Home Q & A Forum
Options

Extended feather crest / crown

PinchingPenniesPinchingPennies Posts: 26
edited March 31, 2020 7:19AM in Q & A Forum

1981 D. I Would have enjoyed this a bit more if it was a better grade coin.
Definitely has an appealing look to spot with naked eye. Also looks like worm in tip of beak up closer.

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but the mark behind the head is a gouge from circulation. The coin took a pretty good hit. There is also a smaller one on the neck.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh oh! Better call Maaco. Reminds me of a shopping cart ding, I hate that. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Oldhoopster said:
    Sorry, but the mark behind the head is a gouge from circulation. The coin took a pretty good hit. There is also a smaller one on the neck.

Yes neck is indented but behind the head is raised die mark or start of break?My 1st thought was a gouge but further investigation I found it isn't thanks for input tho

• Options

Just the rest of coin makes it look like crap

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first picture shows some displaced metal along the top, which indicates a ding or gouge. Also, the shadowing in the 2 pictures supports that the feature is indented.

Considering all of the other dings and gouges, including the large one on the back of the eagles head, what you're looking at is post mint damage, not a die break

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

@Oldhoopster said:
    The first picture shows some displaced metal along the top, which indicates a ding or gouge. Also, the shadowing in the 2 pictures supports that the feature is indented.

Considering all of the other dings and gouges, including the large one on the back of the eagles head, what you're looking at is post mint damage, not a die break

Thought that too so I used the paper and pencil trick to check and it is raised thanks for the insight.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I take a screwdriver and gouge the back of the eagle's head on a quarter, it leaves a large mark INTO the coin's surface similar to what we see on your coin.

Now, when I do the paper and pencil trick, the edges of both sides of the GOUGE DAMAGE I made with the screwdriver WILL BE RAISED because the metal of the coin gets displaced both UPWARD around the edge and DOWNWARD where the tip of the screwdriver dug into the coin.

Stick around, you take some nice photos. :)

PS I'd like to see an image of the paper you made with the pencil trick.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    When I take a screwdriver and gouge the back of the eagle's head on a quarter, it leaves a large mark INTO the coin's surface similar to what we see on your coin.

Now, when I do the paper and pencil trick, the edges of both sides of the GOUGE DAMAGE I made with the screwdriver WILL BE RAISED because the metal of the coin gets displaced both UPWARD around the edge and DOWNWARD where the tip of the screwdriver dug into the coin.

Stick around, you take some nice photos. :)

PS I'd like to see an image of the paper you made with the pencil trick.

Thanks just something about the phone not Me on the pictures.
    Hard to get good pic

• Options

Decades ago I used this method to record coin diagnostics! You might try this when making a pencil trace. Use a soft lead pencil and move it back and forth in parallel lines moving either up or down perpendicular to what you are trying to capture. I've found that hard tracings can often obliterate the fine details.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Decades ago I used this method to record coin diagnostics! You might try this when making a pencil trace. Use a soft lead pencil and move it back and forth in parallel lines moving either up or down perpendicular to what you are trying to capture. I've found that hard tracings can often obliterate the fine details.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Daughter has art blending led pencils. But it's just harder to capture the rubbing on paper with camera Vs naked eye flash too bright n regular too dark. If it was in much better grade the whole rest of coin I would think of pitching it into my to be graded one day jar till then it will go in my to be reconsidered jar but not the recycling back into circulation one. LOL

• Options

Tough <3 Love Dept:

That coin will never be worth grading because of its condition. Deposit it in a savings account rather than a jar.