Home Sports Talk

How badly (or not) are you missing sports?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually tune into college and pro basketball quite a bit this time of year; plus I usually follow other sports on a regular basis [something about wanting to learn about humans striving for and accomplishing something positive and uplifting instead of learning about the latest example of the worst of human behavior].

During the past month or so of the COVID 19 virus pandemic's causing the postponement/cancellation of sports I surprisingly am not missing sports at all. Devoting time and attention to other things [sheltering in place, trying to stay healthy, spending more time with family and trying to continue to work to earn the $ to pay the bills].

Sports will resume eventually and my attention will gravitate back to same. But for now I do not miss sports at all.

How about you?

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

not much , the hardest time for me is the part of the year that women's NCAA volleyball isn't in season , as long as that happens I'll be ok :#

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm an admitted basketball junkie and I'm definitely having withdrawals right now. Thank god for Youtube though,I recently watched the entire Finals replays of both the '85 Celtics-Lakers and '08 Celtics-Lakers series...Spoiler Alert: Boston wins ;)
    I'll probably checkout some Bulls & Spurs Finals winning series at some point as well as some past Pats SB runs. I don't really watch any TV outside of the news so I just replaced that time on Youtube instead.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm fine with playing a partial MLB season. If the entire baseball season was cancelled I would be saddened by that.

However if they start cancelling football games, that's when i begin getting mad. 😠

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not as much as I thought. Have gotten aclamated to it's lack of presence. We enjoyed golf and Nascar on weekends. Baseball we watched 1 game a week. Really only got into baseball,basketball come post season time. Been a good time to catch up on much delayed house projects. Also missing the local library for sports books/magazines and the movie theaters. But we will survive. Main thing to focus on is your health.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not at all..........so far.

I usually follow hockey, but since I can't see it because I don't have pay TV and the Wild are in a bit of a transition, I'm ok there.

I might start missing MLB, the Twins were looking good! Hopefully there will be some kind of season.

If not, that's ok too.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed March Madness. It's the only College Basketball I watch. I don't watch NBA much, but will miss the playoffs. The NFL will be the most missed, but if it has to be to be safe.....so be it. I miss going to coin shows the most, but again so be it. I hope this is over by Winter FUN. :)

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2020 6:33AM

March Madness is must see tv, so that tournament I missed alot. My favorite tournament is Wimbledon, so this coming fourth of July will not be the same :(

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had gotten the "sports package" from Directv...only $13.99/month, but I cancelled it yesterday. It allowed me to have NESN, and other sports channels, (not MLB extra innings), which broadcasts most of New England sports stuff, including specials I wouldn't otherwise see.

With the black cloud over the Red Sox and the UBBER LOOOOOOOOOOOZER Cora gone, I've pretty much lost interest.
    Factor in all the BS with Pedroia, Sale starting, not starting and the mind bending money these guys make for playing a kid's game for 3 hrs a day, does kinda sour it for me. It ain't the game it was years ago to me.

I do tune it, or should I say record poker programs and see if I can match wits with players thinking what I'd do in certain situations...I'm about 1/2 right, but lots of bluffs and river miracles

Hopefully college football won't get crushed too badly.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2020 8:06AM

i miss golf something fierce. no Masters is a dagger. if all other sports disbanded, my tear ducts would remain bone dry. well, except maybe for the NFL. but only for fantasy purposes. i'd hate to miss out on more free money.

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

For sure. :|:'(:'(:|

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not phased by anything sports related right now, if this creeps into NFL season then I will not be happy. I am bracing myself because I don’t believe we will see NFL this year

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Makes a person wonder how much the landscape of sports will change. If more people get used to not watching, when the sports eventually come back the viewership may be drastically decreased. Less viewers = less advertising. Less advertising = less revenues. Less revenues = less $ for contracts.

@VikingDude said:
    Makes a person wonder how much the landscape of sports will change. If more people get used to not watching, when the sports eventually come back the viewership may be drastically decreased. Less viewers = less advertising. Less advertising = less revenues. Less revenues = less $ for contracts.

Do you mean some of those poor slobs may have to settle for 15M a year instead of 22M! Oh the utter horror of it all! :o

@DIMEMAN said:

@VikingDude said:

Do you mean some of those poor slobs may have to settle for 15M a year instead of 22M! Oh the utter horror of it all! :o

What is it with you always wanting to cut the paychecks of the working stiffs while the worthless owners get to keep charging 10 bucks for a beer ;)

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@VikingDude said:

What is it with you always wanting to cut the paychecks of the working stiffs while the worthless owners get to keep charging 10 bucks for a beer ;)

Forgot to mention.....cut all tickets and food and drinks by 75%. 2.50 for beer....1.50 for a hot dog and tickets $20.

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@VikingDude said:

Forgot to mention.....cut all tickets and food and drinks by 75%. 2.50 for beer....1.50 for a hot dog and tickets $20.

what about that tony romo jersey you wanted? What does that sell for?

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@VikingDude said:

I wouldn't give a wooden nickel of anything of Romo's…...except maybe his paychecks!

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@VikingDude said:

I wouldn't give a wooden nickel of anything of Romo's…...except maybe his paychecks!

His ex-gal pal is pretty hot.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

I usually follow hockey, but since I can't see it because I don't have pay TV and the Wild are in a bit of a transition, I'm ok there.

When they do start playing again, you can sign up for the NHL streaming package. It's about $100 for one team and $130 for the entire league. It works great and is available on basically every device.

MLB also has a streaming package and it's completely free if you're a T-Mobile customer.

@Tabe said:

@JoeBanzai said:

When they do start playing again, you can sign up for the NHL streaming package. It's about $100 for one team and $130 for the entire league. It works great and is available on basically every device.

MLB also has a streaming package and it's completely free if you're a T-Mobile customer.

$100.00 for the full year on the NHL? Without having to subscribe to cable/satellite? The last time I checked into it, there was really no way to get around having to pay around $100.00 a month for a "platform" and then you could add a sports package.

The other option that I heard about was something you bought for around $70.00 (firestick?, Slingbox?) and plugged into the TV, but sometimes the local games were blacked out?

I do have Netflix and the wife has a Hulu basic package. She likes sports as well.

I heard that there is/was some kind of problem with Fox Sports North on Hulu (?) and the games weren't even being broadcast.

Being a dinosaur, I just can't see why people will pay for cable/satellite and still have to endure commercials. I am also sick and tired of the "bait and switch" garbage that promises you something and then obliterates your hopes.

HOWEVER, if the Wild finally sign this Russian phenom to go with this young exciting Kevin Fiala, and the Twins continue to have such a good lineup, I may give in and spend the money.

Perhaps a Hulu upgrade would be the best/cheapest option?

Well, not until next year I guess.

illegal streams from Japan brother

here is the link not much on now lots of billiards , ping pong and women in tights with bunny ears ,

http://live.qq.com/directory/all

click a thumbnail a new tab should open and then for GODS sake don't click anything to the right or below :D

@bronco2078 said:

here is the link not much on now lots of billiards , ping pong and women in tights with bunny ears ,

click a thumbnail a new tab should open and then for GODS sake don't click anything to the right or below :D

Not going there, but thanks.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surprisingly, very little. I am looking forward to the Tiger v. Phil event in May (reportedly with P Manning and Brady). PGA keeps shuffling their schedule and right now we're looking at a November Masters, though I suspect some more of the early events will end up being cancelled ...
    DATE EVENT LOCATION
    May 21-24 Charles Schwab Challenge Colonial CC, Fort Worth, Texas
    May 28-31 Rocket Mortgage Classic Detroit Golf Club, Detroit, Mich.
    June 4-7 Memorial Tournament Muirfield Village GC, Dublin, Ohio
    June 11-14 RBC Canadian Open St. George's G&CC, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    June 18-21 Potential PGA Tour event TBD
    June 25-28 Travelers Championship TPC River Highlands, Cromwell, Conn.
    July 2-5 Barracuda Championship Tahoe Mt. Club (Old Greenwood), Truckee, Calif.
    July 2-5 WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational TPC Southwind, Memphis, Tenn.
    July 9-12 John Deere Classic TPC Deere Run, Silvis, Ill.
    July 16-19 Barbasol Championship Keene Trace Golf Club, Nicholasville, Kent.
    July 23-26 3M Open TPC Twin Cities, Blaine, Minn.
    July 30-Aug. 2 Potential PGA Tour event TBD
    Aug. 6-9 PGA Championship TPC Harding Park, San Francisco, Calif.
    Aug. 13-16 Wyndham Championship Sedgefield CC, Greensboro, N.C.
    Aug. 20-23 The Northern Trust* TPC Boston, Norton, Mass.
    Aug. 27-30 BMW Championship* Olympia Fields CC (North), Olympia Fields, Ill.
    Sept. 4-7 Tour Championship* East Lake GC, Atlanta, Ga.
    Sept. 17-20 U.S. Open Winged Foot GC, Mamaroneck, N.Y.
    Sept. 25-27 Ryder Cup Whistling Straits (Straits Course), Kohler, Wis.
    Nov. 12-15 Masters Tournament Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, Ga.

@JoeBanzai said:

@bronco2078 said:

Not going there, but thanks.

with a name like banzai it should be right up your street

The last time I tried to get sports on the computer by some "clever" method, the anti virus went nuts.

I'll stick with something legal.

Won't have to worry about it for quite a while.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed March Madness only because I could throw a few bucks on it. Otherwise not much. I spend the summer riding the Harley, working on the house and yard, cook outs and vacations. Now if this messes with the NFL.... well that’s a whole different story. I’ll have to invent a cure and mass produce it before September.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

$100.00 for the full year on the NHL? Without having to subscribe to cable/satellite? The last time I checked into it, there was really no way to get around having to pay around $100.00 a month for a "platform" and then you could add a sports package.

Yep. I downloaded the app onto my PS4 and watch the games on my TV using that. You can also use Roku, Nvidia Shield, Firestick, Apple TV, Xbox, whatever. You do not have to subscribe to anything.

They do respect local blackout rules but that's not an issue for me since I live 2500 miles from my team (Detroit). National games are also blacked out but you just have to wait until the game is over to watch it. None of this stuff impacts me at all. I live on the west coast and just watch the games sometime after dinner. Just avoid seeing the score online somewhere, jump in and watch as if it's live. They have a setting in the app so you can turn off scores so the game isn't spoiled just by opening the app.

Games are played on-demand and are always available. You can watch live if you want or watch a game a month later, whatever you want. When watching on-demand, they have buttons for skipping intermissions and you can fast forward commercials. Games take 90 minutes to watch :)

The only thing you gotta have is an internet subscription from Comcast or the like. That's it. No TV subscription or any other package.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's on I'd watch an entire curling contest.

Do they ever autograph the brooms?

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

NFL is my main addiction. So I am fearful but not yet broken. Plus I have always been a guy who reads about, listens to conversations about, and watches old videos of sports. So I am staying busy. But I love things like golf majors, world series, NBA finals, etc so I am bummed.

@hammer1 said:
    If it's on I'd watch an entire curling contest.

Do they ever autograph the brooms?

womens curling! I like the wee scots lassies B)

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I asked God if he would take me a year later than he had originally planned because I'm missing so much sports this year, and he agreed.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I died and was residing in Hell.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph