Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How do you ship expensive cards?

Wondering how you guys ship/insure expensive cards. I have sold up to $2500 cards in the past with usps, but if I were to sell some $5-7500 cards, how should I go about shipping/insuring? Should I go USPS registered and insured with Sig confirmation? Does fed ex have a cheaper option? I am guessing the USPS option is going to run me $75 or so. Was just wondering if there is a similar option that is cheaper elsewhere

Thanks!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2020 8:08AM

I've never needed to go registered but one of the things I do with cards over $1k is package the card in a small flat rate box and attach a legit postal label to it and then ship that in a medium flat rate box. It serves two purposes: 1. if a truck runs over the box I'm fairly certain the small flat rate will survive and still be mailable, and 2. there's no way to pull a "oops, the package opened a little and the item is now gone."

It's probably overly protective but my buyers won't be a statistic. [/Chuck D voice]

Arthur

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've mailed two 5k+ items in the past year and both times I sent using overnight express with signature confirmation. For the most recent one I literally shipped a box inside a box inside a box with actual thin plywood cutouts in place of cardboard to further protect the cards,then taped all of the outside seams using reinforced gummed tape. O.E. from my address to his was roughly $30 and the weight put the total to about $60. I know it was extreme overkill but like Arthur mentions above,I wanted to prevent any potential damage/shenanigins in route. I basically had one job to get my card to the buyer unscathed and my last acknowledgment arrival message said it all "Jesus,dude ;) Card looks great."

• Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

Agree with the above. I sell a few cards here and there, but lots of antique items. I get thanked for my overpacking more often than not. I just sold a card, and although it was only in the $200 range, it was going from east coast to the west coast. For that reason alone I used a bubble mailer, and then put it in a box. Better safe than sorry.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

With very safe care and I send next Prioriy mail insured for entire amount.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use FedEx for high dollar items. The service varies but I always use signature confirmation. I do not insure.

Arthur is correct about double label method. That ensures the package arrives even if the outer package is crushed.

Mike
  • Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, on signature. USPS insurance is a joke. Have a collectibles policy that covers mail.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

If it's over $100 I send signature confirmation, and if it's over 1K then I send registered. I send the buyer a note and say for both of our protection, I'm sending registered, so it will take a little longer than normal to get there, but in the long run is worth it. They appreciate the communication and have always left positive feedback.