Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

SMS coins - which do you prefer?

With regards to SMS coins of 1965-1967, do you prefer very clean, high grade strike? Or do you prefer heavier contrast, but maybe a lower grade? Obviously we all want high grade and high contrast, but if you have to choose, what do you prefer? Do you like them black&white, or toned? Do you like a really high grade coin with average cameo or a few marks and scuffs but above average cameo? With proof-issue years, I think my answer is always going to be the better contrast coin. But with SMS coins, they seem to be as rare in higher grades as they are in deep cameo (or even cameo++). So both variables have appeal to me.
Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If has a first off the die DCAM, I'd take one of these in SMS60!

peacockcoins

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hands down i'd go for a heavier contrasted coin if given the choice. i've found cameo'd coins recently in sets, just not heavy enough to warrant DCAM and so hence, no submission. from what i see listed by dealers and at auction, average cameo or high grade isn't all that uncommon---not to be confused with highest grade. i figure if i can find that kind of stuff in my 30 mile radius there must be a lot of it about. black and whites rock, monsta!!!!!! i just don't have any yet. came real close last year to a 1966 in PCGS MS66DCAM but one of the big boys with deeper pockets took it to the upper atmosphere.

al h.image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Keets - Its just not fair that the big kids wont let us play. Either we need bigger pockets, or one of us needes to find a gold mine that no one is currantly using. Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    I'm happy to see a high grade cameo. I've never even seen a DCAM in person. I guess if I ever tried to corner a market it would be cameo SMS nickels....
  • Options
    DCAM without a question. I'm still looking for a 1966 SMS PF67DCAM Jefferson.
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    Both, for the reasons you expressed, Monstavet. They are often really dinged up, poor steps (especially when compared with proofs), but also hard to find with deep contrast.
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't trade my 1967 SMS Kennedy MS65 Dcam for a shiner in 68. Maybe it's because PCGS has caused me to consider them part of my proof collection. If I considered them part of my MS collection, I'd probably want both.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    I have a set of Washingtons (65-67) SMS in MS68. ALL BLAST WHITE!! I love em.
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    I prefer 1964 SMS coins. I don't own any of them. image
    Matt
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take a cameo over a non-cameo that's 2 grades higher. They're more attractive, and I feel they should be more valuable. I don't see many SMS coins that are toned, but a lot of them are hazy, and still others have distracting metal flow lines. Don't let low pop numbers for non-cameo SMS coins fool you. The CAM's are the obvious candidates for slabbing, and the others are often overlooked. There are probably hundreds of thousands of the 1965-67 sets that haven't seen the light of day since the penchant for high grade modern coinage has developed. There are a lot of unsearched coins out there.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For halfs and cents I like the cameos and the deeper the better. For the copper
    nickel clad I like a great strike off of a new die. These sometimes have little cameo.
    I don't like the high grade polished circulation die strikes at all. The nickels need a
    good strike and cameo. My favorite are the handfull of apparent proofs (they look
    double struck on the polished planchets), But have seen only two and heard tell
    of a few others.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    I prefer the DCAM in the Kennedy series. I just don't have the DEEP pockets they take. I bought a 66 DCAM 1967 last year after asking the board which was better as I had the 66DCAM and the MS68 which have identicle points. The DCAM is MUCH nicer. I don't remember if I still have the 68 but it doesn't matter. Happy hunting!
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    NOW I know what precipitated this question, Monsta!image

Your upgrades seem to combined the best of two worlds. Congratulations!image
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    They sure do sound nice! A '65 in 67 Cam and a '67 in 68 Cam, near DCAM !!! Nice work...
  • Options
    They're called "Special" Mint sets because that's when I was born! image I prefer the 1966's...imageimage
  • Options
    Monstavet.....nice upgrades in the ole' late Jeff Proof set.
    NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    I'll take the DCam or Cam over a point or two higher any time.

-----------

etexmike
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Those two upgrades did prompt some of this discussion...both are nice coins. But my 1965 in 66Cam has far superior contrast, even though PCGS calls both of them CAM. The 66CAM is also very clearly a 66. So, it has superior contrast, but inferior grade. The 67CAM has decent contrast and superior strike. From a distance, the 66CAM looks nicer because of its better contrast, but up close, the 67CAM is superior. So, this one goes back to my thread on the US Forum: How do you define eye appeal? Both of these coins are fantastic in their own way. One carries more Registry points (for what that is worth). Obviously, I am fortunate to own both and be forced to decide. I am tempted to try resubmitting the 66CAM to see if it might not come back DCAM, but then I still have to decide which to include in the set...a very clean nicely contrasted 67CAM or a less well-struck, very contrasted 66DCAM. Life is so full of difficult decisions! image
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    my sms70 98 kennedy image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill