbers.. the easiest thing is disregard it.... there are enough issues with Ebay beside KM numbers :)

Blessings,

Jeff

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Krause-Mishler numbers are used primarily for foreign coins in the US. While K-M numbers are assigned for US coins as well they see little or no actual use for US coins in the US market.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭

You do not need to list the KM number. That is only recommended for easier sales. You do have to list the year and Mint now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file