Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A little Ebay mystery...

Earlier this week, I came across a number of Ebay listings of Mexican coins, many of Durango mint 8 reales in high grade (in some cases, uncirculated), as well as a couple of early Balance Scale pesos. The seller stated he/she was liquidating some of the collection of a prominent Mexican collector. Since I collect Caps and Rays 8 reales, I put 10 or so of these coins on my Watch list, with the expectation of bidding on some of them this weekend.

Yesterday, they all disappeared from my watch list and I cannot find any of the listings on Ebay either (in all, there were well over 30, including some later Mexican medals). I do not remember the seller's Ebay handle (or the name of the collector from whom the coins came), but my memory was that he had a good feedback number.

I imagine that Ebay pulled his listings, which meant that they were deleted from my watch list automatically. But I wonder if any forum members may have a clue as to what happened and why?

Thanks. I hope you are all safe and protected in these parlous times...

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

My cynical guess would be that the seller might have been offering coins he/she didn't actually own and that a few folks were already burned so ebay pulled the account and listings.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paltry offering of 8 reales cap & rays in the upcoming Heritage sale 4/24-27.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

https://www.ebay.com/sch/gdtrfb61/m.html?_nkw&_armrs=1&_ipg&_from&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

He's been posting them for a month now, the collection just visually is clearly old and expansive as stated, he's gotten plenty of feedback on it...

It's a bit curious that this latest batch disappeared, which might indicate eBay yanked them (esp. since his store doesn't show an "away" message).

Why not just message him?

• Options
    gscoinsgscoins Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

I had not noticed his previous listings, which seemed to sell just fine. I will send him a message to see what happened and report back.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@realeswatcher said: "Why not just message him?"

Funny how many times the easy answer is often the best. :)

• Options

He tells me he is having an issue with Ebay and hopes it will be resolved soon.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice collection. I've been following it since the initial set of lots. A true variety collector, it seems. If I was into Republic pieces, I'd be adding quite a few from it.

• Options

To add - some of his W4I examples were very nice, as well. I'm hoping he lists some mexico city portraits eventually.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or somebody bought them on an unofficial offer....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2020 6:00PM

The hammer prices on some of these tonight, though... Clearly this is a great overall collection, but geez.

From what I see from the photos, the envelope toning is generally a little thick for my personal taste, but perhaps the surfaces are a bit more vibrant in hand. Also, while some pieces clearly have nice underlying original luster, I think some of these have old cleanings under the tone as the surfaces are too "flat".

I'm sure well get a few reports on these eventually.

• Options

@realeswatcher said:
    The hammer prices on some of these tonight, though... Clearly this is a great overall collection, but geez.

From what I see from the photos, the envelope toning is generally a little thick for my personal taste, but perhaps the surfaces are a bit more vibrant in hand. Also, while some pieces clearly have nice underlying original luster, I think some of these have old cleanings under the tone as the surfaces are too "flat".

I'm sure well get a few reports on these eventually.

Agreed. Very strong bids last night and a lot of sniping.

• Options

The Tuesday night coins also went for big money. I tried for several on Monday, was blown out of the water and decided there was no point in bidding last night. Just as well, as they went for well more than I was willing to pay.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be price is moving up

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

Cap & Rays are certainly, as you know, a strong (& continuing to strengthen) market, but some of these are going for nutty money for not amazing coins...

Did you see what the late 20s-early 30s Durango pcs went for?! Circ pieces with not great-looking surfaces...

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

He/she is back. Lots of potentially good coins, terrible images that make it difficult to know if worth pursuing...

• Options

Common date 1816 Chihuahua overstrike up to $700 with several days left... :D

• Options
    edited May 2, 2020 2:42PM

@realeswatcher said:
    Common date 1816 Chihuahua overstrike up to $700 with several days left... :D

Someone dug themselves deep on those.

• Options

LOL but I am sure the seller is very happy. I have been following a couple of the coins, strong prices for raw coins with lsubstandard images.

• Options

More coins listed...

• Options

Another round of coins listed...

• Options

I'm the guy selling off the Lerena collection. If y'all have any questions I am happy to answer as best I can. The reason I had to drop off the radar a couple months ago is eBay hit me with a "MC011" temporary restriction of my account. No reason given. I followed their instructions. The restriction was instituted on a Friday and the account was then reinstated the following Monday. It made for a sleepless weekend....

• Options

@GDTRFB61 said:
    I'm the guy selling off the Lerena collection. If y'all have any questions I am happy to answer as best I can. The reason I had to drop off the radar a couple months ago is eBay hit me with a "MC011" temporary restriction of my account. No reason given. I followed their instructions. The restriction was instituted on a Friday and the account was then reinstated the following Monday. It made for a sleepless weekend....

Hey! Welcome to the forum! Any additional insight on what else is coming up, or are you still just get a certain number of lots a week without any info prior?