Home Sports Talk
Options

RIP Al Kaline

TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Detroit superstar, legend, whatever you want to call him, Al Kaline died today at the age of 85. I was only 2 when he retired so my memories of him are as a color commentator and general "legend". There is no one - NO ONE - in Detroit sports held in higher esteem. Others were better - Yzerman, Barry Sanders, Cobb, etc - but Al looms over all of them. He joined the Tigers straight out of high school, never played in the minors, never worked for anybody else. He was a roaming instructor in Spring Training up through last year, I believe. And he was apparently just about the nicest person you could ever hope to meet. I know he was super nice to me when I met him at the tender age of 8.

RIP Al!

Comments

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

he did seem like a nice guy from all the news i read about him

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

Tigerfest 2019

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2020 8:15AM

RIP my boyhood hero. If there was a Mt Rushmore of the great DETROIT athletes he would be right there.
    Box store of my first game I attended seeing Al Kaline playing.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP.

A true gentleman.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

I know where I will be tonight!

• Options

Well, as you can tell by my user name that he was definitely my hero growing up in Detroit in the late 50's and into the 60's.
    According to what I have read, he apparently had a stroke sometime before spring training and the comments from Spring
    training was that he did not look well. Heavy heart for me these past days-He was always so upbeat in his old age and the
    players past and present have been singing his praises over the media spots. He will be greatly missed! RIP to my hero
    Al Kaline !

Tony
    KalineFan6

• Options

Have you all seen the one seller trying some major PRICE GOUGING?
    1973 Kelloggs Kaline PSA 9 BIN $6,000 ! !
    "hoopphil (2484)"
    Even "newbies" shouldn't fall for this one considering you can buy GEM MINT 10's for $30!

Tony
    KalineFan6
    (was KalineFan)

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2020 8:35PM

I've always enjoyed for fun and profit, buying large lots of cards, and breaking them up into smaller lots for sale on Ebay. Usually i flip the entire lot, but sometimes if i like a card, i decide to keep it for my personal collection.

I obtained this Kaline sig in one of those large lots many years ago. I'm not really a Kaline fan as far as being a Tigers fan, but i liked the card and like the player so i decided to keep it.

My small tribute below to an excellent HOF player, class act on and off the field.

RIP