Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Scans for sets

New scanner with no adjustments made. Do you prefer Scans with black (lid up) or white (lid down) borders for registry set uploads?
My current sets use black.

Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lid up, black background. Always.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I double tape a piece of black construction paper to the underside of the scanner lid
    gives great scans

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2020 6:39AM

I also use a piece of black construction paper. I don't tape it, I just place it over the top of what I'm about to scan. Another thing I do to ensure a "straight" scan is to place a slabbed card to the edge of the scanner glass, then place the card to scan right next to it...I give it a little touch to ensure they're next to each other...let the scan do its preview function, then slide the marquis lines and hit scan. Works great. I always use the long edge of the card, then rotate it before saving.

The exception to the above might be with black border cards, or which there are several in the Ortiz (and other sets). But I did use the black paper for all my scans. It does make the orange cards pop!

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the same way of aligning my scans too and your scans look great!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lid up for all except black bordered cards. I just slap cards on the scanner and straighten during post processing using 'Rotate Freely' in Photoscape.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2020 8:04PM

Align card, Lid up always, dark room, tight crop

See my signature for a guide if you haven’t already read it.

• Options
    bswhitenbswhiten Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Awesome guide with great insight Nic. Thanks. Like the Beckett slab to align...

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I'm pretty happy with my procedure, thanks Nic for the very well done tutorial !!

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:

Great guide. However I am still confused as to what you recommend with refractors.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2020 6:32AM

I use a piece of black foam core board as the backer when I scan items for my registry sets, lid up. Canon 9000F Mark II scanner:

Steve

• Options
    bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

I use a purplish blue backgropund. What I reaaly don't like is the moire pattern in the background especially on the Cowboy cards. I use Microsoft Picture It! Premium 10 for these kind of edits. I use the Blur choice in the Touchup choice from the menu on the top menu not from the left. You then use the Gaussian Blur and use a value from 1 to 1.5 where it asks for it. You can try different values until you get what you want and then save it.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jradke4 said:

@NGS428 said:

Great guide. However I am still confused as to what you recommend with refractors.

I expanded the refractor section a bit. See the latest version in my signature. Refractors are all unique so you may have to try any and all the items I listed or others if you have them.