Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

4/3 Over/properly/underpriced: 1986 Jordan PSA 10 @ $46,000. Verdict; discussion ongoing!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Couldn't find any threads to bump to post this and this was the first one on the search with Jerry Rice in it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353048738517?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

$24,700 for this PSA 10

Key top grade cards just continue to explode. Incredible price on this one.

• Options

@mrvgex said:

The 86 Fleer Jordan and the 89 Upper Deck Griffey Jr. are the pound for pound strongest cards in the market.>

I’ll take a half pound of Mantles, please, and a side of Aarons. :)

No other cards have more copies graded of each and maintain such a high price. Obviously those two men carry tremendous weight in the hobby but their rookies have drastically less copies graded.

• Options
    BriantheTaxGuyBriantheTaxGuy Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

The "overpriced" comments are hilarious. My favorite is "a 10 isn't that much better than a 9". If that's your honest opinion, then each and every 10 is overpriced.

This card is this generation's '52 Mantle. The difference? Mantle is a uniquely AMERICAN product. Few, if any, sports fans outside North America know who he is. Jordan? He's a GLOBAL superstar. The guys in their 40s and 50s now with the kind of discretionary income aren't buying Mantles, they're buying Jordans. He was the #1 sports icon of their childhoods. I read an amazing statistic yesterday. Jordan annually earns more from his shoe deal with Nike now than he did in his entire career in the NBA.

17 years after he retired from the NBA.

If you are sitting there and thinking these cards are overpriced, you are truly underestimating the global impact of the NBA generally and Jordan specifically.

• Options
    BriantheTaxGuyBriantheTaxGuy Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    Way overpriced. Way too many of them. I know everyone thinks he is the best player of all-time, but I would take Bill Russell over him any time. 11 Championships in 13 years (going up against Wilt alot of the times). Even player coached a championship team. Never done in any sport that I know of, by anyone but him. Jordan won his championships after Magic and Larry were 35 years old. Jordan was great, but doubtful the best.

Not going to take shots at Russell here, as he was obviously a great player. But basing your argument around titles is arbitrary at best.

He played in a league with 8 teams and still only had 14 when he retired and also far fewer games to win championships.

No free agency.

Finally, a career PPG of 15.1 is hardly worthy of the GOAT title.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brian,

He went head to head with Wilt. Jordan went head to head with ??????. Took Jordan 8 years to win a Championship and only after Bird was 34, Magic was 32 and the Pistons faded away. They won because other teams were just average. Jordan is no doubt a great player (I have him at 3), but Wilt and Bill could not dunk during their entire career because it wasn't allowed. You think Jordan scores all those points if he couldn't dunk? Wilt averaged 50 points per game without dunking. Bill would have scored 8 or 10 points more per game if he could dunk.

Bird and Magic and Kareem top 10 players. Wilt and Bill, West and Oscar top 10 players. Jordan and ???? were top 10 players when he was winning championships?

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, the card can be overpriced today and still have long term upside. So while I think 50k is a silly price now, I have no doubt that price will be exceeded some time in the future. I mean, inflation basically guarantees that... 3 percent a year over ten and this card would be mid 60s.

As sure I am that this card will do well long term, I am also very confident it will revert like it always does. The price history on this card gives a pretty clear indication on what to expect next. The pattern is incredibly consistent.

So ya, its over priced today. You will likely be able to get one in the high 30s or low 40s in the not so distant future. Maybe this time is different, but I doubt it.

• Options

Once again its going to take the wisdom of a 56 year card collector like me to explain card economics to uses.
    OK just like there are different levels of baseball players sand lot high school college minor league major league there are different levels of collectors. The peeps buying the 1986 Jordan PSA 10 for 50k are what you would call Whales. They have a lot of money and the average collector does not compete with them at all. So for average collectors to say the card is over priced to you maybe but to a Whale the price might even be a bargain. Remember you can fix things but you can't fix stupid at least that's what they told me in school.

• Options

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@rtimmer said:
    Underpriced before the documentary comes out. I’d love to see his 3 star cards get reviewed, the 85 slam dunk, court kings and 101 cards.

I’m glad looking back in hindsight I was on the under priced at 46,000 side of this discussion, I would not have bet it would’ve doubled in a month though.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stills want to find footage of that dunk in the 1986 Fleer Jordan card.

Shane

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea if there is video?

• Options
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2020 5:44PM

That is a pretty nice 9. I know a lot of these cards are certainly being pumped and someone will eventually be left holding the bag but when the dust settles, are these going to go back down to perhaps 70K, 40K? I know that only speculations can be made but how many have already stated that they didn't see "sale" prices reaching 90K+ (even with a documentary coming out) so I guess we will have to wait and see. 2016 Anyone?

• Options

I said don't be surprised when the card moves up to 100k in the coming years. Never would have dreamed in the coming month.

At least we are debating the best player of all time and not some super refractor of a guy that might be out of the league in five years.

Just hoping some of this extreme euphoria moves over to a few cards I own! Haha

• Options

@dan89 said:
    No idea if there is video?

I have a poster (had it since I was a kid) of a photo collage of Jordan in his rookie year. That picture is predominant in the middle. I also bought one recently still sealed.

Shane

• Options

Here is an example.

Notice the one at the bottom left.....rookie sticker.

Screenshot-20200516-215455-e-Bay

Shane