Home Sports Talk
Options

I'm starting to worry and a bit concerned. How about you?

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am starting to get used to all/no major sports being played/televised. As the days go by it is affecting me less and less. Maybe it's acceptance of something out of my control, getting more house projects done, understanding the gravity of what this virus has done to ones mental and physical condition. Not to say I won't be elated when sports returns. But I thought it would affect me more. Helps with spring and nicer weather finally here to help adjust. Happy Collecting to all and here's hoping we are turning the corner on this dilemma.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the only "corner" we're turning is the one you're at when you go from first to second base, we're nowhere close to going "home" with this crisis. I have just accepted that this is the New Temporary Normal and living accordingly, being retired helps. as you say, there is certainly enough to stay busy with as the weather warms and we each reacquaint ourselves with the things in our lives that keep us sane, give us hope and purpose and really matter. trivial things will fade away and I think the World will be a better place because of it.

I listened to "Big Yellow Taxi" the other day, it really puts thing into perspective.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

I listened to "Big Yellow Taxi" the other day, it really puts thing into perspective.

Joni Mitchell ? there is no quarantine strong enough that I would do that to myself

• Options

well, all that considered it is hard to deny that she wrote some good songs and released some good albums. I'm pretty well rounded when it comes to music and I open myself to all genres from all eras......................except rap and crap like that.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2020 6:13AM

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that we have no choice but to cope and adjust to this situation. I miss sports, but I have no choice but to find something to keep me busy and entertain me. I really have no choice but to adapt to this situation.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    well, all that considered it is hard to deny that she wrote some good songs and released some good albums. I'm pretty well rounded when it comes to music and I open myself to all genres from all eras......................except rap and crap like that.

From Wikipedia;

Her 1971 album Blue is often cited as one of the best albums of all time; it was rated the 30th best album ever made in Rolling Stone's list of the "500 Greatest Albums of All Time".

She was a tremendous artist. The song "Both Sides Now" one of the best of all time.

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Am starting to get used to all/no major sports being played/televised. As the days go by it is affecting me less and less. Maybe it's acceptance of something out of my control, getting more house projects done, understanding the gravity of what this virus has done to ones mental and physical condition. Not to say I won't be elated when sports returns. But I thought it would affect me more. Helps with spring and nicer weather finally here to help adjust. Happy Collecting to all and here's hoping we are turning the corner on this dilemma.

I don't see a problem here.

My addiction to sports diminished quite a few years ago when the product became ridiculously over priced and over hyped.

Try watching an old baseball game on youtube, my gosh it was enjoyable when they played at a better pace.

If you have hundreds/thousands of extra dollars to have all the sports packages and maybe season tickets, good for you.

I don't pay $6.00 for a cup of coffee either.

As far as the virus goes, it should be a wake up call for all of us, especially the people in charge. We were/are totally unprepared for this virus, thank God it's not something that kills 20% (or more) of those infected.

The public's response was to go out and buy up all the toilet paper and hand sanitizer, what idiots.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

From Wikipedia;

Her 1971 album Blue is often cited as one of the best albums of all time; it was rated the 30th best album ever made in Rolling Stone's list of the "500 Greatest Albums of All Time".

Based on? Rolling Stone is a joke.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    From Wikipedia;

Based on? Rolling Stone is a joke.

I'm sure you are smarter than they are, you're pretty much smarter than everyone.......................NOT!

The Grammys are probably a joke too.

"Joni Mitchell won her first Grammy Award (best folk performance) in 1969, for her sophomore album, Clouds. Her third album, Ladies of the Canyon, was a mainstream success for the folk singer, becoming her first gold album, which included the hits "The Circle Game" and "Big Yellow Taxi." It was during this time she was already starting to experiment with pop and rock genres.

Her album Court and Spark (1974) signaled her foray into jazz and jazz fusion and was lauded by critics; it ended up becoming her most commercially successful project to date and was nominated for four Grammy Awards, of which Mitchell won for best instrumental arrangement accompanying vocalist(s).

Over the past four decades, Mitchell has garnered several Grammys in various categories, including traditional pop, pop music and lifetime achievement. "

She has won 9 Grammys.

More from the idiots at Rolling Stone;

"In 2003 Rolling Stone named her the 72nd greatest guitarist of all time; she was the highest-ranked woman on the list."

"In 2008, Mitchell was ranked 42nd on Rolling Stone's "100 greatest singers" list and in 2015 she was ranked ninth on their list of the 100 Greatest Songwriters of All Time."

Five top 15 albums that charted between #14 and as high as #3.

People that buy albums are a joke.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

None of her albums rank in the top 500 best selling. I LIKE her music, but none of her albums are among the best of all time.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

I like rock and roll much better than her style too, but she's very highly regarded as a song writer singer and guitar player.

I do not own any of her albums, but can see how many people think she's great.

• Options

I don't think album sales are a good way to measure an artists greatness, it's probably a good way to measure the marketing campaign and their popularity. without knowing anything about either artists record sales, I'd say it's clear that Madonna has sold more than Joni Mitchell. who do you think is the better artist?? who do you think is the better songwriter??

it is clear that Madonna is probably the better "entertainer" but pop music isn't a good bell-weather for much of anything.

what distinguishes one from the other is interesting --- other artists want to work with Joni Mitchell and record songs that she's written, teenage girls want/wanted to mimic Madonna and most men and boys wanted to sleep with her. that says a lot about both.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Yes I miss my sports and fantasy games and cruising the car shows. My gut feeling is my Dale Earnhardt 2004 Monte Carlo is going to spend this summer in the garage.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

The Grammys awarded "Best New Artist" in 1990 to 2 guys who didn't perform on the album.

The Grammys awarded the first "Best Heavy Metal Album" to Jethro Tull.

The Grammys awarded album of the year to Steely Dan. In 2001

The Grammys awarded Best Contemporary Rock & Roll Recording to New Vaudeville Band in 1967 over the Beatles ("Eleanor Rigby") and the Beach Boys ("Good Vibrations").

And there are a lot more.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@JoeBanzai said:

The Grammys awarded "Best New Artist" in 1990 to 2 guys who didn't perform on the album.

The Grammys awarded the first "Best Heavy Metal Album" to Jethro Tull.

The Grammys awarded album of the year to Steely Dan. In 2001

The Grammys awarded Best Contemporary Rock & Roll Recording to New Vaudeville Band in 1967 over the Beatles ("Eleanor Rigby") and the Beach Boys ("Good Vibrations").

And there are a lot more.

They have made mistakes, no argument there, Rolling Stone has too. To call either, or both, a joke because in hindsight they made some pretty bad choices doesn't mean they don't have any value.

While I never bought a Joni Mitchell album, I have seen her on some youtube videos and heard her music while growing up.

VERY talented artist with some very nice songs.

@keets said:
    I don't think album sales are a good way to measure an artists greatness, it's probably a good way to measure the marketing campaign and their popularity. without knowing anything about either artists record sales, I'd say it's clear that Madonna has sold more than Joni Mitchell. who do you think is the better artist?? who do you think is the better songwriter??

it is clear that Madonna is probably the better "entertainer" but pop music isn't a good bell-weather for much of anything.

what distinguishes one from the other is interesting --- other artists want to work with Joni Mitchell and record songs that she's written, teenage girls want/wanted to mimic Madonna and most men and boys wanted to sleep with her. that says a lot about both.

Madonna is/was a great performer who had some terrific songs. She wrote or co-wrote some of her big hits, but I wouldn't put her anywhere near Joni in the writing category and not as a musician either.

Record sales are what they are, a measure of popularity and of course need to be marketed well also. A lousy song can't be "marketed" into a hit record.

I was never a huge Madonna fan either, but did have the album that "Live to Tell" was on. That was a favorite of mine on par with Mitchell's "Both Sides Now". Some confusion on whether Madonna actually wrote Live to Tell or just worked on a song written by Patrick Leonard. She gets credit for the lyrics.

Neither artist really my cup of tea. Beatles, Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC/DC, did it for me.

• Options

The Grammy Awards and anything like them are nothing more than Industry Marketing Propaganda. B)

• Options

So, kind of like the MVP award?

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't listen to Katy Perry. Bubble gum garbage.

• Options

So, kind of like the MVP award??

pretty much, yeah.

• Options

@keets said:
    So, kind of like the MVP award??

pretty much, yeah.

They have been known to get a few of them wrong, although they either get them right or are pretty close MOST of the time.

;-)

• Options

unfortunately, in order to be an MVP in any of the major sports you need to be on the best or one of the best Teams.

• Options

@keets said:
    unfortunately, in order to be an MVP in any of the major sports you need to be on the best or one of the best Teams.

Yes for the most part, that's true. I have always thought it should be the MVPWT, Most Valuable Player on a Winning Team.

But in going back to Joni Mitchell, she really could do it all very well, even if you don't like her type of music. VERY talented person.

I would be happy if I could play my guitar half as well as she plays!

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@keets said:

Yes for the most part, that's true. I have always thought it should be the MVPWT, Most Valuable Player on a Winning Team.

But in going back to Joni Mitchell, she really could do it all very well, even if you don't like her type of music. VERY talented person.

I wish i could play half as good as Ted Nugent.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kirk Cousins says he would find playing in a empty stadium Refreshing
    https://highvelocitysportsnews.com/2020/04/14/cousins-empty-stadium-play-could-be-refreshing/

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    Kirk Cousins says he would find playing in a empty stadium Refreshing
    https://highvelocitysportsnews.com/2020/04/14/cousins-empty-stadium-play-could-be-refreshing/

Who needs fans when you are making this kind of money;

"Cousins will make $150.5 million over five years with the Vikings — a total per-year average from signing in 2018 of $30.1 million.

Throw in the $43.89 million that Cousins made under two years of the franchise tag in Washington, and his seven-year haul becomes $194.39 million."

I don't know how he, or other players feel, but I went to a game two years ago and did not enjoy the "scream continuously for three hours mentality". I also didn't enjoy the cranked up music that blasted me between plays. I'll scream and shout and clap as much as anyone when someone makes a good play, but I thought the atmosphere was irritating.

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@keets said:

I wish i could play half as good as Ted Nugent.

Ted's got you in a Stranglehold!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not looking too good out there right now, unless something dramatic happens.

The baseball season is a mystery.

However with the football season, the big problem is that an extended training camp really is necessary to competently get in shape to play that game. If the powers to be decide in say September that it's safe to do everything again, i'm not sure they would still be able to play any of the football season or not?

We shall see what happens in these uncharted waters.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

if there are any games/events this summer/fall -- and that's a considerable if -- it'll happen without a single fan in attendance

even when there's a return to normalcy it'll be anything but

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they'll go the Taiwan baseball route. They've got fans ...

Kind of.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember awhile back when we were arguing over the nets in baseball. I was against it.

Hell, i'd be more than happy right now to take the dam nets if this stinking virus would go away.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

My main overriding concern about all this more than anything is just the whole uncertainty of it all. :( I mean we're gonna be stuck with this for at minimum at least a few more months.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right now I am just hoping that the Winter FUN Show in Jan. 2021 is a go AND it is safe!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    if there are any games/events this summer/fall -- and that's a considerable if -- it'll happen without a single fan in attendance

even when there's a return to normalcy it'll be anything but

Some in my family feel that it will never be the same again …….. EVER! That is a sad thought.