Home U.S. Coin Forum

I know nothing about medals but .....

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

....... jumped on this one when offered .

A well known dealer at the recent FUN show
( seems like a long time ago ) whose bourse was
situated far from most of the convention action
owned this medal.

He mentioned he was putting this out
for sale after personally owning it 7 years .

I thought it to cool to pass on .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a cool Presidential campaign medal -- I remember looking at it during lot viewing before the auction. It's one of only two different William Henry Harrison (WHH) large campaign pieces that were struck later in silver (the originals were struck in white metal and copper) from the original dies circa 1860 by George Lovett. Bill Jones should be able to provide additional details.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tokenpro said:
    It is a cool Presidential campaign medal -- I remember looking at it during lot viewing before the auction. It's one of only two different William Henry Harrison (WHH) large campaign pieces that were struck later in silver (the originals were struck in white metal and copper) from the original dies circa 1860 by George Lovett. Bill Jones should be able to provide additional details.

Thank you for the information ......which auction did you view this medal?

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool medal. Is this white metal or silver?

@coinJP said:
    Very cool medal. Is this white metal or silver?

silver

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my all-time favorites!

• GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be careful with the composition details listed on the slab. They don’t always get it right...sometimes to the benefit of cherry pickers, but sometimes to the dismay of current owners.

Being that this is traced back to the Ford collection, I would guess that they probably got it right, but you never know.

If you’re only going to acquire a few pieces of exonumia here and there, this is a nice one to get. Cool piece!

@bidask said:

@tokenpro said:

I saw it at one of the Philadelphia shows (early Whitman show?). I remember it because there was also another example in silver in that auction that was cataloged as an original strike. I didn't think that one was an original & two of the top political dealers & I had a discussion about that piece compared to the toned piece in the sale that we all agreed was a later strike.

@tokenpro said:

@bidask said:

@tokenpro said:

I saw it at one of the Philadelphia shows (early Whitman show?). I remember it because there was also another example in silver in that auction that was cataloged as an original strike. I didn't think that one was an original & two of the top political dealers & I had a discussion about that piece compared to the toned piece in the sale that we all agreed was a later strike.

Do you recall the year you saw it at the Philadelphia Whitman show ?

No, but I believe that it was one of the original Whitman shows that they had for a couple of years before they started up in Baltimore. probably 8-10 years ago now.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I'm not mistaken Whitman tried Phillie after they acquired the Baltimore show. I think I should know because Whitman cost me a great table deal helping set up the Baltimore show for over 10 years after they bought it.

@tokenpro said:
    No, but I believe that it was one of the original Whitman shows that they had for a couple of years before they started up in Baltimore. probably 8-10 years ago now.

@amwldcoin said:
    If I'm not mistaken Whitman tried Phillie after they acquired the Baltimore show. I think I should know because Whitman cost me a great table deal helping set up the Baltimore show for over 10 years after they bought it.

@tokenpro said:

All that sounds about right as to how long this medal has been off the market .

Try the Ford sale of September 2013 in Philly if my notes are correct.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking piece. Would love to see that toning brought out with some professional photography. Congratulations!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file